Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] JL/AA: SEL-NYC r/t in F as low as $2,800

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] JL/AA: SEL-NYC r/t in F as low as $2,800

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:26 am

hi, can someone help me understand AA's reservation change rules.

Why was changing this F in many cases won't resulting in repricing? Is this one an exception?

Because I am on another F fare, trying to change the date and preserving the routing, HUCA many time and no luck, always triggering reprice.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by longmanzz
hi, can someone help me understand AA's reservation change rules.

Why was changing this F in many cases won't resulting in repricing? Is this one an exception?

Because I am on another F fare, trying to change the date and preserving the routing, HUCA many time and no luck, always triggering reprice.
There are multiple fare classes for first class. Most first class tickets are discounted first class tickets, which don't allow for free changes or cancellations. This ticket is booked into a fare class which (should) allow for free changes and cancellations.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steveholt
This ticket is booked into a fare class which (should) allow for free changes and cancellations.
AA apparently decided that cancelling the tickets would have crossed the line, so they decided to do the next best thing... make life difficult for anyone wanting to make changes. They decided to (try to) change fare conditions after the fact. That is why many of us have experienced this...

Originally Posted by longmanzz
...trying to change the date and preserving the routing, HUCA many time and no luck, always triggering reprice.
Repricing is totally bogus and contrary to fare rules. AA is hoping that as many as possible don't know this, simply give up and/or cancel. Fortunately there are still enough good AAgents out there that will make the changes without a reprice as the fare rules clearly provide. For those with the will and patience, HUCA should eventually work, with either a good US or Korean agent.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA apparently decided that cancelling the tickets would have crossed the line, so they decided to do the next best thing... make life difficult for anyone wanting to make changes. They decided to (try to) change fare conditions after the fact. That is why many of us have experienced this...

Repricing is totally bogus and contrary to fare rules. AA is hoping that as many as possible don't know this, simply give up and/or cancel. Fortunately there are still enough good AAgents out there that will make the changes without a reprice as the fare rules clearly provide. For those with the will and patience, HUCA should eventually work, with either a good US or Korean agent.
Yea, I think this is what is happening for this fare. Have tried 2 times with US and once with KOR agents, all 3 times repricing and even downgrade to J. Hopefully will get one of those good agents soon.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
There are multiple fare classes for first class. Most first class tickets are discounted first class tickets, which don't allow for free changes or cancellations. This ticket is booked into a fare class which (should) allow for free changes and cancellations.
I should be more specific, the another reservation I m talking about is also full fare first (F fare, not just F cabin). It doesn't have any fee, but what I am concerning is the repricing that it triggers every time I wanted to make a change.

At the mean time, this SEL deal, also F fare, in many cases does not trigger repricing, so just wanted to know the reasons
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
They succeeded with me - I gave up after a while because I was afraid I would fly the first leg and then have them refuse to honor further changes.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Was able to make a couple changes on different tickets today.

1) Change departure time, same day, explat agent took care of it, didn't have to go to fare desk.
2) Change departure date to one day later, had to be on hold for 30 min, but they came back and changed it, with no fare difference.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by frebay
Was able to make a couple changes on different tickets today.

1) Change departure time, same day, explat agent took care of it, didn't have to go to fare desk.
2) Change departure date to one day later, had to be on hold for 30 min, but they came back and changed it, with no fare difference.
First segment flown on either tickets?
Old May 14, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by island82
First segment flown on either tickets?
yes, first segment flown.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
After flying outbound (SEL-NRT-LAX-PHX) i'm trying to change the date and add a stopover on my inbound fare.

no issues with the changes, beyond a major AA and JL schedule change , but i was quoted an additional $5,000 USD for the stopover in Japan because "it's more expensive to stop than to have a through flight" - per rate desk.

What's the best way to get the stopover to reprice free of charge?
Old May 16, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kreative03
After flying outbound (SEL-NRT-LAX-PHX) i'm trying to change the date and add a stopover on my inbound fare.

no issues with the changes, beyond a major AA and JL schedule change , but i was quoted an additional $5,000 USD for the stopover in Japan because "it's more expensive to stop than to have a through flight" - per rate desk.

What's the best way to get the stopover to reprice free of charge?
If HUCA does not work, then just leave as is and get off in Tokyo, and buy
a separate ticket NRT/HND-ICN/GMP.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:09 am

Read through all 400 plus posts on this thread and would appreciate any updated info.

Tried calling Ex platinum line based in NC to make changes to an ICN-NRT-JFK-NRT-ICN tix all on AA codes on J/F full fare codes on JL metal. A nice agent tried to help me to make changes to my departure date of first leg (before flying first leg), he asked rate desk and put me on hold for half an hour coming back saying the fare not available anymore and need to re price at current price or get full refund. I politely said thanks and hang up.

Questions:

1. Based on fare rule, technically, free changes should be allowed without reprice BEFORE flying first leg? Or only without reprice AFTER first leg?

2. Based on the the collective knowledge, seems Texas-based call center or Korean call center (press 1-1 to find an English speaking Korean agent) still possible to have the right agents that would have knowledge/patience to abide to the fare rule and make changes with no reprice, any recent experiences?

3. One of my JFK to NRT JL flight got switched to HND which causes impossible connection to the next connecting flight to Seoul, possible to use the "schedule change" excuse to change the dates of outbound flight without reprice?

Just want to get a sense of the above to see how many HUACA I can do before I give up and get full refund as departure date of first leg is June 1st.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by balloon1979
Read through all 400 plus posts on this thread and would appreciate any updated info.

Tried calling Ex platinum line based in NC to make changes to an ICN-NRT-JFK-NRT-ICN tix all on AA codes on J/F full fare codes on JL metal. A nice agent tried to help me to make changes to my departure date of first leg (before flying first leg), he asked rate desk and put me on hold for half an hour coming back saying the fare not available anymore and need to re price at current price or get full refund. I politely said thanks and hang up.

Questions:

1. Based on fare rule, technically, free changes should be allowed without reprice BEFORE flying first leg? Or only without reprice AFTER first leg?

2. Based on the the collective knowledge, seems Texas-based call center or Korean call center (press 1-1 to find an English speaking Korean agent) still possible to have the right agents that would have knowledge/patience to abide to the fare rule and make changes with no reprice, any recent experiences?

3. One of my JFK to NRT JL flight got switched to HND which causes impossible connection to the next connecting flight to Seoul, possible to use the "schedule change" excuse to change the dates of outbound flight without reprice?

Just want to get a sense of the above to see how many HUACA I can do before I give up and get full refund as departure date of first leg is June 1st.

Thanks!
While I'm sure there are more knowledgeable members who can confirm the info, from my own experience, and from reading other posts, flying the first leg makes it easier to change. I flew the first leg in December and have changed the dates of my LAX-JFK-LAX flights once, and the LAX-NRT-ICN flights once as well. Both times it was normal ExPlat desk.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I have not done date changes, but I did change the ICN-NRT-ICN legs to GMP-HND-GMP after the JL sked change.

Looking forward to flying the first legs later this week.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:55 pm

Called EXP line yesterday to change the return of my ticket (remaining segments are ORD-NRT-ICN). At first the agent claimed there was no F seats remaining on ORD-NRT and I gently challenged her, saying I was "seeing" 7 F seats and was she sure she was looking for F instead of A (I was using EF). Finally she said "oh yes there it is it was hiding from me." OK then! She tried to get me into J on AA instead (no thanks) and I was glad I was insistent with her.

Then she tried to reprice. She said the ticket was a discounted corporate ticket and the change fee was $538. I challenged her again, told her this was the return and not the first leg and therefore no re-price should apply. She finally agreed to put me on hold and go to the rate desk, and came back 15 minutes later and said the rate desk had agreed to re-issue at no additional cost.

Honestly I can't say if it was incompetence or malice on AA's part, but at least I got the changes I wanted and was entitled to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.