Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by maxwellh
Departure Airports: SAT/AUS/IAH/HOU/DFW
EQMs Needed: 50K (willing to split into multiple runs as necessary)
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: $3500 (?)
Available Travel Dates: Anytime between now and 12/31/19
Max # Travel Nights: 3ish
AA only, or Partners Okay: All EQM-earning OW
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Nope

I'm based in San Antonio, which gives driveable (or short flight-able) access to most of the hubs, but I'm certainly open to repositioning. Have maintained EXP for the past dozen years and would like to continue. Travel has dried up over the past 12 months. I'm estimating that I'll be somewhere between 40K and 50K EQMs short (even with maxed Silver Barclay bonuses). Don't want to be too tempted by the AA email that I'll be receiving in December and would rather "earn" the miles. I've spent several hours over the last few weeks looking for a silver bullet, but am having a hard time finding anything much better than $0.10/EQM (e.g. $4500 IAH-LHR-CPT on BA in I for 48K EQM). But maybe I'm just not that good at hunting. Appreciate y'all's help.
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
I just earned 45K EQM for PHL-ORD-HEL-BKK-HEL-SFO-PHL in J, tack on DFW as a positioning flight and you should be good. You will likely need a TA to book this for you. $3400 with wide availability. Look for the Friday Returns (those connect through SFO). I will tell you that BKK-HEL-SFO had 65 minute connection time, and it was tight for me given Pakistan Air space was closed. I never stopped on the ground until I boarded the HEL-SFO flight, I had maybe 15 minutes to spare.

I just checked OB July 10th, Return on the 12th works.
It's cheaper to originate in YYZ. YYZ-SIN can be as cheap as $2600 in AY J and should be around 42,700 EQM.

EDIT: Just saw this thread in the Premium MR forum, which might be of interest.
BA: YVR-CPT in Business / CPT-DFW in First US$3,200

Last edited by flyingeph12; Jun 3, 2019 at 9:32 pm
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA
Departure Airports: LGA/JFK/EWR
EQMs Needed: 12.5K (willing to split into multiple runs as necessary)
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: $500?
Max # Travel Nights: Weekend (Fri-Sun)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

I'm 12.5K short of getting EP. I'm not sure if ITA matrix is still the best to use for finding runs but I'm open to suggestions on how to best find them on my own. Thanks for any help with this!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:18 am

I am also trying to fulfil the Hyatt AA challenge for Ex Plat and I'm also in the New York area.

Departure Airport(s): JFK, LGA or EWR
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 35K
EQDs Needed: ~$5000
Max Budget: prefer less than $2K
Available Travel Dates: Prefer weekends in early November, but somewhat flexible
Max # Travel Nights: 3 - 5
AA only, or Partners Okay: Qualifying EQDs, EQMs and EQSs to extend status are earned when you fly on eligible tickets for flights operated by American Airlines or marketed by American, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines.
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

The best fare I've come up with is RT JFK-SIN on Finnair in Business (I class so 2X EQMs). That would work, but it would cost approx $3,100 (or $3,200 for an additional change of planes at LHR). It's available the first two weekends in November (which I'm looking at because I get days off from work for Election Day and Veterans day). I know it's about $500 cheaper from Toronto, but positioning would take an extra day.

People have told me that spending $3000 to get Ex Plat is crazy and that there are better options to get the EQDs and EQMs cheapter but I don't know of other feasible choices - which is why I'm asking for your assistance. Thanks..
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by katstarr
I am also trying to fulfil the Hyatt AA challenge for Ex Plat and I'm also in the New York area.

Departure Airport(s): JFK, LGA or EWR
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 35K
EQDs Needed: ~$5000
Max Budget: prefer less than $2K
Available Travel Dates: Prefer weekends in early November, but somewhat flexible
Max # Travel Nights: 3 - 5
AA only, or Partners Okay: Qualifying EQDs, EQMs and EQSs to extend status are earned when you fly on eligible tickets for flights operated by American Airlines or marketed by American, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines.

The best fare I've come up with is RT JFK-SIN on Finnair in Business (I class so 2X EQMs). That would work, but it would cost approx $3,100 (or $3,200 for an additional change of planes at LHR). It's available the first two weekends in November (which I'm looking at because I get days off from work for Election Day and Veterans day). I know it's about $500 cheaper from Toronto, but positioning would take an extra day.

People have told me that spending $3000 to get Ex Plat is crazy and that there are better options to get the EQDs and EQMs cheapter but I don't know of other feasible choices - which is why I'm asking for your assistance. Thanks..
You can do JFK-HKG-JNB r/t in CX PE, which is $2400 at the moment. Not sure I'd choose that over AY J, but it does cut your costs down. I'd be on the lookout for deals on CX PE in general; CX PE to Australia/New Zealand has been as low as around $2000 from the east coast in the past.

The issue is that you need EQM and EQD. $3000 for 5000 EQD is not the absolute best you can do—but it's not bad, considering you'd be in business. The JNB flights on CX will give you about 2.4 EQD/$, but that's in PE not J.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
It's cheaper to originate in YYZ. YYZ-SIN can be as cheap as $2600 in AY J and should be around 42,700 EQM.

EDIT: Just saw this thread in the Premium MR forum, which might be of interest.
BA: YVR-CPT in Business / CPT-DFW in First US$3,200
Thank you both for the input. AY does indeed seem to be the way to go for these things, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing in "J" faring (whether from the US or from CAN) -- plenty of decent pricing in "I" though (especially out of YYZ or YUL).
katstarr likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:24 am

Thank you both for the input. AY does indeed seem to be the way to go for these things, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing in "J" faring (whether from the US or from CAN) -- plenty of decent pricing in "I" though (especially out of YYZ or YUL).
By AY J, I meant business class. It will book into fare class I, not fare class J.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
By AY J, I meant business class. It will book into fare class I, not fare class J.
Got it--sorry--I'm mostly a lurker, so my lingo skill may be lacking!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:06 pm

Departure Airports: SAT/AUS/IAH/HOU/DFW
EQMs Needed: 50K (willing to split into multiple runs as necessary)
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: $3500 (?)
Max # Travel Nights: 3ish
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Nope

I'm based in San Antonio, which gives driveable (or short flight-able) access to most of the hubs, but I'm certainly open to repositioning. Have maintained EXP for the past dozen years and would like to continue. Travel has dried up over the past 12 months. I'm estimating that I'll be somewhere between 40K and 50K EQMs short (even with maxed Silver Barclay bonuses). Don't want to be too tempted by the AA email that I'll be receiving in December and would rather "earn" the miles. I've spent several hours over the last few weeks looking for a silver bullet, but am having a hard time finding anything much better than $0.10/EQM (e.g. $4500 IAH-LHR-CPT on BA in I for 48K EQM). But maybe I'm just not that good at hunting. Appreciate y'all's help.
If you position to SEA (that's a couple thousand EQMs right there) there are SEA-JNB for $1851 on CX for 1851 RT. That's not the whole thing but it's about 35K EQM. If you have the AMEX CX offer (300 off 1500+) you can cut the cost even further.

Another choice is connecting in Vancouver and taking BA Business to JNB and BA premium economy to Seattle. You can find those for under $2200.
Another alternative is connecting in Vancouver (YVR) and going YVR\-JNB 'I' and JNB-SEA 'T" (premium economy. They are available for under $2200.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:03 pm

You can do JFK-HKG-JNB r/t in CX PE, which is $2400 at the moment. Not sure I'd choose that over AY J, but it does cut your costs down. I'd be on the lookout for deals on CX PE in general; CX PE to Australia/New Zealand has been as low as around $2000 from the east coast in the past.

The issue is that you need EQM and EQD. $3000 for 5000 EQD is not the absolute best you can do—but it's not bad, considering you'd be in business. The JNB flights on CX will give you about 2.4 EQD/$, but that's in PE not J.
the Hyatt AA challenge doesn’t include flights on CX
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by katstarr

the Hyatt AA challenge doesn’t include flights on CX
Hah, I probably should have read your post more carefully. You can try looking at BA PE (to places like SIN and JNB), which may be around $2000, but none of those will give you 35,000 EQMs and 5,000 EQDs in one trip.
For example, EWR-LHR-SIN r/t is $2058 for a weekend in November, but it would only earn ~30,700 EQMs and ~4100 EQDs. JFK-LHR-JNB r/t is $1894 and would earn ~27,200 EQMs and ~3600 EQDs.
katstarr likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Hi, I need help with a Platinum Pro status challenge. AA + only certain marketed partners permitted.

Departure Airport(s): ORD and MKE
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20,000
EQDs Needed: $2,400
Max Budget: $1,500 (cheaper the better)
Available Travel Dates: any through September 25, 2019, prefer weekends
Max # Travel Nights: as few as possible, prefer weekends
AA only, or Partners Okay: marketed by American, American Eagle, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines only

Thanks in advance! Summer fares seem to be $$$, so gaaah!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I need help with a Platinum status challenge.

Departure Airport(s): IAH (willing to reposition)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,500
EQDs Needed: $1,500
Max Budget: $2,000 (cheaper the better)
Available Travel Dates: July, and September though September 25, 2019
Max # Travel Nights: 5 night
AA only, or Partners Okay: marketed by American, American Eagle, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines only
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I’ve got a Platinum/PPro challenge offer with AA, and am trying to figure out the best way to achieve at least the Platinum level. Willing to take a positioning flight to anywhere, but unfortunately most of my existing travel in this time period is UA/DL, so I don’t have an easy work method to meet the challenge. If anyone has good suggestions, I’m all ears. I’m tracking the posts above as they are similar...

Departure Airport(s): HSV*, BNA*, BHM, ATL; willing to position to large hubs if cost effective. * - preferred
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,500 EQM
EQDs Needed: $1,500
Max Budget: $1,500, but would prefer $1,000 or less if possible
Available Travel Dates: most weekends (Thursday evening - Monday) from mid-July until September 25 (challenge deadline). Will be in Australia prior to that date.
Max # Travel Nights: 4. But the fewer the better.
AA only, or Partners Okay: partners ok, see above posts (same conditions)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N, but might be willing to get one if that’s the most cost effective method.

Last edited by AussieExPat; Jun 8, 2019 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Currently BAEC Silver with 820 TPs, expiring first week of November.

If anyone has the time, I'd really appreciate some help.

Departure Airport(s): Any UK airport, or DUB/AMS
TPs Needed: 680 TPs needed for Gold, happy to be just short
Max Budget: £2.5k for two pax
Available Travel Dates: 30th July - 8th August
Max # Travel Nights: Any
BA only, or Partners Okay: No preference
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

For information, I've priced up the following for £2,350 and 610 TPs (short of Gold but with months to go):
* MAN-LHR-AUH (BA in Y) - AUH-CMB-CGK (UL in J) - CGK-DPS (Air Asia) [and back]

Really appreciate the help.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:31 pm

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.