Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: How to specify the fare basis code on ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TIP: How to specify the fare basis code on ITA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by Tclin
Are you sure YY fare exists, which has a fare basis code YRT, between FRA and LON? "YRT" is not a generic code for all unrestricted full Y fares. (e.g. YR) I am seeing YIFRT fare by using the syntax below, although not sure if this fare fullfill your requirements.

FRA:: / F YY.FRA-LON (or add, ".YIFRT")
LON::

Also, in case, you are looking for LH fllight:
LH finalises to abandon IATA fares
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723020
Thanks Tclin - you answered my question. The problem I was facing wasn't the fare basis (though you're right that YIFRT works - i'd made a wrong guess for "yrt").

My problem was that following the instructions from the OP I was adding a dot after "lon" when I was trying to leave the fare basis undefined. And that never seemed to work. Spelling it without the dot yields the results I wanted.

Now does someone have an answer for my Otp-nyc issue also ?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:37 am
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by Cyba
Also, does anyone know whether this method can be used to specify the fare to be used when a trip involves a stop-over? For instance should I be able to use this method to specify that a trip involving OTP-LON and LON-NYC on different dates should use a specific BA fare (say otp+nyc.TLRCEUR)? I'm getting a no trips found error when I try to do this.
This should work.

I just tried pricing a multi-city trip OTP-LON, LON-NYC, NYC-OTP on the default dates, specifying the fare with /f BA.OTP+NYC.TLRCEUR for the first segment, and it priced out okay using that fare.

It's strange, but we don't seem to have any one-way fares applicable to that market, so you have to come back to OTP.

Could you let me know what you were trying in more detail?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Where does this string go? I must be thick, but I cant find a place to type these commands in.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
This should work.

I just tried pricing a multi-city trip OTP-LON, LON-NYC, NYC-OTP on the default dates, specifying the fare with /f BA.OTP+NYC.TLRCEUR for the first segment, and it priced out okay using that fare.

It's strange, but we don't seem to have any one-way fares applicable to that market, so you have to come back to OTP.

Could you let me know what you were trying in more detail?
Thanks. I've played a bit more with it and was able to get a partial answer to my query. If I leave the NYC-OTP leg undefined and the cabin selected as "cheapest available" then I generate a ticket outbound in T class and return on the lowest available economy fare. I also generate a result if I specify the same tlrceur fare in the return leg.

But if I try to combine the outbound fare with a different inbound fare (i tried WFFEUR and DFFEUR) then I get no results. I also get no results if I leave the fare undefined on the return but I select "business class or higher" in the cabin.

I'm basically trying to get an OTP-NYC return with the outbound in T class and a stopover in London and a return in club world in D class.

If you want to take this off-line then I'm happy to PM you with more details.

Thanks for your help
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by stevenryals
Where does this string go? I must be thick, but I cant find a place to type these commands in.
It goes in the From and/or To boxes (where ordinary mortals would just type airport codes ).

See this ITA help page for an example.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:36 am

Help with limiting the fare basis search

Need help with limiting the fare basis search on ITA. My below input is not returning results, although an earlier unrestricted fare search brought up the same fares.

lax/tyo rt

so, I enter:
lax/ tyo
sq.lax+tyo.VMSP3

and tyo/ lax
sq.lax+tyo.VMSP3

ita gives me an error message regarding my code.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:51 am

Programs: (almost) everything!
Originally Posted by flyerred
Need help with limiting the fare basis search on ITA. My below input is not returning results, although an earlier unrestricted fare search brought up the same fares.

lax/tyo rt

so, I enter:
lax/ tyo
sq.lax+tyo.VMSP3

and tyo/ lax
sq.lax+tyo.VMSP3

ita gives me an error message regarding my code.
I could find the VMSP3 fare by using:
LAX::/F SQ.LAX+TYO.VMSP3
TYO::/F SQ.LAX+TYO.VMSP3
(both "Month-long search" and "Specific dates search")

My guesses why ITA does not give you valid search result are:
1. missing "/F" from your syntax
2. your departure date (if you are using "Specific dates search") is not Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu. The fare does not allow Fri/Sat/Sun departure and/or not from January 18 through March 26.
3. Violation of minimum/maximum stay requirement
4. No V class seat(s) on your travel date(s)
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:16 pm

Thanks for your help. I noticed I was missing the /F in my commands. Now, I need to figure out how to book this flight, since none of the online booking sites seem to bring it up.

I also noticed that when I try to add a third leg in multicity search using the same valid syntax, I will get an error message.

lax/ tyo
depart:LAX / F SQ.LAX+TYO.VMSP3
destination:TYO

tyo/ lax
depart:TYO / F SQ.TYO+LAX.VMSP3
destination:LAX

yvr/ sea
depart:yvr
destination:sea

Error
Originally Posted by Tclin
I could find the VMSP3 fare by using:
LAX::/F SQ.LAX+TYO.VMSP3
TYO::/F SQ.LAX+TYO.VMSP3
(both "Month-long search" and "Specific dates search")

My guesses why ITA does not give you valid search result are:
1. missing "/F" from your syntax
2. your departure date (if you are using "Specific dates search") is not Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu. The fare does not allow Fri/Sat/Sun departure and/or not from January 18 through March 26.
3. Violation of minimum/maximum stay requirement
4. No V class seat(s) on your travel date(s)

Last edited by flyerred; Jan 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I'm trying to search for a UA SFO-LHR SWUable fare. Do I have this right: SFO :: / F bc=w? or is ITA experiencing problems right now? TIA.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:19 am

How to specify multiple fare basis code?

I have searched but didn't find an answer for my problem:

How can I specify mutliple fare basis code in one single search process? (I know how to do it with

As an example: I want to specify a return flight from ZRH-TBS with two different fare basis code (either I fly with fare basis code one or fare basis code two, both with different airlines).

If I enter '/ f tk.zrh-tbs.WLN2PRO; /f az.zrh-tbs.LSPEU6' or '/ f ..WLN2PRO; /f ..LSPEU6' or '/ f ..WLN2PRO|f ..LSPEU6' as advanced routing code and search with flexible search, ITA will accept this query but will show me only the flights with the first fare basis (WLN2PRO). What do I wrong?

Some help would be nice! Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
In a recent thread, I showed how you can specify the booking code in ITA.

Here's another unpublished feature of the ITA software. This one allows you to specify the fare basis code.

I'm no expert on fare basis codes, but I suspect this will be useful to some FTers.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

CONSTRAINING FARE BASIS CODES:

Command is: "f CC.AAA+BBB.FFFFF" or "f CC.AAA+BBB.FFFFF|..."
where CC is carrier code, AAA and BBB are fare origin
and destination city, FFFFF is fare basis code

Ex: fare only with NW BOS-LAX YUP fares:
to : LAX::/ f nw.bos+lax.yup

Ex: fare with either YUP or F fares on any airline and between any
to : LAX::/ f ..yup|..f

Ex: fare using only "through" fares
to : LAX::/ f .bos+lax.

Ex: fare using only NW YUP fares or UA F fares:
to : LAX::/ f nw..yup|ua..f

More to come…
great post, I wish I knew this earlier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.