Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: CAI - Argentina ~$2,500, unrestricted J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: CAI - Argentina ~$2,500, unrestricted J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I suspect that you are booking a J1NFFMN5 fare basis itinerary, which has the following limitation:
The "J" fare at the same price does not have these limitations.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Calchas
The "J" fare at the same price does not have these limitations.
Agreed.

That said, as mentioned in the initial post of this thread, I was unsuccessful (using Powertools) to get any MS metal operated flight ex-CAI to load for ticketing, even for "J" fare itineraries. The problem resolved itself only when I chose LH, OS, LX, AZ, or BA metal flights ex-CAI.

[P.S. I never tried loading any of the EY CAI-AUH-LON itineraries, as the timings didn't suit.]
Calchas likes this.

Last edited by jbalmuth; Aug 14, 2017 at 11:16 am Reason: added P.S.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Man do I wish this would work in February.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Agreed.

That said, as mentioned in the initial post of this thread, I was unsuccessful (using Powertools) to get any MS metal operated flight ex-CAI to load for ticketing, even for "J" fare itineraries. The problem resolved itself only when I chose LH, OS, LX, AZ, or BA metal flights ex-CAI.

[P.S. I never tried loading any of the EY CAI-AUH-LON itineraries, as the timings didn't suit.]
EY works just fine. MS doesn't but can't figure out why on J fare rules.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Can someone explain how to book this using the fare code J1NFFMN5 on matrix? I have gone into Multi City, advance controls, Extension Codes and put in +J J1NFFMN5, and many multiples and I cannot get this to price. What am I missing? Or am I not needing to do this and making this too complicated?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
Can someone explain how to book this using the fare code J1NFFMN5 on matrix? I have gone into Multi City, advance controls, Extension Codes and put in +J J1NFFMN5, and many multiples and I cannot get this to price. What am I missing? Or am I not needing to do this and making this too complicated?
Try F BC=J instead.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:16 pm

You can also try typing the fare basis:
F ..J1NFFMN5 or F AA..J1NFFMN5
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
Try F BC=J instead.
This. I'd also suggest choosing the airlines you want to fly and forcing ITA to use those airlines only.

Example: CAI-EZE (via LON & USA)
Outbound routing code: BA AA+ 4M,LA
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try F BC=J instead.
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
You can also try typing the fare basis:
F ..J1NFFMN5 or F AA..J1NFFMN5
Originally Posted by swingaling
This. I'd also suggest choosing the airlines you want to fly and forcing ITA to use those airlines only.

Example: CAI-EZE (via LON & USA)
Outbound routing code: BA AA+ 4M,LA
The fare code filtering works at the end of the search, when the search is nearly finished, whereas he routing codes do actually affect the search from the beginning. So with a complex search like this, best to put in the routing codes as swingaling suggests as well.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:31 pm

I'm based in Egypt and would like to visit Argentina for vacation sometime around mid-September for a week or 10 days; could someone help me price this out? Been trying for the past hour and my heads just about ready to explode !
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I'm based in Egypt and would like to visit Argentina for vacation sometime around mid-September for a week or 10 days; could someone help me price this out? Been trying for the past hour and my heads just about ready to explode !
What do you have so far?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
What do you have so far?
Total cost for 1 passenger
$8,721.12

As you can see, I'm not very good at this !
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I agree with posters above about apecifying routing in the ITA advaced codes box and will add that particualrly for fares that mostly have flight restrictions on the overwater segment this can be a good way to rapidly check what you can do in other areas. This was how i quickly found CAI AUH LHR MIA EZE last night. Just put AUH LHR MIA in that ITA field, or whatever combination of airports you want to fly through. Much easier to enter as a simple rountrip than guess connection time, etc as a string of multiple segments and dates. Once you find the general flow you want, go back and enter as separate segments to tweak exact flights, times and dates you want. I used this techique to learn the limits of those old AA JR fares that have surfaced over time (and that generally allow you to do what you want short of AA metal over the atlantic or pacific).
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what I tried:

Search page (click for clearer view):

Loads of options, picked two at random:

To improve:
No need to choose currency USD, that's just for convenience.
You can allow airport changes if you like, personally I don't.
Specify the route more precisely to reduce time spent trying unwanted combinations, e.g., BA LON AA JFK,MIA,DFW AA
Gino Troian and ChurchofTee like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by jbalmuth; Aug 14, 2017 at 2:11 pm Reason: duplicate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.