Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: there is not much time left in 2017, given that travel tends to be expensive around holidays. You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary
Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by pouls29
Sorry for the newb question, but what does "MR" stand for?
Mileage Run
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by dtravelers
Departure Airport: SLC
Miles Needed: 9,244 MQM's on Delta
Required Spend or Budget: $1200 Ideally
Available Travel Dates: Weekends are best, but can be flexible early November, late November, early December.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Yes - Need MQM's on Delta.
SLC - NRT NOV 29 - Dec 3 for $702
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:26 am

DL from ATL Need MQMs

Departure Airport: ATL
Miles Needed: 12k MQMs
Required Spend or Budget:<$750
Available Travel Dates: now through end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Whatever will allow me to earn MQMs
Delta Platinum Medallion trying to keep Platinum

Haven't figured out how to do this domestically, but I've seen some creativity on this site.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by ChaDad

Haven't figured out how to do this domestically, but I've seen some creativity on this site.
How about a MR to Kona (KOA)? Various dates with prices around $650. Will get you about 10,000 miles depending on routing. You can add a shorter flight somewhere to get the remaining 2000 miles.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

Very difficult to get 12k MQM from domestic alone on that budget during the holiday season.

A quick search gets me is 12/6-12-10 ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-ATL with one stop for $786 and ~20k MQM. https://goo.gl/flights/tr4F5

Fits your budget, and gives you some extra 8k rollover MQM for next year. You might be able to clear an upgrade for that DTW-ATL leg.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Very difficult to get 12k MQM from domestic alone on that budget during the holiday season.

A quick search gets me is 12/6-12-10 ATL-NRT-SIN-NRT-DTW-ATL with one stop for $786 and ~20k MQM.

Fits your budget, and gives you some extra 8k rollover MQM for next year. You might be able to clear an upgrade for that DTW-ATL leg.

Thank you. That's a good price. I should have also mentioned that I work weekly in Tampa, so I ended up searching for flights that would leave TPA or MCO on a Thursday night or Friday morning and found a Thurs-Sun MCO-ATL-PVG-ATL-MCO for $685 and 16500 MQMs. Not sure that I'm going to do much better than that!!! Though it will require me to spend the night in the Shanghai airport (arriving at 7 pm on Saturday and leaving at 12 pm on Sunday) since I want to avoid the cost of the travel visa.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Thank you. That's a good price. I should have also mentioned that I work weekly in Tampa, so I ended up searching for flights that would leave TPA or MCO on a Thursday night or Friday morning and found a Thurs-Sun MCO-ATL-PVG-ATL-MCO for $685 and 16500 MQMs. Not sure that I'm going to do much better than that!!! Though it will require me to spend the night in the Shanghai airport (arriving at 7 pm on Saturday and leaving at 12 pm on Sunday) since I want to avoid the cost of the travel visa.
yes, for your future reference, there are not many good deals/bargains out of ATL on DL, so having another departure airport that you can use for free is an important tool.
ChaDad likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:15 am

Now I know.

Thoughts on abandoning the last leg of the itinerary and getting off in Atlanta? I know that there are 'concerns' that it may put my status/miles on DL in jeopardy, and I guess I'm willing to complete the routing to Orlando if necessary, but I'd rather not.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Now I know.

Thoughts on abandoning the last leg of the itinerary and getting off in Atlanta? I know that there are 'concerns' that it may put my status/miles on DL in jeopardy, and I guess I'm willing to complete the routing to Orlando if necessary, but I'd rather not.
I've done it a few times and know people who also have. Never a problem. I read that if one ever gets busted, one can claim sudden illness. And then probably never do it again. But it seems a few times won't trigger anything.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
... Though it will require me to spend the night in the Shanghai airport (arriving at 7 pm on Saturday and leaving at 12 pm on Sunday) since I want to avoid the cost of the travel visa.
For your time in the Shanghai airport, this could be helpful:

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/shanghai.htm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, Marriott Elite Plat
FLL Looking for MQD Help!

Hi all, Newb here..any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Departure Airport: FLL or MIA
Miles Needed: 0, but happy to rollover to 2019
Required Spend or Budget: Whatever it takes to get $900 MQDs
Available Travel Dates: Oct and first week of Nov
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Whatever will allow me to earn MQDs
Trying to keep Diamond status
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
NO.

A US-China-US itinerary requires US passport holders to have a Chinese VISA. TWOV only works for CountryA-China-CountryB itineraries. You cannot "just stay in the airport". You will not be allowed to board your first flight if you do not have an itinerary that complies with the rules.

Please carefully review the wiki at the beginning of this extensive thread on TWOV:
China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
NO.

A US-China-US itinerary requires US passport holders to have a Chinese VISA. TWOV only works for CountryA-China-CountryB itineraries. You cannot "just stay in the airport". You will not be allowed to board your first flight if you do not have an itinerary that complies with the rules.

Please carefully review the wiki at the beginning of this extensive thread on TWOV:

Are you sure? Have I misread the following?

NOTE 2: Effective February 2018, 24 hour TWOV involving travel through Shanghai may be subject to restriction. The rules are not clear and you should check the last few posts/pages of this thread for the latest information.

Update March 2018: TWOV is still operational in Shanghai however new rules are supposedly in operation - at least at PVG - limiting the ability for passengers to enter China and leave the airport. Passengers with: (1) short stays (under four hours), (2) same-day transfers (more than four hours, but with an onward flight on the same day as arriving), (3) a transit within 24 hours but without confirmed hotel accommodation, and/or (4) who do not need to collect bags and recheck for their onward flight may all be affected. Passengers in any one of these categories may be directed to the transfer line with direct air-side transfer (not allowed to enter China/leave the airport).

I appreciate the help.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Are you sure? Have I misread the following?

NOTE 2: Effective February 2018, 24 hour TWOV involving travel through Shanghai may be subject to restriction. The rules are not clear and you should check the last few posts/pages of this thread for the latest information.

Update March 2018: TWOV is still operational in Shanghai however new rules are supposedly in operation - at least at PVG - limiting the ability for passengers to enter China and leave the airport. Passengers with: (1) short stays (under four hours), (2) same-day transfers (more than four hours, but with an onward flight on the same day as arriving), (3) a transit within 24 hours but without confirmed hotel accommodation, and/or (4) who do not need to collect bags and recheck for their onward flight may all be affected. Passengers in any one of these categories may be directed to the transfer line with direct air-side transfer (not allowed to enter China/leave the airport).

I appreciate the help.
TWOV is a Transit from Country A - China - Country B. Your proposed ATL-PVG-ATL itinerary does not qualify for TWOV because Country A must be a different country than Country B in order to use TWOV.

Quoting from TIMATIC:
Nationals of USA with a confirmed onward air, cruise or train ticket to a third country within 144 hours, starting from 00:01 on the day following the day of entry. They must:
- arrive at and depart from one of the following locations: Hangzhou (HGH), Nanjing (NKG), Shanghai: Hongqiao (SHA) and Pudong (PVG), Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou (Baoshan) International Cruise Terminal or Shanghai Railway Station; and
- have documents required for the next destination.
This TWOV facility does not apply when passengers arrive on a direct flight from USA, Guam or Northern Mariana Isl. AND depart on a direct flight to USA, Guam or Northern Mariana Isl..

Last edited by mnbp; Oct 10, 2018 at 2:41 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
TWOV is a Transit from Country A - China - Country B. Your proposed ATL-PVG-ATL itinerary does not qualify for TWOV because Country A must be a different country than Country B in order to use TWOV.

Quoting from TIMATIC:

I understand that my route doesn't qualify for TWOV, but I thought it would be allowed to not leave the airport as per the bolded portion above. If I'm wrong, it's much better to find out now, so thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.