Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) AV: LAX-LIM $36+, $116 All-in on FareCompare... mistake?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) AV: LAX-LIM $36+, $116 All-in on FareCompare... mistake?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Any chance of getting any money back, or should I just write it off?
I doubt it, but it won't hurt to ask.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I doubt it, but it won't hurt to ask.
I'd be glad to let them keep the base fare, they just refund the taxes and fees.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:56 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Since the devaluation of the FF program is coming into full effect, I decided to just burn some miles, and get better dates for my flight (and not pay the connecting PHX-LAX flights). First class for some segments, didn't hurt either.

Per the fare rules I copied at the time (below) unless you or a family member dies, no refund.

16. PENALTIES
BETWEEN AREA 1 AND LAX FOR -00Y7 TYPE FARES NOTE - GENERAL
RULE DOES NOT APPLY
CANCELLATIONS
ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE/UPGRADE TO HIGHER FARE/
DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER.
NOTE -
THE FAMILY MEMBER OUGHT TO BE FIRST BLOOD RELATION
SHIP RELATIVE.
WAIVER ALSO APPLIES FOR TRAVELING COMPANION.
NOTE -
IN THE EVENT OF AN UPGRADE THE NONREFUNDABLE
AMOUNT SHALL REMAIN NONREFUNDABLE.
CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHANGES NOT PERMITTED IN CASE OF REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE/UPGRADE TO HIGHER FARE/
DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER.
NOTE -
THE FAMILY MEMBER OUGHT TO BE FIRST BLOOD RELATION
SHIP RELATIVE.
WAIVER ALSO APPLIES FOR TRAVELING COMPANION.
CANCELLATIONS
PER TICKET CHARGE USD 60.00 FOR LOST TICKET.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by fti
Per the fare rules I copied at the time (below) unless you or a family member dies, no refund.
Hmmm, do I have a family member who I'm ready to off to get my $200+ back. There may be one or two possibilities, unless I just want to break out Photoshop.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:49 am

Since the devaluation of the FF program is coming into full effect, I decided to just burn some miles, and get better dates for my flight (and not pay the connecting PHX-LAX flights). First class for some segments, didn't hurt either.

Due to an assignment overseas I may not be able to use my LAX-LIM tickets over the Thanksgiving holiday. Rather than just let the tickets go to waste, I was wondering if anyone has ever contacted another person with the same first/last name and told them if they wanted to fly to show up at the the airport with the itinerary/confirmation number and ID/passport and take the trip. Any risks with this approach?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that is going to an extreme that I am not sure I personally would want to do. But I guess there is no risk if the names are identical. The ticket was purchased in John Doe's name, not John Doe #1 or John Doe #2.

Fortunately I am still planning on traveling - Sep 20-29. In fact this morning I have been working on confirming lodging in Lima and Macchu Picchu. I already have lodging lined up in Cusco and still need to work on lodging in the Sacred Valley for a night before and a night after MP. I am looking forward to the trip!

John
Old Oct 20, 2008, 1:18 pm

Just following up:

Originally Posted by zbenye
My itinerary is as follows, all one ticket booked on Expedia:

LAX-BOG Avianca
BOG-LIM Avianca
LIM-CUZ TACA
CUZ-LIM TACA
LIM-BOG Avianca
BOG-LAX Avianca

I want to skip the CUZ-LIM leg (will be purchasing another ticket to return to Lima from another city). Would I be risking cancelation of the LIM-BOG-LAX segments? In other words, will Avianca know that I did not fly a TACA segment? I can't see the itinerary on Avianca's website, so can't tell if any non-Avianca segments are visible to them. The flights CUZ-LIM and LIM-BOG are several days apart, so not a connection.

Upon arrival in LIM, asked at the Avianca desk about skipping the CUZ-LIM leg. They said that Avianca couldn't care less, and would probably not even know, about what I do with my TACA flights. So we skipped the leg.

A week later back at LIM, had no problem checking in for the return to the U.S.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
^ Glad everything worked out!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:26 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zbenye
Just following up:

Upon arrival in LIM, asked at the Avianca desk about skipping the CUZ-LIM leg. They said that Avianca couldn't care less, and would probably not even know, about what I do with my TACA flights. So we skipped the leg.

A week later back at LIM, had no problem checking in for the return to the U.S.
That can happen if the airlines involved use different reservation systems, but as always YMMV.

Cusco, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu were the main reasons for my trip. I thoroughly enjoyed Machu Picchu. I assume your end destination was not Lima or you had friends there - I didn't find Lima terribly interesting.

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.