Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by plbonilla
First time poster here looking to get EXP for the first time. Curious what is out there to try and get bumped up.

Departure Airport(s): LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: ~20,000 EQM
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: < $1K
Available Travel Dates: now to 12/23/2018
Max # Travel Nights: Short as possible
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N) - N
Pack your bags! You can leave this week and for barely a breath over your max spend @ $1009, you can knock out your EQM requirement by purchasing a quick trip to HKG such as here: https://goo.gl/8BKR3s. GCMAP says it's 14,553 miles. Be aware that the NRT-HKG leg is in Y but coded as AA so you'll get 1 EQM for each mile flown for that leg and 1.5 for the rest which gets you 20,909 by my calculations. You can catch a ferry over to Macau, catch a few rounds of black jack to earn your $1k back, and head back home.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tpalermo
Hi all - brand new, but very motivated to reach Executive Platinum this year - but based on bookings through 12/21, i'll be 3050 EQMs short. EQDs should be covered. Here's teh details:

Departure Airport(s): PHL preferably
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,050 EQMs
EQDs Needed: none
Max Budget: $400-500
Available Travel Dates: 12/27-12/31 (unless a return on 1/1/2019 still adds 2018 EQMs, which i don't think is possible)
Max # Travel Nights: 1-3
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
you are correct, flights in 2019 will not count towards 2018 status pursuit.
Check out https://goo.gl/UbsGsJ, PHL-DEN-PHL which will net you 3,115 miles (tranlates to EQMs) for $453. You're going up a mile!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Akisma
Hi all.

Done some looking around. I can make this happen for $1300 at the cheapest. Anyone know of any way to make it cheaper?

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 12,500 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: < 1300
Available Travel Dates: any time 12/7 - 12/22, pref not all of it
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: not sure?
Current status: Gold
you didn't include whether you have a Chinese visa.
There's a lot of ways to get 12,500 EQMs. The easiest of which is to China. I found CGK, BKK, PEK, PVG, and several others for as much as 40% less than that. LAX-BKK, for example, I've seen as low as $498 though that requires 4 nights in BKK. You should easily be able to hit this target with a trip to virtually any part of SE Asia and well under your budget.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:57 pm

Wow! I'm going to try to book that AAV I think -thank you so much!
Whodunit68 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mklopez
New member here! Coming up short on EQMs. I found a routing SFO-PHX-SEA and back on 12/7 - 12/8 in first class for $445 that earns 7028 EQMs and 374 EQDs but I'm wondering if there's a way to do it cheaper, or all on the same day.

Departure Airport(s): SJC, SFO, OAK (OAK is less ideal than the other two)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 6252
EQDs Needed: 60
Max Budget: $450
Available Travel Dates: 12/7-12/19
Max # Travel Nights: Overnight is OK, ideally only one night though
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever works
Right now, I'm seeing same-day SFO-SEA in F for $410. It's through LAX on the way back, but that should still get you over the hump, assuming you get the 500-mile minimum for LAX-SFO.
https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...975*.USD.40975
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Getting close to re-qualifying for EXP, looking for suggestions to cross the finish line

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: ~7500-8000 EQM
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: Would love to keep under $1000, not sure if this will be possible
Available Travel Dates: Weekends until Xmas, any day 12/22-31
Max # Travel Nights: Ideal case would not leave airport, but one hotel night if needed
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners Okay
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:40 am

Oops - forgot. I do not have a chinese visa, and I also need 1500 EQD.

EQD Needed: 1500
Chinese visa: No
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:01 am

Nvm. Deleted.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Whodunit68: Re: PHL need for EQMs -
I booked exactly the trip you linked to, for exactly that price! You're amazing - thank you!!!
Whodunit68 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Tpalermo
Whodunit68: Re: PHL need for EQMs -
I booked exactly the trip you linked to, for exactly that price! You're amazing - thank you!!!
You’re very welcome. Have a great trip.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:32 pm

Sorry, about earlier. You could do an AAV package to BKK for $610 in economy, which will net at least 16,000 EQMs and 1600 EQDs (given that the new special fares chart doesn't kick in until January 1). This should credit as a special fare, but be sure when booking that there is an * next to the fare. Depart midday 12/7, arrive back midday 12/10 (with 24 hours in BKK).
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by stewlevine
Getting close to re-qualifying for EXP, looking for suggestions to cross the finish line

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: ~7500-8000 EQM
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: Would love to keep under $1000, not sure if this will be possible
Available Travel Dates: Weekends until Xmas, any day 12/22-31
Max # Travel Nights: Ideal case would not leave airport, but one hotel night if needed
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners Okay
DFW-SAN-LAX-LIH-LAX-SFO-DFW for $814. With the 500-mile minimums, it should be around 8800 EQMs. You leave Saturday at noon and arrive back at DFW on Sunday afternoon. A short 90 minute turnaround in Kauai.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: AA exec plat
Help with 14K EQM to keep EP for one more year

Hi,

First time to try a mile run, as I’ve made an EP on AA for the last 6 years... Trying to decide if it’s worth to do a run, or buy-up the AA offer for $2,500. Am 14K EQM shy of EP.

Am willing to use miles/systemwides to upgrade from cheaper fare. Would rather not fly long-haul in coach

Departure Airport(s): LAX, or other LA area airports
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM - 14,000
Max Budget: as cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: open, prefer weekends. Open last two weeks of December
Max # Travel Nights: as few as possible
AA only, or Partners Okay: both
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): yes

Please help!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Marinak
Hi,

First time to try a mile run, as I’ve made an EP on AA for the last 6 years... Trying to decide if it’s worth to do a run, or buy-up the AA offer for $2,500. Am 14K EQM shy of EP.

Am willing to use miles/systemwides to upgrade from cheaper fare. Would rather not fly long-haul in coach

Departure Airport(s): LAX, or other LA area airports
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM - 14,000
Max Budget: as cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: open, prefer weekends. Open last two weeks of December
Max # Travel Nights: as few as possible
AA only, or Partners Okay: both
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): yes

Please help!
Look at the trip above from flyingelph. By my calculations (you should check my math). $610 is better than $2500! 😂

Last edited by Whodunit68; Nov 24, 2018 at 6:47 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: MH, CX Marco Polo Silver
Need some help

Please remove, have made other arrangement

Last edited by allanyong; Nov 21, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.