Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you explain our hobby to family/friends?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond

Since I started mileage running this year, some people look at me like I have three eyes when I tell them what I'm doing this weekend or that I'm going to Panama X times in X months. I don't really care what acquaintances think, and friends just shake their head but they knew I traveled a lot anyway even before I started running so they at least understand kind of why I do it.

But recently my new boss asked me what I'm doing this holiday weekend and I told him I'm making a quick trip to Panama (I forgot I told him that I was in Panama a month ago) and he asked why I'm going again. So I told him I'm doing it to get miles. He seemed interested and I explained it to him but some coworker friends (in a different group) later told me that he may think I have too much time and money on my hands or subconsciously think in his mind that I'm always on vacation (even though I'm not taking vacation on most of the trips).

I think they do have a point so I'll be more careful about sharing my hobby and all my premium cabin flying in the workplace.

Just wanted to see how you all explain your hobby to those around you? Or maybe you don't even mention it. I don't like to lie but I guess I could have just answered my boss that I'll be just hanging around this weekend. Not mentioning that I'll be hanging around in planes and airports.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
Since I started mileage running this year, some people look at me like I have three eyes when I tell them what I'm doing this weekend or that I'm going to Panama X times in X months. I don't really care what acquaintances think, and friends just shake their head but they knew I traveled a lot anyway even before I started running so they at least understand kind of why I do it.

But recently my new boss asked me what I'm doing this holiday weekend and I told him I'm making a quick trip to Panama (I forgot I told him that I was in Panama a month ago) and he asked why I'm going again. So I told him I'm doing it to get miles. He seemed interested and I explained it to him but some coworker friends (in a different group) later told me that he may think I have too much time and money on my hands or subconsciously think in his mind that I'm always on vacation (even though I'm not taking vacation on most of the trips).

I think they do have a point so I'll be more careful about sharing my hobby and all my premium cabin flying in the workplace.

Just wanted to see how you all explain your hobby to those around you? Or maybe you don't even mention it. I don't like to lie but I guess I could have just answered my boss that I'll be just hanging around this weekend. Not mentioning that I'll be hanging around in planes and airports.
I tell my friends and coworkers. They might mention I'm "crazy", but frankly I don't care that much. It doesn't effect my work - in some cases it can enhance it given GoGo wifi and downtime waiting for connections in Skyclubs. It's my damn money and I'll spend it how I want :-)

Of course, I've noticed that their tune changes when I tell them about voluntary bumps, how I get upgraded to business/first class often, and how I can afford to see my family in far away places regularly.

It's just a hobby and I like to travel and meet new people. Some folks spend $2k on game systems, golf clubs and course fees, or on their kids' travel softball. We like to get on planes and fly! Hey, it sure as hell beats cosplay....

Last edited by TYSDoc; Jul 1, 2016 at 3:13 pm Reason: Adding snark! ;-)
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Another one of these threads?

I just tell them the juice is worth the squeeze
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by Madone59

Haha true, true.

I stopped the "immediate turn" MR two years ago. So, I'll still go to TLV for 2 days (IDF/Airport Security did not approve), BKK for 1 day last year, PVG for 3 days, etc.

This September, I'll be doing EWR-NRT-BKK-NRT- (8hours) - EWR. Renting my dream car and cruising the highway all morning is the "to-do" on the itinerary.

I say, "Oh I'm going for a day to drive a Skyline!" And they usually just shake their head.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59

lol
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:41 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
I travel often for work, so most of my friends and family just think its another work trip. I haven't and very likely will never correct their thinking.
On the other hand, my immediate coworkers know my travel schedule, so I can't fool them. But then again most of them are crazier runners than I. Plus there's $5000 Mexican pesos on the line for who flies most miles outside of work assignments.
Safe travels FTs
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just say "Flyertalk reasons". Everyone in my life knows how important this website is to me. So when I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express RDU for $59 to earn points for one of their promos and my friends say why I say "Flyertalk reasons". It's usually enough for them.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
for the family just let them taste some amazing business class trip for really cheap, or some nice hotel for free. That's enough to convince them.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Raul2014
for the family just let them taste some amazing business class trip for really cheap, or some nice hotel for free. That's enough to convince them.
Agreed. The look on my gf's face when we flew first class to Jburg was priceless. As someone who was once afraid of flying she couldn't stop smiling the whole flight. She no longer questions my crazy trips
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I tell them I enjoy the quiet of being in the sky and relaxing (unless there is a screaming baby onboard)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.