Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Basanez
I bought for two passengers so it was two transactions. I would try to dispute two online today and two tomorrow. I would try to call again and hopefully get somebody who’s actually helpful.
Separately?

I booked for 2 pax on TAP's website and it hit as a single charge.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
As with others...pending charge disappeared and now has shown back up as a full charge, not pending anymore. Submitted charge back to Chase...we'll see what happens.
Originally Posted by xslash10x
You're right. I just checked again and the charges showed up again and have posted. I guess time to call my CC.
Did either of you get the cancelation email and then (later) get charged? If yes, seems like fraud.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Did either of you get the cancelation email and then (later) get charged? If yes, seems like fraud.
Nah. Charge posted as a result of the pending charge, which occurred before the cancellation. What should happen is that a refund should follow in short order. Odds that it does though? Who knows.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Separately?

I booked for 2 pax on TAP's website and it hit as a single charge.
I bought two tickets together, the total cost showed as pending until Saturday evening. Disappeared throughout Sunday, then posted Sunday evening as two separate charges. Booked through Chase Travel with money only (for easier 24 hour cancellation), but charges were posted directly from TAP and including each ticket number.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:15 pm

Yes I did receive a cancelation email while the charges were still pending. I may just wait a day or two to see if the refunds process without a dispute.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Some of the legalese mental gymnastics in these threads reminds me of sovereign citizens justifying the tax code not applying to them because of how t's are crossed, or something.

That's not a good thing.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:56 pm

My charge was showing as pending the minute I purchased...then after several days it disappeared...then 24 hours later, I was charged, no pending or anything. So, I'm guessing it just was going through the process. In re-reading the email I got from them, it states: If reservation was made through a travel agency contact travel agency to check refund conditions. So...who knows.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Some of the legalese mental gymnastics in these threads reminds me of sovereign citizens justifying the tax code not applying to them because of how t's are crossed, or something.

That's not a good thing.
Yes, once you see those latin phrases coming out to play, you know you're in for an interesting ride.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Shocker - cancelled. LOL!
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yes, once you see those latin phrases coming out to play, you know you're in for an interesting ride.
When you see attitudes too important to deal with such peasant dollar levels and just walk away while pooh poohing, you know you're in for an interesting ride
Global321 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Did not receive any email about refund. Charge has posted to card. PNR shows no flights attached. Called TAP, waited for like 45 min, they said it's an error fare and offered a full refund to card, which I accepted. If the refund goes through quickly, I would say TAP handled it okay.
largeeyes likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:10 am

suit filed

Florida. Simple breach of contract. Three tix (MIA-FCO; MIA-DME). Filed in Duval County Court (jurisdictional limit $30,000, not small claims where limit is $2,500). Should be served today. TAP will have 20 days to answer.

BTW: credit card charges were "pending" until posted 3/8. At this point, any refund offered would not be a settlement but a reduction of damages. My expectation is this will ultimately settle for a credit voucher in some negotiated amount which TAP will insist on confidentiality.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by aquanine
Did not receive any email about refund. Charge has posted to card. PNR shows no flights attached. Called TAP, waited for like 45 min, they said it's an error fare and offered a full refund to card, which I accepted. If the refund goes through quickly, I would say TAP handled it okay.
Did they say how long it would take for the refunds to process?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not an expert on Florida law nor am I providing legal advice, but this strikes me as a classic case of recession based on unilateral mistake where the buyer knows this is a mistake fare.

Also there is no damage to the buyer as TAP rescinded very quickly (unless you bought nonrefundable hotels etc). And might not be considered reasonable to buy lodging because Europe currently closed to Americans.

not to mention the federal pre-emption issues, possible mandatory arbitration provision in ticket contract etc.

good luck with that lawsuit LOL
TerryK likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not an expert on Florida law nor am I providing legal advice, but this strikes me as a classic case of recession based on unilateral mistake where the buyer knows this is a mistake fare.

Also there is no damage to the buyer as TAP rescinded very quickly (unless you bought nonrefundable hotels etc). And might not be considered reasonable to buy lodging because Europe currently closed to Americans.

not to mention the federal pre-emption issues, possible mandatory arbitration provision in ticket contract etc.

good luck with that lawsuit LOL
Pre-emption and arbitration are both legitimate barriers, but are really beside the point in a lawsuit like this. It isn't even about who's objectively right. To litigate pre-emption and/or move to dismiss based on mandatory arbitration policy is going to cost substantially more than settling, which is the name of the game in 90% of litigation. Sure, some companies will fight to the death and have earned a reputation for nearly never settling, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

You can LOL all you want, of course, but that doesn't accurately characterize his chances of success nor impact his case in the slightest.
rb.sr and Global321 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.