Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Google Flights Becoming Useless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

This seems to be happening with greater frequency - Google returns an amazing fare in a premium cabin, but the fare is unbookable and cannot be found on any website, GDS or even the airline itself.

Just happened again today - LAX-DPS/HKG-LAX prices at $2,100US on Google - but more than double the price on cx.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Apollo GDS and even an ITA search.

What's the use of this product if the results cannot be trusted?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
This has been driving me crazy lately.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:54 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In a few instances for coach seats on AA, I was able to first go to "google flights" and then seamlessly book them on aa.com; but when I first went to aa.com, those flts weren't even listed.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I just call Delta and they can usually find the flights/prices I'm looking for in very little time.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

I have noticed the opposite: Google Flights showing skyhigh business class fares, but checking on the website of the airlines themselves shows a lot less.
I find that Yapta is much more accurate.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA
And Google flights appears to be crashing my browser more often now.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA, AS, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
saw the very same today.
was looking for a DEL-IAH r/t in economy. Google flights had nothing under 1200 for the date range I was looking for. +/- 3 day search.
Kayak had 900 dollar combination. bookable directly with BA.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I've definitely noticed some pricing discrepancies from time to time, but it is still a good tool for quick searching availability and routes. I tend to trust ITA Matrix more even though they are supposedly puling from the same data.

The simple interface and the price tracking feature is the main appeal for using google flights.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I've seen it go both ways with google flights recently. Higher fares on Google, lower on airlines website and vice versa.

Also had a weird one... Google flight showed a certain price($499), but when I click the booking function on google flights, the price dropped on the booking site($449). When I search straight from the same booking site, it's the same($499). Super weird. But anyways, saved $50 booking through google flights link lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.