Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] JL/AA: SEL-NYC r/t in F as low as $2,800

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] JL/AA: SEL-NYC r/t in F as low as $2,800

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Called EXP line yesterday to change the return of my ticket (remaining segments are ORD-NRT-ICN). At first the agent claimed there was no F seats remaining on ORD-NRT and I gently challenged her, saying I was "seeing" 7 F seats and was she sure she was looking for F instead of A (I was using EF). Finally she said "oh yes there it is it was hiding from me." OK then! She tried to get me into J on AA instead (no thanks) and I was glad I was insistent with her.

Then she tried to reprice. She said the ticket was a discounted corporate ticket and the change fee was $538. I challenged her again, told her this was the return and not the first leg and therefore no re-price should apply. She finally agreed to put me on hold and go to the rate desk, and came back 15 minutes later and said the rate desk had agreed to re-issue at no additional cost.

Honestly I can't say if it was incompetence or malice on AA's part, but at least I got the changes I wanted and was entitled to.
I believe it was both
Old May 28, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Sitting at JFK having just arrived from flying GMP-HND-JFK.
First of all, thanks again to the OP for posting this fare availability.

Second, I must say that I found JL F a bit underwhelming.
The hard product was great - one of the best sleeps I have had on a plane.
Seat is great, IFE screen/controls are good.

But soft product, from lounge in Tokyo, to ground service at both ends,
to food/beverage on board, to IFE content - all disappointed me. Definitely
not up to SQ/LH F experience.

And I must say that the caviar service was the most unusual that I have had in my life.
No onions, no lemon ( until I requested it), no blinis, no sourcream. It was just served
with some mashed up egg yolk, and 2 pieces of what looked like shrimp crackers.
The container size was about 20% the size of that served on SQ/LH.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:54 am

just wondering, are people getting credited by fare basis or distance basis lately? Haven't seem much reports.

For data point - mine's fare basis.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anchor79
just wondering, are people getting credited by fare basis or distance basis lately? Haven't seem much reports.

I flew the initial ICN-NRT-LAX in December, so no EQDs were given, but I just got back from New York after flying my LAX-JFK-LAX legs, and my fare credited as Distance Special Fare. Since I got in late last night, the return hasn't credited yet, but the LAX-JFK flight gave me 743EQDs which is 30%. Wish it was 40% but I'm not complaining
Old May 31, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by anchor79

Flew first leg ICN-NRT-LAX in early May. Unfortunately, got fare basis. Really pathetic on the redeemable miles and EQD comparatively (to distance basis).
Old May 31, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by TravelBug1314
Flew first leg ICN-NRT-LAX in early May. Unfortunately, got fare basis. Really pathetic on the redeemable miles and EQD comparatively (to distance basis).
Did you pay on the US or Korea AA site? Also did you make any changes to the reservation after you booked?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Did you pay on the US or Korea AA site? Also did you make any changes to the reservation after you booked?
Paid on Korea AA site and also made a date change to one segment prior to flying. Was surprised to see that I did get fare basis.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:15 pm

same here, did book on AA Korea, even called AA Korea as segments dropped for my GMP-HND. Luckily, as EP I did not lose too much RDM.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:28 pm

Sorry to hear you guys got miles based on fare. Really curious what triggers the special fare designation :/
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I have a return flight leaving JFK which was previously changed to JFK-HND, NRT-ICN. We decided to throw a way the last leg, and booked a flight from HND on the same day to another destination. Today I got an email of flight change that I am again being put back on JFK-NRT. Hubby has a separate ticket, but his itinerary hasn't been changed (still JFK-HND). Wondering if anyone received the same notification? Worst case I need to get myself from NRT to HND to catch my flight......

Worst of all, the JFK-NRT flight now coded with JL flight number... Probably needs a call the the CS soon.

[update] a call to CS seems to have resolved this. Waiting for the flight to be updated in the reservation. Whew.

Last edited by shihyin; Jun 2, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by balloon1979
Read through all 400 plus posts on this thread and would appreciate any updated info.

Tried calling Ex platinum line based in NC to make changes to an ICN-NRT-JFK-NRT-ICN tix all on AA codes on J/F full fare codes on JL metal. A nice agent tried to help me to make changes to my departure date of first leg (before flying first leg), he asked rate desk and put me on hold for half an hour coming back saying the fare not available anymore and need to re price at current price or get full refund. I politely said thanks and hang up.

Questions:

1. Based on fare rule, technically, free changes should be allowed without reprice BEFORE flying first leg? Or only without reprice AFTER first leg?

2. Based on the the collective knowledge, seems Texas-based call center or Korean call center (press 1-1 to find an English speaking Korean agent) still possible to have the right agents that would have knowledge/patience to abide to the fare rule and make changes with no reprice, any recent experiences?

3. One of my JFK to NRT JL flight got switched to HND which causes impossible connection to the next connecting flight to Seoul, possible to use the "schedule change" excuse to change the dates of outbound flight without reprice?

Just want to get a sense of the above to see how many HUACA I can do before I give up and get full refund as departure date of first leg is June 1st.

Thanks!

An update on this:

Tried calling a few times for a number of my ICN-JFK-ICN F tickets that I want to make changes to both outbound and return dates.

1. Called the Korean Desk (English speaking agent), she talked to her supervisor, then told me changing anything would require a reprice. Best she could do is to give me a full refund of existing ticket and rebook new routing at new price. I politely said the fare rules should allow for free changes without repricing, she checked with supervisor again, agreed that I can change only return segment without repricing, but not the outbound, I politely hung up.

2. Called the Ex Plat desk based in NC, an agent originally said I had to call the Korean Desk since it was paid in foreign currency (bought ticket on AA Korean website). Then after some talking with rate desk, she said if I don't mind paying in USD for any fare difference/change fee, she could help me. At the end after on hold for > 30 minutes while she was working with the rate desk, changed both outbound and return dates with no additional fee/repricing.

3. For another ticket, unfortunately, called Ex Plat desk based in Dallas, after checking with rate desk, agent mentioned the ticket was bought from 3rd party agent (though bought on AA Korean website) so she cannot make any changes, she kick me back to calling the AA Korean Desk.

At the end, 4 out of 6 tickets were changed without repricing. 2 out of 6 I just gave up and got full refund. In my experience, it was the NC based call center got me what I want (not the Korean or Dallas based ones). It really takes ALOT of patience and luck to do the HUACA trick and you have to know how to push politely to get what you want...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:22 am

Wanted to share another experience I had with changing the ticket.

I am taking my last two flights, LAX-NRT-ICN, in the coming weeks. I called to change the date one day early, and was told that there were no seats available in the first class cabin on that date. I checked AA.com and it showed 1 seat available for sale. After a couple more HUCA attempts I finally reached a helpful agent who took the issue to the OneWorld desk. 5min on hold, the ticket was changed no charge
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:02 pm

I'm trying to change the middle segments of my ticket, LAX-JFK-LAX. I've already flown the SEL-TYO-LAX segments. I'm being told that I need to pay $3K additional fare to switch the dates (though no change fee), according to the rates desk. The same booking class is available for my new desired dates.

I looked up the fare rules from expertflyer (also listed in post 3 of this thread), and it seems as though all the Asia fares (unlike the Europe fares) don't have a clean "no reprice after first segment is flown" rule.

The fare rules include a statement saying that
"2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL
MUST BE DOMESTIC"

What is confusing is that this statement is included for BOTH the "use historical fare if first segment is flown" and for the "use current fare if ticket is unused."

If I'm reading this correctly, it means that you basically never get to use a historical fare on this ticket when switching flight dates, since the very last flight on this ticket is an international one (TYO-SEL).

I checked a Europe-USA AA F fare, and it does not include the "no intl coupons remain" language.

Is there something I'm missing? Or does this mean I have to try to get the NC EXP desk in order to change the flights? And what would be the best time of day to get that call center...?

I can book a separate ticket for my upcoming JFK trip, and travel on the original flight dates, but I would prefer to use it now.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by paynea
I'm trying to change the middle segments of my ticket, LAX-JFK-LAX. I've already flown the SEL-TYO-LAX segments. I'm being told that I need to pay $3K additional fare to switch the dates (though no change fee), according to the rates desk. The same booking class is available for my new desired dates.
HUCA and keep trying until you find a knowledgable agent, who could be located at any call center.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
HUCA and keep trying until you find a knowledgable agent, who could be located at any call center.
Okay, thanks, I will make more phone calls.

If I want to purchase a future "good deal" premium fare at the going market price (ex-CAI, etc), I would not book through AA based on my experience with this fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.