Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] BA/AA/LATAM r/t LHR to GYE First & Business from £797

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Again - none of the flights you have quoted, were for F Fares.

2 of the 4 flights are in F, while 2 are in J. I agree therefore, that 50% of the flight designations are in F. However, well over 50% of the flying time is in F opposed to J. This, however, is all for a Judge to decide, opposed to FTers whose interpretation counts, legally, for nothing.

With regards to the inferior/superior seating issue, that is a red herring which I won't delve into.

M
GYE-JFK is blocked at 6:45, JFK-LHR at 7:05. Safe to say roughly half is in (inferior) International First Class and half is in (inferior) International Business Class. Thus, the discounted price. (BA wants to make a case their First Class is not 'inferior' to many other carriers, go right ahead. Net revenue per available first class seat will show it clearly. Does BA want to reveal that in court? Doubtful.)

IF someone take this to court, and IF it is not small claims court, and IF a court is willing to hear the case on the merits, a judge will finally make a determination on when an airline must honor a fare purchased on their site. (Agreed with anyone who says those are three big IF's.) BA would be required to reveal their criteria on why they honor some discounted fares and why they don't honor others. (Again, I doubt they would want to have that discussion in a public court.) The First vs. Business argument will not enter into determining the definition of valid/flyable fare vs. cancelable. If the recordings of BA agents saying this is a valid fare stay true, it will be problematic for BA to convince a court they should be allowed to cancel fares because now they think the price is too low.

The possible outcomes here...

1. BA could reverse course and allow the bookings to remain. All this goes away quietly.

2. Assuming they are canceled, most people will likely grumble grumble grumble and it will end there. BA is betting on that.

3. Assuming they are canceled, a few will likely go the small claims route. BA will offer a modest settlement. Even small claims court is not worth the effort/publicity for BA. This will end most, if not all, these small claims cases. If a small few stick around, BA will take their lumps, pay, and move on.

4. Assuming they are canceled, if someone pursues this further in federal court, and if a court is willing to hear arguments, (and, agreed again, THAT is a big IF), BA will 100% settle. The cost of (a) going to court, (b) risking a precedent-setting ruling, (c) paying court costs, (d) bad publicity and (e) a potential ruling that includes significant punitive damages, is too much to risk compared to a mildly significant, but confidential, settlement.

Don't think they would settle? Just as UA how much they quickly paid the good doctor. Oh right, we don't know. Quick confidential settlement!

Even now, I am sure BA is weighing all of this. (Think ANA reversal.) The mere cost of multiple small claims cases, in multiple jurisdictions, in multiple countries, may be enough for them to decide to honor the fare. The legal costs alone could easily make it not worth it to fight.

My thought right now is if they follow through and cancel my valid booking, I will file in Federal Court in Miami. But, hey BA, I am willing to settle... for now.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
More than one foreign airline has quietly settled small claims cases made in Minnesota against the airline.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:09 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Closing thread for cooling off period and time for everyone to review Rule 12.

The Mileage Run Discussion Forum is about the fare, not anyone's opinion about the airline or other tangential issues regarding BA. Take that to the BA Forum.

Pat89339, Moderator Mileage Run Forum
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:39 pm

[BA JFK-GYE] Has your ticket been canceled?

Hi y'all,

Hope this is an appropriate topic for this forum. So it has been well more than two hours (5 pm UK time) past the BA's promised deadline to cancel the JFK-GYE ticket.

I just want to say that my ticket status is still 'OK'. You could check it on BA or http://www.amadeus.com.tw/eitr/default.aspx

For anyone who might be interested, my basic itinerary info is:

Date of Departure: Late December
Connecting Point: JFK/JFK
Carrier: BA+XL+XL+BA
Ticket from: Expedia

Is your ticket OK as well (at least for now)?

p.s. I wish I could post this in the original BA Fare thread, which unfortunately is temporarily shut down. When that thread re-opens could anyone please merge the two? Much appreciated!
SvenAge likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:46 pm

They haven't cancelled my ticket either - presumably everyone has gone home or to the pub.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Perhaps the note about cancellation was an 'error/mistake e-mail' and they will shortly issue an apology and clarification that these fares are clear for travel.

Some people seemed to receive e-mails. Others didn't. So I suspect we will have travellers turning up at the airport from tomorrow onwards intending to travel on tickets that haven't been cancelled and/or they have received no communication about regarding cancellation etc.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:52 pm

Mine is still showing on ba.com where I purchased.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Despite the e-mail, as of now still alive and kicking
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by The Wolf
Despite the e-mail, as of now still alive and kicking
The longer BA has people's money and not refund the ticket - will not help their case.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have cleaned up the thread and deleted many off topic and Rule 12 violations.

Let me make this clear. The topic of discussion in this thread is the Fare.

Off topic posts, including derogatory terms, comments about apologists and the like will not be tolerated and will subject you to discipline. Each and every one of you are held to the terms of FlyerTalk. I strongly suggest you review Rule 12 which I have quoted in detail below:
12. Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting

Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
I also call to your attention Rule 16:
Use Of Obscene Or Offensive Language/Material
Posts containing obscene, profane, vulgar, abusive, hateful, threatening, harassing, or otherwise offensive language or material will not be tolerated.

Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

If you consider a post by another member to fit into this category, please refer it to the moderator team for action and refrain from drawing further attention to it by posting a reply.
Pat89339, Moderator
Mileage Run Forum

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 9, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:46 pm

Still not cancelled.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:48 pm
zow

My two tickets remain viewable in Manage My Booking. Booked via AMEX.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
OK now that we are allowed to talk again, who’s tickets got canceled and who’s tickets did not? My three tickets did not get canceled.
I don't think the letter implied they would be cancelled at 5pm on Monday... rather that you had until that time to ask for the other options offered. I would expect that they'll take some time to cancel them all (not because they should but because they inevitably will be slow to get to them all).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:49 pm

My tickets are still there as well.

Originally Posted by absoluy
I don't think the letter implied they would be cancelled at 5pm on Monday... rather that you had until that time to ask for the other options offered. I would expect that they'll take some time to cancel them all (not because they should but because they inevitably will be slow to get to them all).
To that end, anyone flying this week?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
So obviously they did not cancel the fares which is very interesting. I’m just wondering if that email was a bluff to try and get you to actually call and cancel the reservation on your own. Although many people have reported And got recordings of reservation agents not knowing anything about the tickets being not valid.

So this is an interesting situation I don’t know if they’re going to cancel the tickets tomorrow, or they were bluffing and they wanted us to call and cancel it by ourselves so nobody would have a case or...

Maybe their IT department is just so bad that it’s actually going to take them a very long time to actually cancel the tickets. It’s puzzling. Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited by Edgerfly; Oct 9, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.