Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] SQ/EK/UA/etc: KRT-Worldwide < 7cpm Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] SQ/EK/UA/etc: KRT-Worldwide < 7cpm Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: banned from AA
Originally Posted by kjorobk
the problem is not the OTAs, the detail is that emirates is checking one by one each ticket issued, my previous tickets took 4 months to cancel them. I received a call from emirates and they gave me the option to pay the fare difference or a refund.
Ugh. Had vaguely hoped that since this made it past the "obviously something wrong" initial period that it would last.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: banned from AA
I learned a lot about using *.it booking sites for skipping a flight in the future.
If I don't plan to skip a part of the flight, is there any other reason why I'd want a *.it booking site?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:10 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
Not that I would have flown it if the would have done it, but they could have at least offered to fly in in Business Class for that price, but EK indeed has a history of not giving a s***.
Oh well, there is always next time, Thanks for the good time guys
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by thanaset
What I meant is Expedia.it is quite quicker than Gotogate that they called the customer. I have not planned to drink any alcohol on the plane, I don't drink!

So now, EK is cancelling the tickets. Anyone has ticket on TK, SQ, EY?
I have a J SQ ticket booked on expedia.it. For travel in DEC. Just sitting tight for now, wait and see. I may be naive but i'm hoping that they may let the J tix slide. A few seats out of 48 on a jet that may be willing to swallow. A few of 6 F seats - doubt it.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:26 am

Cancelling selectively based on cabin is not a standard practice in FX-related sales (I would go as far as saying, it ain't gonna happen), but different airlines can take different approach indeed. In order to hope that you'll be able to fill 6-8 F seats in current climate, even with vaccine prospects, airline has to be extremely optimistic (again, ain't gonna happen in my view). As long as real associated costs are not way higher than the discounted price, as a armchair CEO, I would let it fly: somewhat not very expensive marketing campaign and prospects of cross-sell.
As to offering a downgrade as someone suggested above, thank you, but no, thank you. Those are not mind-blowing prices for J even if it was more convenient routing, for somewhat subpar J product, which EK definitely is in many respects (especially taking into account that A380 is not likely to fly widely any time soon)
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: AA Exp
Only one report of a cancelled ticket right? That would be a bit odd. Think quite a few people booked with gotogate.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by maxvor
Cancelling selectively based on cabin is not a standard practice in FX-related sales (I would go as far as saying, it ain't gonna happen), but different airlines can take different approach indeed. In order to hope that you'll be able to fill 6-8 F seats in current climate, even with vaccine prospects, airline has to be extremely optimistic (again, ain't gonna happen in my view). As long as real associated costs are not way higher than the discounted price, as a armchair CEO, I would let it fly: somewhat not very expensive marketing campaign and prospects of cross-sell.
As to offering a downgrade as someone suggested above, thank you, but no, thank you. Those are not mind-blowing prices for J even if it was more convenient routing, for somewhat subpar J product, which EK definitely is in many respects (especially taking into account that A380 is not likely to fly widely any time soon)
About six years ago I booked a similar deal out of Tunis on AF to LAX. I booked two fares, one F and one J. They said both were mistake Y fares but would let the J fare slide but would downgrade the F fare to J class due to the 'limited capacity' of F.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by maxvor
Cancelling selectively based on cabin is not a standard practice in FX-related sales (I would go as far as saying, it ain't gonna happen)..
I had no idea there was standard practice in this area: certainly, some rebel carriers act against it - maybe the lower-class successes go under the radar.

Losing seating capacity in an 8-place cabin where the seats can go for $5+k a pop can focus minds on the opportunity cost of letting things slide: while in Y, and to some extent J, image and reputation weigh against taking action. And, as you point out, seats often go begging in those cabins.

I remember SWISS offered seats in Y to its first-class pirates in the Burma fiasco, which suggests a degree of class consciousness. Maybe that was a smart move: stranding Canada-bound passengers in SE Asia wouldn't have helped in the subsequent court case brought by the pirates. Which SWISS (largely) won.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite Plus, SQ Gold, BA Gold, VS Gold, Globalist, HH Diamond
AFAIK, the procedure will be like following steps:
1. 24 hours before departure, the eticket will be in "Airport Control", meaning the airport agent has solely control of this eticket, the call centre or ticket agent cannot make any changes.
2. 24 hours after departure, the system checks (or the airport agent does it manually?) whether the passenger is/was on board.
3.1 normally the "coupon/flight segment" will be "FLOWN" and the rest of the flights will be "OPEN FOR USE"
3.2 when the passenger did not show up or did not check-in, I do not know which status will be?
3.3 when the passenger informed the airline within 24 hours after departure time, I guess, they might change the "coupon status" to "FLOWN" or something else that does not cause the next flights to be cancelled. And I don't think that they will reissue the eticket.
Everything sounds pretty clear and correct to me. But when I held some EK F tickets and had to constantly call EK for changes due to COVID restrictions, the agents kept saying it´s possible to call in for date changes until "1 minute before flight departure". Not that I tried that but was that information then not correct? Can I not call EK agents to push my Flex-ticket a few weeks in to the future only hours before the flight?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by 108912
About six years ago I booked a similar deal out of Tunis on AF to LAX. I booked two fares, one F and one J. They said both were mistake Y fares but would let the J fare slide but would downgrade the F fare to J class due to the 'limited capacity' of F.
Well, AF is known to protect its La Premiere access at all costs, even if it means setting itself up for inconsistency and discarding any cost-benefit considerations. Among the airlines who were plating carriers on that deal I can't think of any that would be doing it: they would either cancel all the tickets, no matter what cabin, or none at all (speculation of course, but that is my intuition based on experience).
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I had no idea there was standard practice in this area: certainly, some rebel carriers act against it - maybe the lower-class successes go under the radar.

Losing seating capacity in an 8-place cabin where the seats can go for $5+k a pop can focus minds on the opportunity cost of letting things slide: while in Y, and to some extent J, image and reputation weigh against taking action. And, as you point out, seats often go begging in those cabins.

I remember SWISS offered seats in Y to its first-class pirates in the Burma fiasco, which suggests a degree of class consciousness. Maybe that was a smart move: stranding Canada-bound passengers in SE Asia wouldn't have helped in the subsequent court case brought by the pirates. Which SWISS (largely) won.
In normal times it would be hard to dismiss opportunity costs, I agree with you, but in current climate 1K EUR (on average) guaranteed revenue vs. say 4-5K potential revenue that will not materialize in maybe 95% of the cases...It's difficult to commit to preserving the availability, if I were a person taking commercial decision on that one.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by andigoeskiwi
Everything sounds pretty clear and correct to me. But when I held some EK F tickets and had to constantly call EK for changes due to COVID restrictions, the agents kept saying it´s possible to call in for date changes until "1 minute before flight departure". Not that I tried that but was that information then not correct? Can I not call EK agents to push my Flex-ticket a few weeks in to the future only hours before the flight?
I think, what the agent kept saying is the "date change" policy and AFAIK, it should be 3 hours before the flight departure time for the most airlines. This "No-Show" policy for the issued ticket in Italy is not the "date change or reroute" but it will still keep the current ticket ( I guess ) but they will flag (as the Emirate agent said) the segment as "No-Show" but the next coupon/segment/flight can still be used and the "coupon status" will be shown as "O/Open For Use".

From the other airline policies, it is clear that the no-show policy is meant to the passenger who did miss the flight, so it should be "after" the departure time. I was trying and searching for changing the ticket in advance knowing that I will not take the flight but it will or should not be treated as the "no-show" policy but it will be treated in the normal change date/route policy.

The open question is what the airline do with the "no-show" ticket, reissue or not?

Emirates https://www.emirates.com/it/english/...licy-apply-to/
When should I inform Emirates that I have missed my flight and am a ‘no‑show’?
You must tell us within 24 hours from the time of the departure of the missed flight.
Also, you need to call two hours before your next flight, even if it is within 24 hours from the first flight.
https://www.travelready.org/PDF%20Fi...20Handbook.pdf

For the Iberia, they wrote that they will issue the new eticket. https://www.iberia.com/it/faqs/chang...tions-refunds/

If I miss the first flight of my reservation, how should I inform IBERIA to keep my flight back or the rest of my flights?

Only in case the ticket has been sold in Italy, the passenger who has missed his first flight or could not take it for any reason, but would like to take the return flight or the rest of legs as originally booked without any change of the fare or surcharge, has to inform IBERIA as soon as possible and in any case no later than:

24 hours starting from the time of the scheduled departure of the first segment; or
if the departure time of the return flight falls within the 24 hours from the first segment, 2 hours before the departure.

The passenger shall call exclusively the following toll-free hotline (+39) 02 913 87 051 or send an email to [email protected] and provide the following information:

• Reservation code/locator
• The no-showed flight number and departure date; and
• The name of the passenger/s within such reservation that was/were unable to fly
• Express his/her will to use the return flight or the rest of legs, as applicable

IBERIA will issue a new electronic ticket for the remaining itinerary and the check-in shall be performed on the IBERIA’s website (if available) or at the airport.

Failing to call within such a timeframe, IBERIA shall be entitled to ask for the payment of the difference between the original ticket purchased and the highest fare in the same class/compartment applicable to the remaining itinerary at the time of ticket reissuance, always subject to still having an available seat on the flight in question.
Lufthansa https://www.lufthansa.com/it/en/coupon_sequence
For Lufthansa tickets bought in Italy on Lufthansa.com/it, ticket office or call center Lufthansa, or via a travel agency, the following exception applies:
if you missed your outbound flight or for any reasons cannot fly the first booked segment and you still want to use your return flight as originally booked (without having to pay a fee), please call the Lufthansa Customer Relations team latest 24 hours after the planned first ticketed flight segment.
BA and it is interesting that BA mentioned that the outbound flight, how about the multicity booking?
https://www.britishairways.com/en-it...ns-of-carriage
3c4) For tickets sold in Italy the following shall apply
  • If you have missed, or you have not used for any reason, your outbound flight (for the purpose of this clause, this means the entire outbound journey, as originally booked), you are entitled to use the return flight (for the purpose of this clause, this means the entire return journey, as originally booked), without application of any surcharge, provided that you inform us, by calling us as soon as possible to advise us of your intention to use the return flight, and in any case:

(i) no later than 24 hours after the scheduled departure time of the first leg of the outbound flight;

(ii) at the latest 2 hours before the time of the scheduled departure of the return flight, when the scheduled departure time of the return flight is within 24 hours from the scheduled departure time of the outbound flight.
You should call British Airways and provide your booking reference number and the names of the affected passengers. For more information (including the phone number to use) see our FAQs. We will issue a new electronic ticket for the return flight, without application of any surcharge.

If you do not provide the above information as required, or fail to do so within the prescribed timeframe, we shall be entitled to request payment of the recalculated fare, in accordance with clause 3c2) and 3c6), subject to availability on the return flight.
jfkeze and andigoeskiwi like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
Anyone else received cancellation? (Other than the one gotogate report?)
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:31 am

Actually, Expedia.it did call the passenger who booked EK F in the morning (CET), after about 6 hours of booking, whether they really want to fly! I got the call myself and I said "Yes"
I wonder what the purpose of this check was and why if they were to cancel these tickets, they did not do it yet, although they identified the error and called customers asking if they wanted to fly. I also bought tickets via ex.it but I did not receive such a call. Maybe because I bought J
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite Plus, SQ Gold, BA Gold, VS Gold, Globalist, HH Diamond
I just chatted with the EK Live Chat and in short, "YES, we can do no-show" and you might find it the hard way to try to explain the No-Show Policy to the agent!

In case, someone is interested, the chat log:
Spoiler

I just checked EKs website regarding their No Show Policy again. Was this specification always there?

Who is applicable to the no-show policy? All tickets sold in Italy, only where the first departure city on the ticket is also in Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.