Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] La/++ akl-scl-mad-hnd €570

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beyounged
I think for this fellow FTer it may push it quite high over 2.3k, since his outbound is in Q and Y bucket and it is definitely not the cheaper buckets, if I were him I would try finding a cheaper date for X, N, V outbound. if he is fixed to this date then...
You can try F LA..; F BC=X BC=N BC=V in the fare controls. One or all, just separate with the verticle bar, semi-colon between commands.

James

EDIT: There should be a verticle bar between each BC=X, Flyertalk is stripping them away.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by rosege
Thanks rill - its not valid routing - but I am finding it now doing ICN - MAD - SCL - SYD - HKG - TYO
Still playing around with the many variations but that fare is coming out around $877USD in various economy classes
Try SCL-SYD-PER-SIN-TYO or SCL-SYD-BNE-ICN-TYO or...... lol

James
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A lot of information but hopefully this helps a few work out some great itineraries without breaking the bank. My first itinerary is ICN-HKG-SYD-SCL-MAD-DXB-ICN-HKG-NRT. First three flights in Y, the next 5 in J. $2.1K, ~$265.00 / segment, 30,404 miles, AS EQM 34K, 92K RDM with MVPG75K and CC spend. Notice that I am flying ICN-HKG twice, both on KE, once in Y and once in J. Crazy!
Ha great route! I just tried that and see it coming up too - amazing.
Thanks for all the info - helps me a lot! havent finalised the plan yet but you've given me more ideas!
Also I've found using bc=i can also sometimes get some of the flights in business for around the same price (or slightly above) if not doing the 4 stopovers

Last edited by rosege; Jun 15, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by rosege
Ha great route! I just tried that and see it coming up too - amazing.
Thanks for all the info - helps me a lot! havent finalised the plan yet but you've given me more ideas!
Also I've found using bc=i can also sometimes get some of the flights in business for around the same price (or slightly above) if not doing the 4 stopovers
Good to hear. The J fares (except EK) are from the lowest fare buckets. BA will be R class, EK will be O, JL will be X etc... By specifying F bc=i some flights may be excluded or no results returned if not mapped between the airlines. Alternatively, in the fare control you can add +CABIN 2 to specify business on that leg.

I have also found JL to be finicky. Sometimes it will be business X class, sometimes Full Fare Y class so watch your options closely. I didn't use SQ or JL because they don't credit as much to Mileage Plan.

In February we are doing a route starting in SYD but taking the Island Route, 9 segments, 4 Y (all <5 hours long), 5 J with a 12 day stopover in PPT for an 8 day Tahitian Cruise and a few days in Bora Bora. The route is SYD-AKL-PPT-IPC-SCL-MAD-LHR-SEZ-DXB-NRT, with an Emirates chauffer drive from NRT close to HND for our JL F awards back to Canada. CX 1F & 1J awards will get us to Los Angles for LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE . We have ~23 hours in AKL, IPC, MAD, LHR & DXB and almost 16 hours from 8 am to midnight to explore the Seychelles. Should be a fun.

For those flying SYD/AKL-PPT the time change is interesting with AKL & PPT being separated by the International Date Line. We depart AKL @ 4:30 pm on the 21st and after a 5 hour flight you arrive at about 10:30 pm the night before (on the 20th)

James
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by beyounged
I think for this fellow FTer it may push it quite high over 2.3k, since his outbound is in Q and Y bucket and it is definitely not the cheaper buckets, if I were him I would try finding a cheaper date for X, N, V outbound. if he is fixed to this date then...
Close, it jumps to $2.2K. The Y class may be just for his dates or it could be because of the multiple stopovers in the itinerary.

James
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BD AB CO
Has anyone been able to build in a few stopovers and if so, how did you do it? I can do one on the outward and one on the return but anything else longer that 24 hours sends the price rocketing. Lot's of lovely multi stop itineries in J are possible but ideally, I'd like to spend more than a few hours in each place!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: QF
Can someone please repost how to change powertools to work with LATAM. I've been through this thread but couldnt find it.
Im having trouble booking my trip as its not pricing anywhere else yet - even with powertools.
Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by andymac66
Has anyone been able to build in a few stopovers and if so, how did you do it? I can do one on the outward and one on the return but anything else longer that 24 hours sends the price rocketing. Lot's of lovely multi stop itineries in J are possible but ideally, I'd like to spend more than a few hours in each place!
Additional stopovers will increase your fare by $100 USD each and possibly more like APD in LHR on BA. Using the multi city add a flight to where you would like the stopover ie HEL would be SCL-HEL with MAD in routing control. The next flight would be HEL-TYO with your desired date after your stopover. Add the number of flights you want stopovers for.
NOW for the critical step!

This is the step that is crucial to linking it all together. In the Fare controls for EACH flight between SCL & TYO add F LA.SCL+TYO. This will link all your flights together and apply the Fare rule for LA between SCL & TYO.

Here is an example! All Y priced at $1200 USD, J from SCL priced at $2200 USD with all the stopovers.

our_kid, pbd456 and armouredant like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:49 am

Any matrix sample itinerary in J for $2200?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ckn2
Any matrix sample itinerary in J for $2200?
Please see my prior post.

James
honzeek_cz likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: BD AB CO
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Additional stopovers will increase your fare by $100 USD each and possibly more like APD in LHR on BA. Using the multi city add a flight to where you would like the stopover ie HEL would be SCL-HEL with MAD in routing control. The next flight would be HEL-TYO with your desired date after your stopover. Add the number of flights you want stopovers for.
NOW for the critical step!

This is the step that is crucial to linking it all together. In the Fare controls for EACH flight between SCL & TYO add F LA.SCL+TYO. This will link all your flights together and apply the Fare rule for LA between SCL & TYO.

Here is an example! All Y priced at $1200 USD, J from SCL priced at $2200 USD with all the stopovers.

Many thanks for the detailed instructions. I've managed to bring down the price of some itineries that I was looking at and I was able to get SEZ to price for the first time. Unfortunately adding stopovers still seems to increase the price by thousands, not hundreds. I'll keep playing around with it though. Many more hours of fun ahead I think...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:59 pm

First let me thank the OP, James and other FTers for all the suggestions and making it possible for
neophytes like me to play with this :-)

I am working on this three Flight setup in Matrix:
SCL MAD DXB HYD (f la.. IEXEV6GB), 12/10/18 +/- 2days
HYD X? NRT (f la.. IEXEV6GB) 12/15/18 +/- 2 days
ICN X? HKG MAD X+ SCL (f la.. IEXEV6GB) 12/29/18 +/- 2 days

The +/- 2 days causes flights 1 and 2 to become one (less than 24 hours stopover) with a reasonable fare (all business)
Fare 1: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$952,500
Fare 2: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$952,500
+ other charges total to CL $2,115,125

The moment I add a > 24 hour stopover in HYD the Fare 1 doubles. i.e, change line 2 to
HYD X? NRT (f la.. IEXEV6GB) 12/20/18 +/- 2 days

the fare becomes
Fare 1: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$1,697,184
Fare 2: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$958,500
+ other charges total to CL $2,927,757

I am expecting an increase of $100USD for a stop over. Tried variations
on fare controls (nothing, f la.., f la.scl+tyo ..etc) and it has no affect.

I have played with this for a few days, and trying to understand what's happening. The fare
buckets are very similar in both cases (discounted business I,O,R,X). Is the stopover somehow
causing it to be treated as two separate fares, one full fare + an additional half fare add-on?
Any ideas on how to prove that's really the case or not, and how to bring it down?

Or should I just attribute it to vagaries of ticketing and move on to something else?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
can you share exact routing, i.e. picture, of the cheap routing? i was going to play with it, but regardless of what try, i get the more expenise 1700 usd fare each, for both legs.

Originally Posted by prasadman
First let me thank the OP, James and other FTers for all the suggestions and making it possible for
neophytes like me to play with this :-)

I am working on this three Flight setup in Matrix:
SCL MAD DXB HYD (f la.. IEXEV6GB), 12/10/18 +/- 2days
HYD X? NRT (f la.. IEXEV6GB) 12/15/18 +/- 2 days
ICN X? HKG MAD X+ SCL (f la.. IEXEV6GB) 12/29/18 +/- 2 days

The +/- 2 days causes flights 1 and 2 to become one (less than 24 hours stopover) with a reasonable fare (all business)
Fare 1: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$952,500
Fare 2: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$952,500
+ other charges total to CL $2,115,125

The moment I add a > 24 hour stopover in HYD the Fare 1 doubles. i.e, change line 2 to
HYD X? NRT (f la.. IEXEV6GB) 12/20/18 +/- 2 days

the fare becomes
Fare 1: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$1,697,184
Fare 2: Carrier LA IEXEV6GB SCL to TYO CL$958,500
+ other charges total to CL $2,927,757

I am expecting an increase of $100USD for a stop over. Tried variations
on fare controls (nothing, f la.., f la.scl+tyo ..etc) and it has no affect.

I have played with this for a few days, and trying to understand what's happening. The fare
buckets are very similar in both cases (discounted business I,O,R,X). Is the stopover somehow
causing it to be treated as two separate fares, one full fare + an additional half fare add-on?
Any ideas on how to prove that's really the case or not, and how to bring it down?

Or should I just attribute it to vagaries of ticketing and move on to something else?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
can you share exact routing, i.e. picture, of the cheap routing? i was going to play with it, but regardless of what try, i get the more expenise 1700 usd fare each, for both legs.
The "cheap routing" is 1700US$ each way (CL$2115125 = USD3302). Here is a pic:

Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:18 am

Forgot to mention this is a slightly different version (no LHR-> DXB) - adding that does not make a big difference in pricing (adds more miles though).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.