Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] CX - SFO-HKG R/T PE $773.00. - Black Friday Sale

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] CX - SFO-HKG R/T PE $773.00. - Black Friday Sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by okrogius
Five SFO-HKG PE CX trips is more than necessary to qualify for EXP. What's the point?

If you're not traveling AA at all, why bother with mileage runs? If you're flying AA slightly, why not do four (or fewer) mileage runs? Even then, surely just buying business/first for that rare few trip(s) is cheaper than four of these trips.
Pretty much. Isn’t one of the main effects (and perhaps goal) of a FFP to drive customers to behave irrationally?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
Pretty much. Isn’t one of the main effects (and perhaps goal) of a FFP to drive customers to behave irrationally?
There are always different degrees of irrational behavior. Spending an extra trip or two on margin might arguably make sense -- although value of benefits might not always exceed the cost of those trips. I even understand the argument of extra short trips/vacations when they're discounted by better treatment/benefits/etc. But if you're flying entirely for the sake of miles/status, without actually doing something at the destination (e.g. same-day turns or one night stops, without any actual stays), that's just puzzling.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I am doing 2 flights SFO-HKG over MLK weekend and President's day weekend spending 3-4 nights. Also, I am going to do week vacation in Bali as well on this deal. I am signed up for a 100 KM ultra marathon in January so this deal saved me a bunch of money for that! The perfect combo of mileage running and running mileage.

I recommend people to get out to Lantau island just next to HKG and go hiking. There are beautiful trails upto Lantau peak / big Buddha and Sunset Peak. It is great to get a bunch of exercise hiking and then binge at Cathay lounges afterwards.
PurdueFlyer and E55 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by okrogius
Five SFO-HKG PE CX trips is more than necessary to qualify for EXP. What's the point?

If you're not traveling AA at all, why bother with mileage runs? If you're flying AA slightly, why not do four (or fewer) mileage runs? Even then, surely just buying business/first for that rare few trip(s) is cheaper than four of these trips.
Some people (like me) actually enjoy all the aspects of travelling, such as being at an airport and flying. While long flights can be tiresome, a premium seat makes it less so. Those trips sound absolute lovely, even though I would have stayed two nights in each destination.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: free agent
Thanks to this CX deal, booked LAX-SIN and BKK. Will become AA platinum once again, and I’ll wait for future OW deals to see if it make sense to go for EXP.

Happy with platinum level since I travel internationally frequently than domestic so lounge access, priority boarding and 2 free bags will be helpful. EXP would be nice but 15000 EQD requirement and inability to redeem SWU at time of booking make it less attractive, especially someone who don’t fly AA often.
E55 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:48 am

Does this deal expire US time or Hong Kong time?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Barkinpark
Does this deal expire US time or Hong Kong time?
Countdown timer on the offers page COUNTDOWN TIMER
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by beershack
Countdown timer on the offers page COUNTDOWN TIMER
Thanks. I missed this. Monday morning blues.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm a bit late but I took out what was too rich for my liking and took a look at the values of some that remain. For what it's worth, my considerations will include my home airport of GNV (or JAX, MCO, TPA, etc) and positioning.

Some calculations...last day of Black Friday sale.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
I'm a bit late but I took out what was too rich for my liking and took a look at the values of some that remain. For what it's worth, my considerations will include my home airport of GNV (or JAX, MCO, TPA, etc) and positioning.

Some calculations...last day of Black Friday sale.
Thanks, but...

I think some of your calculations are off... all your prices are in the $700 range, but for example SFO-BLR is $1,400 so 2.67 EQD/$ not 4.59. FWIW I'm also trying to figure out a nice MR or 2 on this deal, already have a SFO-HKG RT in Jan. For what it's worth, here are my EQD/$ calculations out of SFO:

CGK-> 3.34
HKG-> 3.43
SIN -> 3.42
SGN- > 3.04
BKK -> 2.94
DEL -> 2.65

Last edited by no2chem; Nov 27, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by no2chem
Thanks, but...

I think some of your calculations are off... all your prices are in the $700 range, but for example SFO-BLR is $1,400 so 2.67 EQD/$ not 4.59. FWIW I'm also trying to figure out a nice MR or 2 on this deal, already have a SFO-HKG RT in Jan.
I had all the correct prices pasted in there but somehow screwed it up in the translation. Thank you for catching that I will fix it when I get back to my hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Barkinpark
Thanks. I missed this. Monday morning blues.
code appears expired even though the timer is not.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by exmike
code appears expired even though the timer is not.
Code is fine, it's just not easy to use. You must select an origin in the US and you must select premium economy or business.
Your travel dates must be from 1/1/19-5/15/19. Otherwise it will tell you code expired.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by no2chem
Code is fine, it's just not easy to use. You must select an origin in the US and you must select premium economy or business.
Your travel dates must be from 1/1/19-5/15/19. Otherwise it will tell you code expired.
youre right. brain fart
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
LAX-SIN is pricing from $945 in Premium Economy although it's not listed as a city pair on the website. About 3540 EQD and 26540 EQM. Booked a week trip, need to figure out where to go - maybe Bintan or Batam. Really good price for this trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.