Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Commerical Posts by Bloggers in the MR forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, LM

Hi all, this is not a real fare. I was going to claim it as the 1001st time the fare has been posted, in case there was some reward or prize... I suspect that apart from ridicule there is not...

But rather it is a dig at the conflict that is omni-present in this sub-forum. Let me explain...

Although I have been a member of FlyerTalk for a decade, I have only flittantly looked at it. But now am more immersed. I find this particular sub-forum very valuable, as I travel most places and so any bargain, worldwide, is of interest. I painstakingly ever put together round-the-world trips at best possible cost. So specific departure or arrival locations are not that important. What I want is the cheap, J links, that the international world of travel provides. And thus here I find many gems.

I understand the side that thinks this sub-forum should be constrained to really super deals or mistake fares. I get that. But there are so few that the thread would be mostly inactive for many days or months...

There is a bunch of people that post cheap fares here with a commercial benefit desired. Perhaps not in the spirit that some yearn, but at the end of the day those semi-commercial posters also provide a service, reminding us and alerting us to exactly the sort of thing I need. They spend their days when I do not, searching and searching...

On another way of thinking, if this thread was only about mistake fares, where people post such things they have found, then there would be an equally vociferous clamour to have those post quashed, lest they spoil things for everyone.

Forgive me for wasting some time for mods, and users. I just really think that the more content, the better. If you are an expert, you can easily decide to ignore a semi-commercial post, or posters. But doing that, maybe thank them also for making the thread unreadable by any perceived airlines guard dogs

I for one will continuously read this and see if anything is great for me......
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by juddles
Hi all, this is not a real fare. I was going to claim it as the 1001st time the fare has been posted, in case there was some reward or prize... I suspect that apart from ridicule there is not...

But rather it is a dig at the conflict that is omni-present in this sub-forum. Let me explain...

Although I have been a member of FlyerTalk for a decade, I have only flittantly looked at it. But now am more immersed. I find this particular sub-forum very valuable, as I travel most places and so any bargain, worldwide, is of interest. I painstakingly ever put together round-the-world trips at best possible cost. So specific departure or arrival locations are not that important. What I want is the cheap, J links, that the international world of travel provides. And thus here I find many gems.

I understand the side that thinks this sub-forum should be constrained to really super deals or mistake fares. I get that. But there are so few that the thread would be mostly inactive for many days or months...

There is a bunch of people that post cheap fares here with a commercial benefit desired. Perhaps not in the spirit that some yearn, but at the end of the day those semi-commercial posters also provide a service, reminding us and alerting us to exactly the sort of thing I need. They spend their days when I do not, searching and searching...

On another way of thinking, if this thread was only about mistake fares, where people post such things they have found, then there would be an equally vociferous clamour to have those post quashed, lest they spoil things for everyone.

Forgive me for wasting some time for mods, and users. I just really think that the more content, the better. If you are an expert, you can easily decide to ignore a semi-commercial post, or posters. But doing that, maybe thank them also for making the thread unreadable by any perceived airlines guard dogs

I for one will continuously read this and see if anything is great for me......
well done, you have an opinion...
Deckter likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmnmia
well done, you have an opinion...
Yes I do, and always enjoy others opinions - have you one?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I would like to add something here that people are not bothered about the deal value ( being a mistake/error fare or a regular promotional or cheap fare ).
The problem with the previous SOF-SFO/LAX thread was that the OP was sharing a fare that already had a thread and multiple threads across different forums in FT since 2020 when the fare was first discovered.

I really appreciate what these revenue seeking FT members are doing and sharing these deal fares with us, although, posting the same thing more than once ( even though if they weren't the one who first posted the same fare in FT ) looks like marketing as many people are already subscribed to e-mail alerts to this thread as once they post into the previously created thread regarding the fare is still valid, their post wouldn't reach via e-mail to FT members unless they have subscribed to the previously created thread.

Otherwise, no one is criticizing these people to share these promotional but not error fares.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:45 am

Yes I do, and always enjoy others opinions - have you one?
I can't post it, as it's just a derogatory comment about leeches and attention seekers.
DeltaFlyingProf and Deckter like this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:50 am
Original Poster

I can't post it, as it's just a derogatory comment about leeches and attention seekers.
I understand that, I also feel that in some ways, but at the end of the day I admire your
restraint
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:57 am

I understand that, I also feel that in some ways, but at the end of the day I admire your
restraint
The deal had been posted about a year ago and is included in at least four separate threads. Do we need a page of threads all to the same destination? Because that's what your post seems to be about in this context. It's been spoken ad-infinitum on the BA forum as well. It's all well and good saying that people should ignore repeated threads, but if you keep getting pinged this, such as from the BA forum, it contains hundreds of deals, so you don't know what is being pinged. Similarly if you check the forum there, you will see it's been discussed continuously on and off for the past month day in day out. Coming here and seeing another three separate threads.. well, I can understand why people would get annoyed. And this thread, which completely breaks all the rules, well... I better not say much more.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Otherwise, no one is criticizing these people to share these promotional but not error fares.
ISTFlyer, it is specifically due to me reading the posts/replys of criticism over the past few weeks that I felt like posting this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:06 am
Original Poster

The deal had been posted about a year ago and is included in at least four separate threads. Do we need a page of threads all to the same destination? Because that's what your post seems to be about in this context. It's been spoken ad-infinitum on the BA forum as well. It's all well and good saying that people should ignore repeated threads, but if you keep getting pinged this, such as from the BA forum, it contains hundreds of deals, so you don't know what is being pinged. Similarly if you check the forum there, you will see it's been discussed continuously on and off for the past month day in day out. Coming here and seeing another three separate threads.. well, I can understand why people would get annoyed. And this thread, which completely breaks all the rules, well... I better not say much more.
Cmnmia, I chose the thread name as, exactly as you say, it is a "deal" that has been flogged to death so many times. My post used that title, but it is more about the general nature and value of this entire sub-forum. Some hate re-posts, some hate what is actually a fairly standard fare. I am trying to argue that all these things are ok. Can this thread exist on only mistake-fares, or is there a desire for people (even commercial) to post cheap usual things? I find both as valuable.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

....this thread, which completely breaks all the rules, well... I better not say much more.
I do not mean to offend or break rules. Please elaborate on what rules I am breaking. I am new here.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
ISTFlyer, it is specifically due to me reading the posts/replys of criticism over the past few weeks that I felt like posting this.
There were criticisms towards some of these revenue seeking FT members, although the reason of those criticisms were far away from the fact that they were not an error/mistake fare.
At the deleted thread, the issue, as I mentioned upthread as cmnmia mentioned is that the dis-organization that the will of their additional marketing attempt cause. My guess would be there are more than 5-10 thousand people subscribed to the "Mileage Run Deals" sub-forum and all of these people get notified by e-mail every single time when someone opens a thread. If someone was interested at a fare at the first stage, that FT member could have easily subscribed to that thread in advance for updates but opening multiple threads to attract more attention which would lead to more revenue, IMO, is not part of the FT spirit and is a pure marketing technique which is against FT rules ( cross-posting ).

Some hate re-posts, some hate what is actually a fairly standard fare. I am trying to argue that all these things are ok. Can this thread exist on only mistake-fares, or is there a desire for people (even commercial) to post cheap usual things?
Also, ​​​​​​juddles could I kindly ask you to attach the link or screenshots of these kinds of hate included posts because someone posted a fairly standard fare.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Just few sentences because this thread will be closed soon. What next? More bloggers would post already published and statistically cheaper than normal fares and add multiple credit card links with every post? FT should not be a place for revenue seekers. Period

Last edited by Jaenks; Jan 23, 2022 at 6:22 am
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
There were criticisms towards some of these revenue seeking FT members, although the reason of those criticisms were far away from the fact that they were not an error/mistake fare........
Also, ​​​​​​juddles could I kindly ask you to attach the link or screenshots of these kinds of hate included posts because someone posted a fairly standard fare.
ISTFlyer, I did not keep screen shots, have never needed such. But will know to do so in the future. I just got the vibe reading so many posts that many members were unhappy with the "commercial" posters. i just wanted to express my personal belief
that both sides have valid points...
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:22 am

Cmnmia, I chose the thread name as, exactly as you say, it is a "deal" that has been flogged to death so many times. My post used that title, but it is more about the general nature and value of this entire sub-forum. Some hate re-posts, some hate what is actually a fairly standard fare. I am trying to argue that all these things are ok. Can this thread exist on only mistake-fares, or is there a desire for people (even commercial) to post cheap usual things? I find both as valuable.

You can't argue that 'all these things are ok' when some of these things sit outside of the rules that define the interactions in this place, such as when a new thread should be posted.
As far as I am aware, there is nothing to stop people posting whatever deal they find. Of course, you cannot stop people posting their opinions, which, like my first post to you, points out, everyone has one. Beyond this, I'm not sure what your problem is. Ok, you like bloggers. That's fine, but many others don't like them, also fine.
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:30 am
Original Poster

You can't argue that 'all these things are ok' when some of these things sit outside of the rules that define the interactions in this place, such as when a new thread should be posted.
As far as I am aware, there is nothing to stop people posting whatever deal they find. Of course, you cannot stop people posting their opinions, which, like my first post to you, points out, everyone has one. Beyond this, I'm not sure what your problem is. Ok, you like bloggers. That's fine, but many others don't like them, also fine.
Jesus cmnmia, you are harsh. I do not like bloggers. They fill spaces with so much self-centred padding they can annihilate good threads. But they do provide something... Maybe Flyertalk could separate them into a separate stream? Then we are all winners. My "problem" is seeking to retain their benefit to this community without the eternal conflict that exists. Maybe a separate thread can be invented for the professionals (or semi-pros).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.