Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Customs Problems

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:43 pm

I have traveled the world and I have only had one incident and that was at Vancouver and it was even before 9.11. I was questioned for quite a while and I was not happy when I was finally allowed to enter. Having read these, I probably will not be returning any time soon - its okay, too - plenty to see around the world anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 1:47 pm

The Canadian customs experience can't be dismissed as trivial. Four years ago I joined a company, and soon afterwards one of my team refused to return to Canada. I told him that part of his job description was going to our 2 Canadian offices, which only encompassed 5% of his work. He resigned rather than go back to Canada.

Granted, there were other factors such as he wasn't happy with things that transpired before I became his manager, but the directive to go to Canada was the final straw. At that time I didn't understand why he was so adamant about refusing to go back. Now I understand.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:50 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by fti
I would probably only do this upon entering the US since they could not deny me entry into my own country without reasonable cause.
Just remember, you have no rights while in customs. You are still considered outside the US. The best thing you can always do is tell them the truth and answer their questions.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by cxn
Just remember, you have no rights while in customs. You are still considered outside the US. The best thing you can always do is tell them the truth and answer their questions.
sure sure, but (A):
must they SHOVE the fact that you have no rights down your throat every time you travel these days? I think some customs and immigration personnel actually get off of the fact that these days they very much can and will do just that! I really do!

(B):
the complicated story is often what gets you delayed so maybe it's better to just say what you want them to hear as long as you are not lying. There's certainly a difference between being honest and telling the whole truth, and lying and not telling a lie. Anyone who is good at applying lawful tax loopholes (or for that matter, finding loopholes in mileage promos often found right here on FT) would know that!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cxn
People have rights while in customs, just not the same set as applicable at points well beyond a port of entry (whatever the country takes the border area or port of entry to be).
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:08 am

AVOID CANADA AT ALL COSTS!

I was to meet my 16 year old son at YVR on July 21 and he was denied entry, detained overnight with adults and sent back to Vegas the next evening. His "crime"? CBPS accused him of running away from home, stealing $ from his mom, and trying to fly to SE Asia with me. I was "red-flagged" and had multiple NCIC background searches done on my passport.

Anyone know a good children's rights attorney?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by philipperv

I was to meet my 16 year old son at YVR on July 21 and he was denied entry, detained overnight with adults and sent back to Vegas the next evening. His "crime"? CBPS accused him of running away from home, stealing $ from his mom, and trying to fly to SE Asia with me. I was "red-flagged" and had multiple NCIC background searches done on my passport.

well this is why I never like it when I hear of parents who let their kids face the law whenever they get into trouble growing up, but I take it your kid did NOT break any laws, but the people there assumed he must have because, well, their stupid kids would have.
That's stupidity in power, and they will assume the worst because, like I said, they GET OFF ON IT!!!!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
well this is why I never like it when I hear of parents who let their kids face the law whenever they get into trouble growing up, but I take it your kid did NOT break any laws, but the people there assumed he must have because, well, their stupid kids would have.
That's stupidity in power, and they will assume the worst because, like I said, they GET OFF ON IT!!!!
If my son had broken any Canadian laws entering the country I would have "fed him to the wolves" but he had his passport on him, had no U.S. arrests and a return ticket back to the U.S. The CBPS kept badgering him so much because we were going to have a day trip in Vancouver then take a bus to the Seattle area where he would attend a summer workshop and they had trouble believing our itinerary.

Anyway, his Senator and Congressman will be contacted but i'm having trouble getting a Canadian lawyer to take the case. Any referrals would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
The simple fact is: the travel patterns of mileage runners are the same as illegal immigrants. Think of it - Arriving in a country with no real address except a hotel, often travelling alone, and usually looking like the part to fool customs.

Just the price we pay for elite status.

As for Canadians and illegal immigrants - may I suggest they put up exit controls to see who really leaves. Unless this is done - they have no idea how many illegals are in the country. If people stop and pay a toll fee before they cross the border, I am sure it is pretty simple to frop off your departure card as well (oh yeah - what card?) -
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by cxn
I'm not sure about the United States, but atleast in Canada at a POE you have all the rights and freedoms granted under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:06 am

To put a spin on this canuck bashing....I am a UK passport holder and going to Canada is about 1/20 of the hassle it is to travel into the US. I crossed at 1000 islands from CA to US at Xmas and was questioned for sometime, the same questions asked over and over again, I assume to catch me out. Finally I was allowed through after being photographed and finger printed. Returning, I just showed my passport while still in my hand. While it was worst at this crossing, this isn't untypical of my experience of landing in the US every single time I travel there (about 3 times a year).
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by COOLIO
To put a spin on this canuck bashing....I am a UK passport holder and going to Canada is about 1/20 of the hassle it is to travel into the US.
Thanks for the perspective, coolio, although I think you're interupting a "bash Canada" thread.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
I'm not sure about the United States, but atleast in Canada at a POE you have all the rights and freedoms granted under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Not so sure about this, unfortunately, as you are one of the people who advocates using the "not withstanding" clause.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=charter
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:29 pm

In the matter of an individual's right against search and seziure vs. the security of a society, I'll surrender some individual rights in the name of safety. But then again I'm not really surrending anything as the Supreme Court has ruled that normal customs processing is not in violation of the Charter.

What I was referring to was the right to speak with legal counsel... normal customs processing includes baggage search, pocket/wallet search and a frisk (only for weapons in the name of Officer Safety, not to locate suspect contraband).

Once you get into personal searches and or detainment for investigative purposes then an Officer risks Charter violations should they not afford the individual the right to speak with counsel.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by philipperv

Makes me glad that when my 14 yr old sister and my 16yr old self traveled from SMF to BKK by ourselves, that we didn't have anyone give us a second glance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.