Wiki Posts
Search

Segment Run Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Segment Run Advice Please

Hi Guys,
I need to book 18 segments out of DTW the week of 12/25 to hit EP on AA. 3 round trips with 2 connections each way should do it. Trying to find the cheapest way to do this is tricky. Any way to trick Google into showing only flights with 2+ stops? Recommendations on other software / sites to use?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The week of the 25th will be expensive. Can you travel this week? Where do you live?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbgmiles
The week of the 25th will be expensive. Can you travel this week? Where do you live?
i know, I'm already on trips this week and next non stop until the 24th. DTW is home
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, SPG, Chase (CSR), UA
your mileage run

Originally Posted by davidkierz
Hi Guys,
I need to book 18 segments out of DTW the week of 12/25 to hit EP on AA. 3 round trips with 2 connections each way should do it. Trying to find the cheapest way to do this is tricky. Any way to trick Google into showing only flights with 2+ stops? Recommendations on other software / sites to use?
I'm far from an expert, but it seems to me like given that it's still 18 takeoffs and landings any way you slice it, if you are flexible about segments per ticket and focus instead on segments per dollar and segments per day, you might accomplish your goal more easily/cheaply. Many of the 3-segment routings are more than 50% more expensive than their 2-segment counterparts, which means you're paying a premium over the additional 1 segment they yield you. However, I did find a couple which I'm including. Basically I picked a destination based on cheapness (Charlotte is frequently the best) and then skipped it if it had only nonstops showing. Then I picked the most economical 1-stop flight, or picking a 2-stop version if one was available and if it was "worth it."

I'm assuming American Eagle flights count same as any - you'll want to double-check.

4 segments - https://goo.gl/flights/7w5U $262 DTW-DCA-BNA-CLT-DTW 12/24 same day turnaround
5 segments - https://goo.gl/flights/B27D $187 DTW-PHL-SBY-**CLT-ORD-DTW 12/25 same day turnaround, **note SBY-CLT is a Dash 8 prop plane.
(i skipped 12/26 because prices were too nuts - take a break)
5 segments - https://goo.gl/flights/tWSW $358 DTW-DCA-CLT-BNA-ORD-DTW 12/27 same day turnaround
5 segments - https://goo.gl/flights/is2f $345 DTW-DCA-CLT-ATL-ORD-DTW 12/28 same day turnaround

Well, I've got you 19 segments there and still home in plenty of time to recuperate and prep for new years - and only $1152 spent, plus you may come to be on a first name basis with the morning shift crew at the Starbucks at National. So if you want you can skip the Dash-8 segment if you don't like prop planes. Or keep it and you can shorten one of your later flights by a segment. I just kinda had to leave it in there for how good a deal that ticket was per segment.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:17 am
Original Poster

thanks daniel949 !
So I got everything planned out thanks to you. Sometimes AA will reject the google flights I pick, im not sure why. Also I noticed in Economy fare I get 1/2 the segments that I would get in standard. The SBY trip was showing 2.5 EQS. . Managed to get 18 segments in for around 1100 dollars. hopefully I don't miss any connections!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.