Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Let's play a game...

I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay at a holiday Inn Express yesterday. 😉😂

99.9% of flyertalkers will not go through with this but if you have some spare dollars and want to learn more about the legal system and how airlines respond to them it might be worth an investment.
Let's look at some options TAP is not in bankruptcy unlike airlines such as Aeromexico so Small Claims might be a valid route.

They don't seem to have a office in New York City, my usual place but they have an office in New Jersey specifically in Newark so you might be able to initiate a New Jersey Small Claims Court filing.
Spoiler

From the attached link it seems that you can sue for up to 3,000 and did cost $42 to file a lawsuit.

Where do we start? There are several posts in this thread with Instagram Twitter advertisements announcing a sale starting at $299 for medium and long distance business class travel.

TAP has historically priced a variety of airfares at very low rates in both economy and business class there are a variety of posts on FlyerTalk, social media and blogs indicating airfares in the sub $100 for one way economy class travel as well as sub 700 dollars for Boston to Lisbon/Ponta Delgada on several occasions as well as sub 1500 from Chicago to Bilbao and Seville.

So there goes the argument that business class tickets must cost over x amount of dollars.

Now the next point is you are a Savvy frequent flyer who is interested in a personal level on airfares and actively seek Fair deals for travel for yourself or for others.

Over the course of your searches and by reading publicly available information you came across an airfare for sale to Europe before September 30th.

As we are in a pandemic of public knowledge and borders to Europe are closed right now for non citizens/ residents and there are many additional restrictions for entry into particular countries together with a massive decline in business travel, with frequent media stories of only dozens of passengers being transported on routes such as New York to London a well informed traveler could be led to the conclusion that transatlantic travel is extremely depressed.

It is also publicly known that TAP has financial difficulties has received bailouts from local governments and is actively seeking to sell tickets during this pandemic to stay afloat.

As such it is understandable that the airline initiated a short-term sale between the US and different points within the European Union in order to foment travel in their premium cabins which have been depressed by the implosion in business travel by selling these tickets at a cost that is marginal to the airline.

Based upon other airfares that are publicly available both posted by this airline and other airlines a savvy traveler who is knowledgeable about airfare sales from a personal level of interest could assume together with the advertisements that TAP was having a promotional sale.

Leave it to the defendant to prove that this was not a promotional sale that they have not sold airfares in the past at values of sub $600 for travel across the Atlantic and provide all information related to this airfare.

Prior to submitting this for small claims I would suggest filing a DOT response with some verbiage similar to the above paragraphs to see if TAP decides to comply.

Once again this is not legal advice just how I would approach it if I were involved in this deal.
Candidly, I was going to let this one slide. By all accounts -- except of course for the initial boo boo by publishing and selling me the tickets -- TP has handled this debacle pretty cleanly: fare closed in hours, cancelled hours after that, and for those that booked directly, timely communication, even if it wasn't entirely accurate.

However... the charges posted to my account and I've yet to receive a refund. That's a big no no in my book. I'm going to give it, say, seven business days for the refund to post. If it doesn't, I'm going to skip the chargeback, and put my substantial litigation experience to good use. Some airlines will fight, fight, fight (looking at you, AA, even if I did ultimately win... twice), while many other airlines will settle or default. For me, the commencement fee in small claims (less than $50 usually) is certainly worth the price of admission -- and the entertainment.

Let's see how this shakes out.
jfkeze, jona970318, Thysk and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 8:41 am

Seems to me a simple DOT rule would solve this for US-based flyers.

For all fares to/from/transiting the USA:

If the airline believes a fare is in error, they have 72 hours to cancel the fare.
The airline must state they believe it is an error and must initiate a refund within one week.
If they do not cancel within 72-hours, the fare shall be deemed correct and they must honor it like any other fare covered by the CoC.

Create some standard verbiage and require it to be in the CoC.

Pretty simple and fair.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Global321
If they do not cancel within 72-hours, the fare shall be deemed correct and they must honor it like any other fare covered by the CoC.
I mostly agree with you. But I think the consumer backout period and the airline backout period should be the same, so 24 hours. Unless they want to allow us 72 hours as well.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:08 am

What happens if refund does not show up in our bank statements within the week of ticket purchase?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:16 am

Delete

Last edited by rembran; Mar 8, 2021 at 11:25 am Reason: Found correcting information
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by rembran
What happens if refund does not show up in our bank statements within the week of ticket purchase?
I already spent 20 minutes filing DOT complaint, chargeback and CFPB against credit card company to cover all bases. Let the games begin. If refund shows up I’ll cancel the complaints. Otherwise they take time so better get started early in my personal experience.
Global321 and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Basanez; Mar 8, 2021 at 11:59 am
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
I mostly agree with you. But I think the consumer backout period and the airline backout period should be the same, so 24 hours. Unless they want to allow us 72 hours as well.
Reasonable. And I agree - match the timing; if Airlines want to say they need even more time to cancel a purchase, fine, match it. Want a week? Consumers get a week.

Originally Posted by Basanez
I already spent 20 minutes filing DOT complaint, chargeback and CFPB against credit card company to cover all bases. Let the games begin. If refund shows up I’ll cancel the complaints. Otherwise they take time so better get started early in my personal experience.
I did the chargebacks with the credit cards as well. If you try to request a refund through TAP they force it to the trip credit. My guess is if you check 'agree' and click through you would be bound to the trip credit.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:47 pm

I don’t even bother calling TAP anymore. In my experience the reps are never familiar with US regulations, they never admit the 24 hour free cancellation period and they offer voucher, or refund in 12 weeks which is the time limit for chargeback in most cases. So I just file charge backs asap and let it play out. Mind you, I’m still silver with them, and when I call the silver desk, they treat me like a pest because I’m calling about a matter that’s not related to miles and transfer me to the general desk
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:39 pm

As with others...pending charge disappeared and now has shown back up as a full charge, not pending anymore. Submitted charge back to Chase...we'll see what happens.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
Check again. I thought I was in the same situation (pending charge fell off), but all the charges hit overnight. This changes things. Yesterday I was in the "no harm no foul" camp. Today I have to initiate chargebacks and waste time on this.
You're right. I just checked again and the charges showed up again and have posted. I guess time to call my CC.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:54 pm

Wow just called Chase and they said that I have to fill out a form and either mail (snail mail) or fax them the signed form. No way to dispute it online or via emial. Ugh this is so annoying. Now I'm pissed at TAP.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Global321
Seems to me a simple DOT rule would solve this for US-based flyers.

For all fares to/from/transiting the USA:

If the airline believes a fare is in error, they have 72 hours to cancel the fare.
The airline must state they believe it is an error and must initiate a refund within one week.

Create some standard verbiage and require it to be in the CoC.

Pretty simple and fair.
To me, it's even more clear cut - if you sell it and collect money, you honor it after 24 hours. Seller and buyer have the same 24 hour grace period.

Airline pricing is not simple. Expecting people to know what's a mistake when you sell valid fares at equivalent price is ridiculous.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by xslash10x
Wow just called Chase and they said that I have to fill out a form and either mail (snail mail) or fax them the signed form. No way to dispute it online or via emial. Ugh this is so annoying. Now I'm pissed at TAP.
I disputed it online and was able to call right after to confirm the submission was received. Not sure what’s going on your case but the app usually has that functionality. Otherwise you might want to call again and see if you get somebody who can help you.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Basanez
I disputed it online and was able to call right after to confirm the submission was received. Not sure what’s going on your case but the app usually has that functionality. Otherwise you might want to call again and see if you get somebody who can help you.
I bought tickets for 4 passengers and they each posted as separate transactions. The rep said because it's more than 2 transactions I'm disputing, I have to do it via fax or snail mail. ... what year is this??

Are you only disputing one charge?

I'm now thinking maybe I'll wait 2-4 days to see if TAP issues the refund on their own?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by xslash10x
I bought tickets for 4 passengers and they each posted as separate transactions. The rep said because it's more than 2 transactions I'm disputing, I have to do it via fax or snail mail. ... what year is this??

Are you only disputing one charge?

I'm now thinking maybe I'll wait 2-4 days to see if TAP issues the refund on their own?
I bought for two passengers so it was two transactions. I would try to dispute two online today and two tomorrow. I would try to call again and hopefully get somebody who’s actually helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.