Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

What to say when people asks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Last weekend I couldn't get my return trip checked in and thus no bp. I arrived at PHX and walked out the gate and stopped at the podium to ask for bp, and interestingly my return trip is at the same gate, with departure in 45 min.

GA asks 'how did you get through security?' and scrutinized me, her look turning serious.

I replied that I just arrived on another flight.

GA says 'oh ok', asks for my name, and starts to type away.

The nosy lady behind me steps up next to me and says 'but you just got off of THAT plane'

I said 'yes', not wanting to explain myself further.

She asks, 'didn't that plane just arrive from Chicago?', 'yes' I said.

She asks, 'and you're going right back to Chicago?', 'yes' I replied again.

The GA is still typing but now following this exchange. I'm not too happy with this lady grilling me at the podium.

She continues, 'why would you come here and fly right back? are you one of those air marshals?'

I replied, 'no I'm not an air marshal, but if I was, I wouldn't tell you either. they're undercover for a reason, and I don't think you're supposed to go around asking if somebody is an air marshal.'

The woman looks surprised by my answer and ends her questioning. The GA chuckles and hands me my two return trip bps. I thank her and walk away.

*** My question is: What the heck do you do, when people ask details? Lie? Obviously if airline employees ask, I answer truthfully. However with pa and ma kettle, I'd rather not spread the word.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Well, you could tell the truth, that you're accumulating miles for that dream trip to _____ (fill in the blank), or that you just love to fly, or that it's a compulsion and you're seeking treatment, or "AA knows why I fly, ask them."
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:50 pm
J-M
Suspended

What I do and why I do it is no business of some idiot behind me in the line.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, the GA would know who the FAM is, so no reason to ask. It's not secret to them.

That's a reason I don't get the BP at the gate that I just arrived at. I try to go to the lounge or a different gate, or otherwise walk away first and then return. Explaining it's a mileage run also works.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Several times over the years I had to fly to a city just to give someone some papers to sign. I would return home almost immediately.

It's no one's business what you are doing or why.

I wouldn't have answered that nosy woman at all. If I had to I would say 'none of your business'.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Realistic situation for any MR Runner.
Any vague but witty answers? I liked the one about AA.

I am a pretzel connoisseur. I bet you $5 the pretzels on this flight aren't as good as the ones I had coming here?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Tell them you came for a great cup of coffee, sandwich, BBQ, something, and have they tried the place around the corner, becuase you are getting ready to go down there and pick something up.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Well, you could tell the truth, that you're accumulating miles for that dream trip to _____ (fill in the blank), or that you just love to fly, or that it's a compulsion and you're seeking treatment, or "AA knows why I fly, ask them."
I'm still laughing out loud w/ your responses. I will definitely use them on my next trip.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS/MVP, *Wood G
I've used the lunch excuse. My girlfriend was a flight attendant on the last one. This $100 flight gets me to x status/miles, which I use for <business or first class ticket> to <fabulous destination> for free. I look for signatures in the inflight magazine from other mile junkies I know online. Needed a newspaper from <city you landed in>. Got on the wrong plane, need to get back. Tell them the government forbids you to talk about your actions due to national security.

Who cares what people think. When asked by TSA/customs/immigration/etc. I tell the truth. Some shake their heads, some understand (and know of our little site here). Some other passenger asks, make it up and make it crazy.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Just be really careful the way you say "none of your business". Nothing sours a GA's mood faster than a snotty passenger, even if you thought you came across as innocent.

A few weeks ago I was doing a quick turn at IAD to SFO after coming in on a redeye from LAX. I was waitlisted for an upgrade with a CR-1 that hadn't cleared when I left LAX. I got my new BP at the RCC, but the GA had one waiting for me too at the start of boarding. She paged me, handed me my bp, and told me that she was very confused by my PNR. The questioning was more inquisitive than accusational, so she got the "dream vacation" schpiel, rather than the MYOB schpiel, but I was quite nervous, since she was able to recite from memory my flights, connections and seats!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
These answers are great. I like the pretzel connisour.

I would tell them though, to mind their own business
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:58 pm

I love how the kettles assume the plane just flies back and forth to the same airport all day. Now I know that usually a plane coming into a smaller airport will likely return to its origin, but once back at the hub it is fair game for a new destination.

When I flew SYR->ORD regularly *every* flight had an old lady shouting to her husband "I bet this plan just goes back and forth all day" to which I would usually not say anything. Sometimes I would actually say, "No, this plane will go to XXX after Chicago. The next plane to SYR will be a CRJ200, not a 700. After a comment like that they would usually ask if I'm a flight attendant.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by cstead
Just be really careful the way you say "none of your business". Nothing sours a GA's mood faster than a snotty passenger, even if you thought you came across as innocent.
I thought we were being snotty to nosy passenger behind us in line, not the GA.

Just my luck usually after a comment like that I end up seated next to that person.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NW SE, WN, Hertz 5*
I have not ran into this (yet). However, I'm using the pretzel line if I ever do!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've returned to JFK so often from Japan (and points beyond) that there's one particular immigration agent who now recognizes me before I hand over my passport and asks "business or pleasure this time?" Took several minutes of explaining to him the first couple of times how a person could fly LAX-NYC-SIN and back in under 72 hours and accumulate over 50k miles for less than $1,000, including tax. And do 3/4 of it in Business Class. Now, he just stamps the passport, laughs and welcomes me back.

Airline employees often ask if I'd like them to find me more direct flights instead of my "milk run" itin. I politely decline, explaining that the "more miles the better."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.