Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

MR to 200,000 BIS Miles in 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR to 200,000 BIS Miles in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17
NYC area; although I have positioned elsewhere on good deals, including outside the US.

Schedule isn't too bad. Most travels are on weekends and some INTL trips may stretch to three to four days, especially to/from Asia (but in essence a weekend trip - Thursday departure, Friday arrival due to time zones, on the ground Saturday and Sunday, and leave on Monday morning and get back home with only two days of PTO taken).

Anyway, I have booked two R/T weekend trips to SF (my second home, almost), on back-to-back weekends good for 10,344 miles to get me over 200K. Combined price was $250 (used an soon-to-expire and almost forgotten credit on one ticket). Have a few hours on the ground in SF each time, so plan to take advantage of the spare time.
dont you think it is silly to fly 10k for no reason just to make 200k?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pbd456
nawp. if you wanna earn miles to achieve a level that accrues additional benefits, then it is of value.

David
sfsouthbay likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA:Gold; IHG: Platinum;
What an astonishing question!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
nawp. if you wanna earn miles to achieve a level that accrues additional benefits, then it is of value.

David
but the OP does not seem to have any particular status in mind, hence my question.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by chrislondon2
What an astonishing question!
i do plenty of mileage run. 200K of them every year for last many years. max out at 350k in 2014.

however, i didnt fly for no reason. keep status, earning a good amount of RDM, for example.

example, did a trip for 3600 USD in J class 60K flown miles [all flat bed] allow me to position to the right place at the right time, and earned almost 250k RDM.

i dont particularly aim a round amount base 10 as a goal itself.
if the 10k can accure additional benefits like keep exec plat (for swu) or ua 1k GPU. sure.
for no reason just to fly when it is costing money (and flying big 3 and crediting on big 3 will never get good RDM under dollar based earning
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Come on, this is FT. As if we need a reason to fly

As said, SF is kind like my second home. I am having dinner with some friends on those two weekends, so it would be good to catch up with them. That is part of the value proposition for me.

Despite the fact these two tickets do nothing for this year's status earning, one allows me to get a head start in 2019, and the other is basically free money.

And I didn't spend nearly the level of dollar requirement for status earning.

Last edited by Repooc17; Oct 20, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:38 pm

idk. i am too practical. when i spend money, i expect some return.

otherwise, there is no reason to stop doing 10k, why not fly 100k more? where does it end?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
idk. i am too practical. when i spend money, i expect some return.

otherwise, there is no reason to stop doing 10k, why not fly 100k more? where does it end?
The value of return is different for everyone. As said, part of the return would be catching up with friends. Of course, I would be earning miles, which would be helpful for both future award redemption and 2019 status (rollover MQM with Delta, fo example). At the end of day, I don't put a lot of emphasis on the level of status I can earn with x miles of travel. Instead, I am focused on what I can do with those tickets; the journey and the destination is just as important for me as buying a $500 AM J ticket and crediting to DL for tons of miles and a lot more than $500 in MQD.

​​​​​​​
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:38 pm

if you are want to fly to visit your friend, then what is the point of making 200K? it is just you want to travel, right? what is the entire point of the post?
assuming that you fly delta, the RDM is meaningless since it is so little
the EQM is meaningless since it seems that you need EQD for higher status (in fact, it is wasteful to spend the money this year since there is no EQD for rollover..

i am all for mileage running.

for delta. back in 2014, i spent 1200 USD to obtain delta diamond and earned almost 300k delta RDM.

Last edited by pbd456; Oct 21, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, DAL Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17
NYC area; although I have positioned elsewhere on good deals, including outside the US.

Schedule isn't too bad. Most travels are on weekends and some INTL trips may stretch to three to four days, especially to/from Asia (but in essence a weekend trip - Thursday departure, Friday arrival due to time zones, on the ground Saturday and Sunday, and leave on Monday morning and get back home with only two days of PTO taken).

Anyway, I have booked two R/T weekend trips to SF (my second home, almost), on back-to-back weekends good for 10,344 miles to get me over 200K. Combined price was $250 (used an soon-to-expire and almost forgotten credit on one ticket). Have a few hours on the ground in SF each time, so plan to take advantage of the spare time.
Nice! Live in NYC and have a house in Stamford. Great hub! ...and a great xcross country fare you found. I'd take AA from JFK to LAX and take advantage of the first class lounge
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:35 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Well where have you gone? I mean why not go somewhere new if you can right?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

if you are want to fly to visit your friend, then what is the point of making 200K? it is just you want to travel, right? what is the entire point of the post?
assuming that you fly delta, the RDM is meaningless since it is so little
the EQM is meaningless since it seems that you need EQD for higher status (in fact, it is wasteful to spend the money this year since there is no EQD for rollover..

i am all for mileage running.

for delta. back in 2014, i spent 1200 USD to obtain delta diamond and earned almost 300k delta RDM.
MQM is rolloverable.

The other factor is lifetime miles.

Originally Posted by skyccord
Well where have you gone? I mean why not go somewhere new if you can right?
I am still here and not traveling this month for the first time in the year, but will do a bunch of train rides (Amtrak) and road trip by car.

Will complete 200k in BIS next month.

Onward!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.