Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] AC: AMS/DUS/... - LAX/SFO/.... €200+ return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] AC: AMS/DUS/... - LAX/SFO/.... €200+ return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Originally Posted by Tblack15
I can't seem to get Saudia to work, but that's where "we" always check.

Our tickets are still showing on AC as good. I'd be nervous if there doing some arbitrary "cheapest tickets" test, as our tickets were $256 on AC.com, but then able to get an OTA to give me $208.
Mine appears to work on Saudi which is a positive and still saying confirmed on AC.

Good spot fslnc on Twitter
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fslnc
Good news!

Sidenote, I really wish that the term 'error fare' did not stick in people's minds or on the blogs. It seems like it has become a common term nowadays among colleagues but does nothing to help the legitimacy of these fares.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Waz22
Mine appears to work on Saudi which is a positive and still saying confirmed on AC.

Good spot fslnc on Twitter
Wow! I can lookup mine by using e-ticket number as well! Great!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:14 pm

Thanks for all your answers.

Ronald
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by thanaset
Wow! I can lookup mine by using e-ticket number as well! Great!
I actually can't find my e-ticket number.. on AC.com it says 014XXXXXX, would love to grab it for reference.

Anyone have experience finding this without calling?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
I actually can't find my e-ticket number.. on AC.com it says 014XXXXXX, would love to grab it for reference.

Depends who you booked through. My agent sent it to me in their confirmation.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:35 pm

You can scan QR Code from the printed confirmation page on AC site.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Sidenote, I really wish that the term 'error fare' did not stick in people's minds or on the blogs. It seems like it has become a common term nowadays among colleagues but does nothing to help the legitimacy of these fares.

Absolutely right. By screaming "ERROR FARE" at the top of every flight-deal website and blog, these people are only strengthening airlines' cases for voiding the contracts and cancelling tickets.

I really must do some research into the legal position of buying airline tickets, particularly as it relates to jurisdiction. For some reason, I always thought that if I used the UK version of an airline's website and paid in my home currency (GBP), the contract formed will be governed by UK law. Does anyone know about this? Or do airlines' terms of contracts simply settle this point?

Under British contract law, a party to a contract made with a pricing error cannot necessarily rescind/void that contract. It's not enough that a party can show that there has been an error - the error must have been objectively obvious. This means that any reasonable person would have regarded the price as obviously an error.

Most cases of contracts voidable because of pricing error relate to clearly ridiculous prices being advertised - eg. a new car for £10 because someone didn't enter three more zeros in the computer system. Sometimes people misplace a decimal point and something ends up shown for one percent of its worth.

In the case of airfares, however, the error is rarely so dramatic or obvious. I believe that under British law an airline would have trouble saying that a round-trip ticket from London to NYC for £169 was an obvious error. A reasonable person would just regard that as a great price, not an error. We live in an age of budget airlines and incredibly cheap flights. Ryanair routinely charges 20 euros for 3-hour flights, WOW air is currently advertising US West Coast to Europe flights for $70 one-way and, the same day I bought the Air Canada flight for 140 euros round-trip (Europe to US), I also bought a flight on Norwegian from NYC to Edinburgh for 50 euros. The Norwegian price was definitely not an error. I'm no lawyer, but I really think that Air Canada would have a problem if challenged. Although I'm talking about British contract law, I'm sure that other jurisdictions have similar provisions - after all, the world can't live in a state of perpetual indecision, not knowing if a contract is about to be rescinded just because one party to it thinks they shouldn't have made the contract at the price.

In summary, provisions relating to rescinding a contract due to error are often very limited in their scope and, in 2017, when we can fly around the globe for very little money, I believe airlines are going to have problems validlyrescinding contracts made pursuant to these error fares.

As a side note, I think Air Canada's position in this is even weaker due to the fact that it seems that the YQ was omitted from the tickets. The base fare was correct. Would Air Canada really stand up in front of a British judge and claim with a straight face that in 2017, a year of incredibly low oil prices, that it made an error in not charging several hundred dollars extra per ticket as a fuel surcharge.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You need a lot of words... but it means nothing. We all know it was indeed an error, or did you just at that exact time decide to book these specific routes?

So stop with all the nonsense. If the airline honors the tickets, great... if not, move on.
headingwest likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:45 pm

The point I was making was a general one about whether or not companies can cancel contracts when they discover a pricing error. I was not particularly concerned about my own ticket.

I think that airlines are on weak legal ground when they cancel tickets that end up cheap but not ridiculously cheap due to errors. Ar least in my country, that would seem that case.

From what I read, many of AC's international flights were mis-priced for several hours so it stands to reason that many passengers would have bought these tickets just by chance.

I do accept, however, that this is not a thread/forum suited to a general discussion about the rights-and-wrongs of cancellations so I apologise for raising the points here.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:24 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Tripair cancelled immediatly my booking but with another OTA it's still alive
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by thanaset
You can scan QR Code from the printed confirmation page on AC site.
Scan using what?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:18 pm

Scan using what?
Your mobile with a QR Scanner/Reader App.

There are plenty of apps on AppStore/Playstore.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: SE+, OWS

check it at checkmytrip . com
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:45 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
so is AC letting these fly or what's going on? I've seen some random tweets, but nothing concrete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.