Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed flight on MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Missed flight on MR

Sorry if this is a naïve question or has an obvious answer, but what do we do on a mileage run if we miss our connection? Since for most of us it doesn’t really matter where we are flying, do we just ask Customer Service or the Elite Line to book us onto another flight of approximately the same duration? What if our entire itinerary gets messed up?

I’ve booked a run EWR – LAX – IAH – SEA – EWR. It should work if most flights are even close to arriving on time. But I have only a half-hour at IAH. I have only carry-on, but what if I miss my flight? I don’t care if I fly to SEA or another destination, as long as I can fly to EWR the next morning, and get approximately the same number of miles.

What are my strategies?

Thanks!!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread over to Mileage Run Discussion
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:19 pm

Well if they try and divert you from your original route, use the "have to drop off a contract" line, justifying each of the stops.

Saw that one in the CMB-JFK deal thread.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Well if they try and divert you from your original route, use the "have to drop off a contract" line, justifying each of the stops.
)
I'm not anticipating that they might kick me off my MR, just that I might not make one of the legs and therefore have my itinerary screwed up.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by pr0digy25

Saw that one in the CMB-JFK deal thread.
It's my understanding that connection points are not guaranteed, unless they are listed as stopovers in the fare rules for your ticket. But even if you have to take a more direct routing, most airlines will give you "original routing credit", either automatically, or at least upon asking.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Also, I have had situations where I miss a flight and get rebooked into a higher class of service. I've had situations where my rebooking is made into full Y class, with the resulting 150% EQM. At the least, they should give you original routing credit on request.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
I am concerned with the possibility of a similar situation. I will be doing a MR next week that will require a 40-minute connection in TPA. My main concern is that the incoming flight and the outgoing flight are on separate tickets. I am completing one itinerary (coming in from IAD) and starting a new itinerary to DEN. Any suggestions, in case the incoming flight is delayed?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but a similar question:
Can you check in for your inbound MR ticket even though you haven't completed the outbound portion? (This is probably airline-specific, what about DL?)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: Oz Diamond,
I had done that for the business travel. You can check in on-line 24 hr before your flights.
I arranged a day trip BUF-ORD-CMH for business on UA. I checked in on-line and print out all boarding passes the night before my trip.

Originally Posted by Palal
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but a similar question:
Can you check in for your inbound MR ticket even though you haven't completed the outbound portion? (This is probably airline-specific, what about DL?)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: CO non-elite, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
I wonder if you stand a good chance of your planes following you on your route? In other words, the LAX-IAH flight will be the plane that came from EWR?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MilesDavis
I wonder if you stand a good chance of your planes following you on your route? In other words, the LAX-IAH flight will be the plane that came from EWR?
Or how 'bout the case where you get off a plane at a hub or mini-hub and then get back on it an hour later under a different flight number with a different crew.

Bob H.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MilesDavis
Possibly -- they're both 737-800s. But I have an hour and a half to connect LAX.

My LAX - IAH is CO 395 on a 738, IAH - SEA is CO 667 on a 757-300. IAH - SEA departs 36 minutes after the LAX - IAH flight arrives. That's the connection I'm worried about.

Thoughts?

Last edited by spainflyer; Nov 10, 2007 at 2:33 am
Old Nov 10, 2007, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Possibly -- they're both 737-800s. But I have an hour and a half to connect LAX.

My LAX - IAH is CO 395 on a 738, IAH - SEA is CO 667 on a 757-300. IAH - SEA departs 36 minutes after the LAX - IAH flight arrives. That's the connection I'm worried about.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Don't worry too much, you won't know until you're on your way to IAH if you will make it. Just make sure you have a good backup plan. Are there any later flights to SEA? What other routings might be acceptable? If you are late leaving LAX you could call and get protected on an alternative flight in case you don't make it, etc.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:37 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
The next flight IAH-SEA is four hours after 667. If you miss the flight, chances are CO will want to put you on a direct flight to EWR...you could let them do that and ask for original routing credit. Or you could try to get them to put you on DL through SLC?

In my experience, Continental pads their flight times pretty well, so you may not end up having a problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.