Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kevinflyaway
Code:
Please post you departure dates and routes below:

March
 MARCH 07 BCN - FCO - LAX Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 11 PacificTwo
 MARCH 11 BCN-FCO-JFK UAPremierGuy
 MARCH 14 LAX - CDG - FCO - BCN Madeiraportugal
 MARCH 19 BCN-FCO-CDG GlennHaak
 MARCH 19 MAD-FCO-JFK beyounged
 MARCH 20 CDG-LAX GlennHaak
 MARCH 25 BCN-FCO-JFK JonEJacobs
 MARCH 25 JFK-FCO-MAD beyounged
 MARCH 28 LAX-FCO-BCN GlennHaak

April
 APRIL 01 BCN-FCO-LAX - idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 04 BCN - FCO - CDG (+1) - LAX Mister Miles
 APRIL 05 JFK-FCO-BCN JonEJacobs
 APRIL 08 BCN - FCO - LAX - honzeek_cz
 APRIL 08 FCO-CDG JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 CDG-LAX - JNLentertainment
 APRIL 09 LAX - JFK - FCO - BCN Mister Miles
 APRIL 23 LAX-CDG honzeek_cz
 APRIL 24 CDG-FCO-BCN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 MAD-LIN honzeek_cz
 APRIL 25 LAX-CDG-FCO-BCN idiosyncrasy
 APRIL 26 LIN-CDG-LAX honzeek_cz
 APRIL 29 LAX-FCO honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 FCO-MAD honzeek_cz
 APRIL 30 MAD-FCO Maayan

May
 MAY 01 FCO-LAX Maayan
 MAY 01 BCN-FCO-JFK ramalair
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-JFK e30st
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX Travel-Quinten
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO-LAX Wildwater
 MAY 02 BCN-FCO / MAY 03 FCO-LAX bmibaby737
 MAY 06 JFK-FCO-BCN (+1) e30st
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN (+1) Travel-Quinten
 MAY 06 LAX-FCO-BCN Wildwater
 MAY 06 LAX-JFK-FCO / MAY 07 FCO-BCN bmibaby737
 MAY 08 LAX-FCO-MAD Maayan
 MAY 09 JFK-FCO-BCN ramalair
 MAY 09 LAX- FCO JNLentertainment
 MAY 09 FCO-BCN JNLentertainment

September

October

November
 Nov 7 BCN - FCO - JFK ExpatSomchai
 Nov 11 JFK - FCO - BCN (+1) ExpatSomchai
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AZ: BCN - LAX £456 in J....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

AZ can downgrade you on the day of travel and would have to pay you 75% of.... not a lot under EU261.. and if they did that both ways, not sure I’d want a 32hr journey in economy class for next to nothing or free and that’s before you go into what the 75% of is refunded.
True. But then again, that would largely go against the spirit and intent of the regulation, if they are not in an overbooking situation. Letting airlines just randomly downgrade people whenever they feel like it is certainly not what the E.U. lawmakers had in mind.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxymore

True. But then again, that would largely go against the spirit and intent of the regulation, if they are not in an overbooking situation. Letting airlines just randomly downgrade people whenever they feel like it is certainly not what the E.U. lawmakers had in mind.
Especially if they make a business practice of doing it repeatedly, over many, many days, only for fares at a certain price point.

I don't think they'll want to show the regulators such a pattern.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

At the end of the day I think the law just covers downgrading not the circumstances leading to a downgrade unless you can point me in the direction of legislation otherwise.

Not sure what the COC are regarding this or when an airline can inform you that you have booked an error fare and your ticket should be Economy or you can reprice if you want to travel business or when they can cancel it. Would suggest would have to be someone with deep pockets or qualified in law to pursue the airline and your positioning costs and hotels have been paid for. There’s no doubt the airline is holding all the cards here.

You forget thst airlines monitor this board and it wouldn’t take much to create a programme to run bookings with this fare basis and identify the bookings. Who knows they might just let this one slide withou5;making it public but given their reputation I wouldn’t be making other side arrangemen# yet.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:30 am

AZ can downgrade you on the day of travel and would have to pay you 75% of.... not a lot under EU261.. and if they did that both ways, not sure I’d want a 32hr journey in economy class for next to nothing or free and that’s before you go into what the 75% of is refunded.
Does the regulation allow one to cancel for a full refund in the event of downgrade at the airport, or is accepting the downgrade and compensation the only option? Otherwise, if one declines to fly in Y, does one forfeit as a no-show?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:40 am

At the end of the day I think the law just covers downgrading not the circumstances leading to a downgrade unless you can point me in the direction of legislation otherwise.

Not sure what the COC are regarding this or when an airline can inform you that you have booked an error fare and your ticket should be Economy or you can reprice if you want to travel business or when they can cancel it. Would suggest would have to be someone with deep pockets or qualified in law to pursue the airline and your positioning costs and hotels have been paid for. There’s no doubt the airline is holding all the cards here.

You forget thst airlines monitor this board and it wouldn’t take much to create a programme to run bookings with this fare basis and identify the bookings. Who knows they might just let this one slide withou5;making it public but given their reputation I wouldn’t be making other side arrangemen# yet.
Well, I need to do some more research, but the CAA (UK) page on the regulation, for example, states (bolding mine):
Sometimes, airlines may downgrade the class some passengers are flying in due to a lack of available seats. For instance, this might mean you are forced to sit in Business Class, despite paying for a First Class seat.
So I think the enforcement bodies see it that way, and don't expect random downgrades when seats are available.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:14 am

Well, I need to do some more research, but the CAA (UK) page on the regulation, for example, states (bolding mine):

So I think the enforcement bodies see it that way, and don't expect random downgrades when seats are available.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flig...ation_261/2004

From what I can see from article 10 of EU261 it just says if a passenger is placed in a lower classs...... it doesn’t say downgrading. Admit it would be shabby to do but they could turn round and say it’s to preserve the integrity of Business Class for revenue purposes. Not sure what clout the CAA would have on AZ ex BCN and would it even cover DL ex US? A big can of worms for someone to unravel.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Maayan
Does the regulation allow one to cancel for a full refund in the event of downgrade at the airport, or is accepting the downgrade and compensation the only option? Otherwise, if one declines to fly in Y, does one forfeit as a no-show?
Cant see anything to the regulations regarding downgrading and refunds.

i would suspect not as it’s abundantly clear this is an error fare but happy to be proved otherwise
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:47 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold

But I think they can only do that if there is an operational need like overbooking, not because they then see that they have sold a ticket in business a little to cheap 5 months ago.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:06 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flig...ation_261/2004

From what I can see from article 10 of EU261 it just says if a passenger is placed in a lower classs...... it doesn’t say downgrading. Admit it would be shabby to do but they could turn round and say it’s to preserve the integrity of Business Class for revenue purposes. Not sure what clout the CAA would have on AZ ex BCN and would it even cover DL ex US? A big can of worms for someone to unravel.
No, the CAA plays no part in it, it's just the first example I found (hence the need to do more research).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Especially if they make a business practice of doing it repeatedly, over many, many days, only for fares at a certain price point.

I don't think they'll want to show the regulators such a pattern.
THe law is the law you break it and pay the penalty or you don’t. If you break it lots of times you pay the penalty prescribed by the law lots of times. As this is an error fare meant for Economy I’d be surprised if the regulators would waste their time on this, and to get the law changed would need a court case to change the law which I don’t see happening either,
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Originally Posted by KiteM

Can you just share the link?
Also in pm if it's not allowed in the thread
Thanks

https://www.vielfliegertreff.de/firs...505euro-4.html
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Hollandair
But I think they can only do that if there is an operational need like overbooking, not because they then see that they have sold a ticket in business a little to cheap 5 months ago.
Well from what I see article 10 says if they place you in a lower class.it doesn’t say that they need to do this for an operational reason. Clearly happy to be corrected but as I said earlier the airline has totally the upper hand here and could totally screw up (a lot) of plans and max refund would be 75% of the fare piaid if they do it both sectors.

What would you you do if on reaching the check in desk or boarding gate you are advised of the situation you can quote the rules until you are blue in the face but you are only getting on that plane in Economy and if you chose not to board I can’t see that is IDB and your legal recourse is 75% of half of not much,

AZ will obviously have to pay DL through the BSP for any passengers they carry so might tell DL to downgrade as well. My understanding of a downgrade on a US airline TO the EU is not covered by EU261 so you wouldn’t get 75%of not much..
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
EU regulation is about cancellation of flight, not booking.
Correct. They can NOT cancel your ticket at any time for no reason, if that would be ok they would cancel thousands of tickets each year through the summer season to resell the cheap early buyers tickets for a much higher pirice. The regulation you are referring too is for canceled flights ( taken off the schedule completely or shifted more then 6 hours ) and regulates that in such circumstances the airline only owes you a full refund and no further compensation..
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver

THe law is the law you break it and pay the penalty or you don’t. If you break it lots of times you pay the penalty prescribed by the law lots of times. As this is an error fare meant for Economy I’d be surprised if the regulators would waste their time on this, and to get the law changed would need a court case to change the law which I don’t see happening either,
Was it an error fare? At the time of booking Y and Y+ were also lower than J so this to me looked like it could have been a flash sale
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
EU regulation is about cancellation of flight, not booking.

Just read the whole document and you're absolutely right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.