Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2023 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information. For UA, choose PQF, PQP or BIS (for MM runners): Deleted the China visa question.

Departure Airport:
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed:
Maximum Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.

Please post the exact amount of miles needed. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who have risen to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions.

‘Please follow the instructions for posting in this thread which can be found in the wiki. DO NOT CREATE A NEW THREAD

These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother.

Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
With the increased PQP requirements for the 2023 qualification year, I'm already starting to plan PQF runs from the Northeast. This will mostly be an informational post rather than an ask for help. Raleigh seems to be the sweet spot for cheaper flights for the beginning of the year

Departure Airport: Northeast (NYC/BOS)
Miles (PQF/PQP/BIS, choose one) Needed: PQF
Maximum Budget: N/A
Available Travel Dates: Jan/Feb
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA Metal
Route(s) You've Already Searched:

EWR-IAD-RDU-IAD-LGA $161
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...fN5BZDyDAuhen7

BOS-IAD-RDU-IAD-LGA $163
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...pCEaBM9HnB3wL7

Second place seems to be Atlanta
LGA-IAD-ATL-IAD-LGA $187
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...6LmqqHRZdzQpK9

Bonus Charleston flight
HPN-ORD-EWR-CHS-IAD-LGA $221
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...QW6xSRdf7qgjS7

Also one thing I've noticed is that UA will sell basic economy fares in a non-N fare class internationally, so be careful when searching for short hops to Canada. I normally use Fare Extension Codes "f ~bc=n" when searching on ITA Matrix but because these Basic fares aren't in N this won't filter them out.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:09 am

Here's an interesting domestic mileage run-style flight for BIS and PQF from Puerto Rico:
BQN-EWR-LAS-LAX-HNL $318
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...Bas8U7vwkyFS96

This seems to be a combination of BQN-LAS and LAS-HNL fare basis. Wondering what other cool routing tricks exist from PR.

Also BQN-EWR-SAN-SFO-KOA $303
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...HT65UEWUkJJrz8

Last edited by JALsnipe; Jan 4, 2023 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by JALsnipe

Also one thing I've noticed is that UA will sell basic economy fares in a non-N fare class internationally, so be careful when searching for short hops to Canada. I normally use Fare Extension Codes "f ~bc=n" when searching on ITA Matrix but because these Basic fares aren't in N this won't filter them out.
Excellent advice. I’ve been scouring ITA Matrix for bargain flights; they’re tough to fine. I’m searching from LAX (SNA, BUR, ONT, even PSP or SAN) and they’re tough—actually impossible—to find. I’ll keep searching. I miss the days when LAX/BOS/SFO/BOS/LAX could be found for $300 - $400 all in. I really miss the quick turns on LAX/SFO/SIN/SFO/LAX for $400 - $500. “N” fares and N fares disguised as an L are sitting in wait. Fortunately, United gives a warning. I’ll keep looking and share what, if anything, I find.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Excellent advice. I’ve been scouring ITA Matrix for bargain flights; they’re tough to fine. I’m searching from LAX (SNA, BUR, ONT, even PSP or SAN) and they’re tough—actually impossible—to find. I’ll keep searching. I miss the days when LAX/BOS/SFO/BOS/LAX could be found for $300 - $400 all in. I really miss the quick turns on LAX/SFO/SIN/SFO/LAX for $400 - $500. “N” fares and N fares disguised as an L are sitting in wait. Fortunately, United gives a warning. I’ll keep looking and share what, if anything, I find.
Your options aren't quite as good as on the east coast, but you still have Las Vegas:

LAX-SFO-LAS-LAX $168
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...9LGYXrALnfLMo8

SAN-LAX-LAS-LAX-SAN $197
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...Gv34CQir43xWx5

Last year I was able to find SFO-LAX-LAS-LAX-SFO for $147 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34113052-post40.html
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Your options aren't quite as good as on the east coast, but you still have Las Vegas:

LAX-SFO-LAS-LAX $168
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...9LGYXrALnfLMo8

SAN-LAX-LAS-LAX-SAN $197
https://www.google.com/travel/flight...Gv34CQir43xWx5

Last year I was able to find SFO-LAX-LAS-LAX-SFO for $147 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34113052-post40.html
Thanks for the information. I almost always look for a cpm of 5 cents or lower. It’s slim pickings right now.

I’m still using oldmatrix.itasoftware.com with the options O:UA+ and F ~bc=N. I search for a grid of a month, with zero nights and no airport changes. Most options force me to overnight. For the trip to DUB, it had two, consecutive red-eyes. Here are the best 12 I found for January.

Listed are date out-back, overnight Y/N, total fare, cpm, and legs.

0123-0124 Y 270.80 3.825 LAX/EWR/MIA/EWR/LAX

0123-0124 Y 270.80 4.010 LAX/IAD/MIA/EWR/LAX

0131-0201 Y 349.80 4.140 LAX/IAH/EWR/SJU/EWR/LAX

0123-0124 Y 270.80 4.175 LAX/ORD/MIA/EWR/LAX

0123-0124 Y 270.80 4.214 LAX/UAD/MIA/IAD/LAX

0129-0131 Y 287.10 4.232 LAX/EWR/MCO/EWR/LAX

0131-0201 Y 349.80 4.306 LAX/EWR/SJU/EWR/LAX

0118-0120 Y 907.75 4.432 LAX/EWR/CPT/IAD/LAX

0119-0120 Y 526.95 4.535 LAX/IAH/EWR/DUB/EWR/LAX

0124-0124 Y 237.80 4.554 LAX/BOS/LAX

0126-0127 Y 349.80 4.697 LAX/IAH/SJU/EWR/LAX

0123-0126 Y 919.05 4.998 LAX/SFO/SIN/SFO/LAS/LAX

All domestic fares are K, except BOS (G). International fares price as L: I didn’t check if they’re N fares in disguise.

The only one appealing to me is LAX/BOS/LAX, particularly if I could SDC and fly through SFO, EWR or some other hub.
JALsnipe and Return2flight like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve been searching more possible mileage runs from Southern California (LAX, ONT, SNA, BUR, SBA and SAN) and there are a few, very few, options.

As I said upthread, I want to pay no more than 5 cents per mile. Ideally, I want to return on the same day; I count an overnight flight as the same day.

The best deal I have found so far is LAX/EWR/MIA/EWR/LAX on 1/23 (red eye) returning 1/24 for $270.80 or 3.825 cpm generating 7,080 miles. I found this fare on a few days in January and early February.

SJU is another target airport to look at. In late January, you can fly LAX/IAH/EWR/SJU/EWR/LAX For $349.80 yielding 8,449 miles at 4.14 cpm. One example is leaving on January 23 and returning the next day.

LAX/BOS/LAX pops up a few times for $237.80 or 4.554 cpm. It involves a red eye out and an almost 11 hour layover—maybe an SDC can solve that problem.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another nice MR: BUR to BQN

Another interesting trip popped up involving Burbank to Puerto Rico:

BUR/DEN/EWR/BQN/EWR/SFO/BUR

Departing on February 7 and returning the next day. At $432.80, it yields 8,419 miles at 3.858 cpm on a G fare.

It’s a rough trip leaving at 0900 and arriving at 0050 the next day. The two layovers are about an hour each. The layover is BQN is 76 min. The flight back to EWR leaves at 0155 and arrives at 1208 in BUR. Once again the two layovers are just over an hour.

As it’s a G fare, all but one of the legs is CPUable. The DEN EWR leg is on a B787.

Even better on an N fare
If you’re willing to take an N fare, it’s coming up as $243.80 a/i, so 2.896 cpm.
Return2flight likes this.

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Jan 7, 2023 at 6:41 pm
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I’ve been searching more possible mileage runs from Southern California (LAX, ONT, SNA, BUR, SBA and SAN) and there are a few, very few, options.

As I said upthread, I want to pay no more than 5 cents per mile. Ideally, I want to return on the same day; I count an overnight flight as the same day.

The best deal I have found so far is LAX/EWR/MIA/EWR/LAX on 1/23 (red eye) returning 1/24 for $270.80 or 3.825 cpm generating 7,080 miles. I found this fare on a few days in January and early February.

SJU is another target airport to look at. In late January, you can fly LAX/IAH/EWR/SJU/EWR/LAX For $349.80 yielding 8,449 miles at 4.14 cpm. One example is leaving on January 23 and returning the next day.

LAX/BOS/LAX pops up a few times for $237.80 or 4.554 cpm. It involves a red eye out and an almost 11 hour layover—maybe an SDC can solve that problem.
I just need PQF, so I've been doing LAX/SFO-EWR-DEN-SGU. It's $194 for 6 pqf in K ($133 in N) and $5 more each way if you do SFO instead of LAX.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Even better on an N fare
If you’re willing to take an N fare, it’s coming up as $243.80 a/i, so 2.896 cpm.
The basic economy fare (N) does not earn PQFs, just be warned!

On UA webpage: All basic economy tickets earn PQP, but will not earn PQF.
Status2022 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I just need PQF, so I've been doing LAX/SFO-EWR-DEN-SGU. It's $194 for 6 pqf in K ($133 in N) and $5 more each way if you do SFO instead of LAX.
That’s very impressive!
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The basic economy fare (N) does not earn PQFs, just be warned!

On UA webpage: All basic economy tickets earn PQP, but will not earn PQF.
Fortunately, generating PQFs isn’t an issue for me. I’m after life time miles. I’ve never flown on an N fare. I’ll do it once in an upcoming flight to see what it ‘s like.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Are you reversing the route (SGU-DEN-EWR-SFO/LAX) to get back? If so, is it the same price?

David
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Are you reversing the route (SGU-DEN-EWR-SFO/LAX) to get back? If so, is it the same price?

David
I checked the 23rd (January) and returning the next day. I was quoted $237 for an N and $237 for an S fare on the United app. I suspect a more comprehensive search will find dates for the fares quoted previously.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I checked the 23rd (January) and returning the next day. I was quoted $237 for an N and $237 for an S fare on the United app. I suspect a more comprehensive search will find dates for the fares quoted previously.
No doubt. Was wondering whether the OP's need for PQFs would drive the reverse trip end-on-end or simply do a SGU-DEN-SFO/LAX return.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.