Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] FLR-HKG/ICN/NRT-DUS from 770€ / J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Unofficial cancellation statement from Alitalia: see post #2414, or the original post in Italian on a similar Italian forum

COW8C fare rules available in post #147 (second box)
DOW8C fare rules available in post #150
IOWGE fare rules available in post #1241
IRTGE fare rules available in post #1555
CRTEU fare rules available in post #1589
DOWGE fare rules available in post #1601
IRT8C2 fare rules available in post #2105
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] FLR-HKG/ICN/NRT-DUS from 770€ / J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:32 am

and you are lucky because you are calling from abroad, from Italy it would be much more expensive. If you'll be on phone for 10 mins it will cost you about 20€ from landline, 30€ from mobile...probably they will put your call in queue for 20 minutes and you will easily spend 100€ to get this reply after half an hour "sorry Sir, we cannot help you, please contact the Airline..."
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by seris7
and you are lucky because you are calling from abroad, from Italy it would be much more expensive. If you'll be on phone for 10 mins it will cost you about 20€ from landline, 30€ from mobile...probably they will put your call in queue for 20 minutes and you will easily spend 100€ to get this reply after half an hour "sorry Sir, we cannot help you, please contact the Airline..."
That's ridiculous. The fact that business practices like this are allowed reflects poorly on Italy as an entire country.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:46 am

As an Italian I completely agree with you. Even worse is that that operator will probably receive a salary of € 450,00/month...
OT sorry...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by tokyonson
Are you guys sure that it's clever to not pro-actively cancel?
It looks like Alitalia is taking over the tickets from OTAs which means that they are in control of when to send the money back.

Given their recent liquidity problems and a financial situation close to bankruptcy I guess they will try to stretch the time until they pay you back to the maximum. Worst case: they go bust and you never see the money.

What they do right now is pretty smart:
Cancel all bookings that are SkyTeam, leave the *A and OW legs in the booking to hurt the competing alliance. Take over the booking so that OTAs can't cancel and they are in control of the liquidity.

They are hurting the competition, hurting error fare customers by taking their money and secure their own financial situation. That's how you make a bad situation to work in your favour, pretty impressive.
better to be lucky than good...
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:55 am

what if the modified itinerary actually works fine for someone, is it possible to fly it?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:59 am

5/2x from FLR(AZ+OZ), 10/0x to DUS (NH)

full route: FLR-(AZ)-FCO-(AZ)-ICN-(OZ)-TPE-(NH)-TSA-(NH)-HND-NRT-(NH)-DUS
had been re-routed to FLR-(AZ)-DUS and remains NH segments few minutes ago

OTA: expedia
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:59 am

Does anybody now if they are still working on May?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Pawel Siewko
23 May FLR-CDG-SFO Air France gone
25 MAY SFO-HKG-BNE-HKG-DUS still exist on CX
But CX also says:

I nostri dati riportano che non è stato emesso un biglietto per la tua prenotazione. Ti preghiamo di contattare la tua agenzia di viaggio per emettere il tuo biglietto, altrimenti la tua prenotazione non sarà valida e verrà automaticamente cancellata senza preavviso.
se hai già emesso il tuo e-ticket, ti preghiamo di ignorare questo messaggio.
A ticket has not be issued. Reservation will be automatically cancelled.
As said many times in this thread, the hanging legs will die of a slow and painful death.

Move on.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:02 am

hurting error fare customers by taking their money
That is, by far, the most laughable thing I've heard this year. EF customers just doesn't stack up - and I'm one of those who's taken advantage of those fares, yet I do accept that things could go wrong and, while getting my credit card out for a ~2k transaction, I was perfectly aware of any potentially treacherous scenario.

G
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by izzik
Precedent was set years ago. Alitalia is not the first airline to disrupt an error fare like that. Do a search on here.. plenty of error fares have occurred where the airline simply modified/canceled tickets. You bought a ticket from A to B and they rebooked you on the most direct option. It's difficult to argue against that in good faith. It's just part of the game.

Blaming the airline is kind of silly.. we all knew Alitalia has 3rd world operations/CS.
Well, you logic is faulty here. The fare was FLR-DUS, but it allowed for any routing and I booked FLR-xxx/stopover for almost two weeks/xxx-DUS which means that my contract was to fly A-B, B-C and not A-C. The screwup on AZ's part here is that they rerouted med A-C instead of simply cancelling my ticket.

Originally Posted by izzik
This was an error fare. There is no question about that part. In your example, if you booked your multi-city trip and the fare was not an error, you could challenge the airline to provide a reason. If they do not agree with you, then you would cancel/refund and rebook with another airline.

I'm not saying the airline is always right. But you can't ignore the facts in this situation.. pretending that you were unaware of the error fare and comparing to any other multi-city booking is not realistic. How often has the airline arbitrarily rerouted your multi-city itinerary in the past (when there was no error fare involved)?
The problem is that this is no different from BA changing the fare rules of my next trip with them and then modifying my existing ticket to comply with the new rules as they see fit. That is not how this works. The ticket number issued forms a contract over a certain set of fare rules and routings and AZ decided that they should change the terms instead of simply saying they want to cancel the contract. Changing the terms causes a lot more grief for everyone than just saying "We co*ked up and we need to go back and cancel this".

Originally Posted by Jermyn
I flew 6 Vikings and also got in on the '*A Viking' last year.
I was pretty sick of Viking when I flew the last of my tickets in May, but oh boy, do I miss it now. I think I had 7 trips on it.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by seris7
As an Italian I completely agree with you. Even worse is that that operator will probably receive a salary of € 450,00/month...
OT sorry...
Yup. CC was charged the 6 Euros to call Opodo, yet nobody picked up, and all the prompts were in Italian. I'll have to try to chargeback this OTA fee as well.

If anything, the upside to this fare is that it gives everyone a taste of Alitalia and doing business in Italy.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, SK *G, EY Gold
Originally Posted by falex
Does anybody now if they are still working on May?
I was due to fly in May; as of 30 minutes ago, my Alitalia PNR can no longer be found on their website.

Last edited by colomboplan; Dec 16, 2016 at 2:25 am
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:13 am

Are you guys sure that it's clever to not pro-actively cancel?
It looks like Alitalia is taking over the tickets from OTAs which means that they are in control of when to send the money back.

Given their recent liquidity problems and a financial situation close to bankruptcy I guess they will try to stretch the time until they pay you back to the maximum. Worst case: they go bust and you never see the money.

What they do right now is pretty smart:
Cancel all bookings that are SkyTeam, leave the *A and OW legs in the booking to hurt the competing alliance. Take over the booking so that OTAs can't cancel and they are in control of the liquidity.

They are hurting the competition, hurting error fare customers by taking their money and secure their own financial situation. That's how you make a bad situation to work in your favour, pretty impressive.
Sorry to differ but you might want to check facts before jumping to conclusions, especially when such conclusions could be very worrying to non-experienced members.

1. When a carrier wants to force certain things, taking control over the ticket is the most convenient way to do so. This might not always be compliant with certain IATA standards but it does happen. Much easier for AZ to force reroutings etc when they overrule the OTA.

2. They only cancel their own PNR's because that's far easier than to cancel other carrier's PNR's. I might be wrong but based on my own tickets it seems at least that only PNR's for AZ marketed flights are affected with the exception of the AZ marketed, EY operated segments. I assume that this is mainly due to the fact that they need some kind of cooperation from EY but I am not sure. Anyway, the modus operandi is to cancel AZ PNR and based on that cancellation exchange/reissue the ticket with a PNR (for an AZ FLR-DUS or vv). This exchange causes the invalidity of the original ticket that is still attached to the other PNR's (CX for instance). Result: the other PNR is orphaned due to the lack of a valid underlying eticket.

3. If the tix would be honored as booked, AZ will be the one paying the applicable fare for flights on other carriers, based on their mutual specific pricing agreements.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by agehall
The problem is that this is no different from BA changing the fare rules of my next trip with them and then modifying my existing ticket to comply with the new rules as they see fit. That is not how this works. The ticket number issued forms a contract over a certain set of fare rules and routings and AZ decided that they should change the terms instead of simply saying they want to cancel the contract. Changing the terms causes a lot more grief for everyone than just saying "We co*ked up and we need to go back and cancel this".
Agreed - it would have been so much easier to cancel, and it would have certainly caused less grief around (not to mention less work for the airline itself).

G
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
That's ridiculous. The fact that business practices like this are allowed reflects poorly on Italy as an entire country.
[OT] I do not live in Italy but, trust me, there are worse things which could reflect poorly on an entire country, even though I appreciate that, living in the US, you are probably more sensitive to badly reflecting factors, especially in the last few months [/OT and with all due respect]

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.