Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREMIUM FARE GONE] Ethiopian Airlines-Brussel to CPT (r/t) in J on 787 for €530 in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Palal
Brief History

On 6 January, a fare appeared for a few hours on Ethiopian Airlines (ET) and online travel agencies (OTAs) offering BRU-ADD-(GBE)-CPT r/t in fully refundable business (C-Class) for 530€.

Several days later, many members got e-mails stating that they "actually booked economy tickets" and were downgraded from fare basis CRTBE (fully refundable business) to TLES6MBE (economy). Some who booked through OTAs have yet to receive this downgrade, and some have been downgraded with no notification from OTAs.

Several people have also successfully flown already.

Next Steps
1. It's (now) safe to call/email the airline.
2. It seems 2 options are given: travel in economy, or full refund.
--> those who have chosen a refund have mostly gotten it promptly.
--> those who have contested the e-mail have not received any type of response.
--> other options were presented here, although others have not seem to replicated the result.
3. Contacting any Ethiopian offices (London, Vienna, etc.) have resulted in being redirected to the Ethiopian Brussels office.
4. For those who plan to fight it, see below. Note that no one has had a successful outcome yet.
5. Update: Some users are reporting getting the offer of 75% refunds to travel in economy as per EC 261.

Avenues of contest:
1. Try Art. 10 (2) lit. c of the Flight Delay Compensation Regulation 261/2004. It may be possible to get up to 75% of the ticket price back, although this is unconfirmed and debatable.
2. Befriend a Belgian lawyer with a penchant for pro bono work Kidding aside, it is not wise to go the legal route.

Code:
Article 10: Upgrading and downgrading

1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request

any supplementary payment.

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within

seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse

(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or

(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the

European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500

kilometres, or

(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the

Member States and the French overseas departments.
You should email the Belgian enforcement body at: [email protected]
In the email state your name, eticket, travel date, attach ticket receipt.
State that your ticket has been purchased and issued in business class and that the airline is offering to either cancel or downgrade without compensation. Politely ask for their help in enforcing EU Reg 261/2004 Art.10 2(c).

Planned Trips:

early February OwlMan

early April mattking2000
March-End Culture Guru
late April Palal
Further/concurrent reading (for the German-inclined):
http://www.vielfliegertreff.de/first-business-class-tarife/91159-et-bru-cpt-524-euro.html
Print Wikipost

[PREMIUM FARE GONE] Ethiopian Airlines-Brussel to CPT (r/t) in J on 787 for €530 in J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by tymoon25
Kudos @ Sven for being able to fly this !

I know it is best to book for a flight as close as possible to the date of the sale but this is also something my boss does not really like... I have flexibility but not to that point. I guess I'll apply this when I am retired (in a zillion years )

My booking has also now been proactively downgraded to Y. Given their bad administration, I still had a small hope that my booking would slip through the cracks and I would be able to fly this but no... No communication from the big O. Time to message them I guess, there is of course no way I want to fly this in Y on a basically non-earning fare for €540.

O ended up giving me a $75 travel voucher. I called and politely inquired why my flight had been changed, a supervisor contacted ET with me on hold ( 1.5 hrs...)

ET told big O what they have been telling others, wrong fare was loaded, and I could fly it in Econ or just cancel for full refund. I explained to O it seems odd that I bought a available fair and a week later they changed it on me. They were very sympathetic but could not do anything besides canceling it for me. They suggested I email ET customer service if I wanted to make further inquires.

Ended up canceling and grabbing a QR flight but at least O hooked me up for the inconvenience. ^
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sexten
The point is, it's almost like a game, and it is very exciting to play! Sometimes you win the jackpot, and sometimes you don't win (you never LOSE). So getting upset at the airlines afterwards, calling them husslers and what not is just silly and makes us all look like spoiled brats.
Very well put. ^
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by jvde
I just noticed my booking changed to economy.

No word from ET though or Tripsta OTA for that matter. They just changed it. I guess an email will be sent out soon with a choice for a refund I hope? Anybody else that booked through Tripsta?
Same here - I've been "downgraded" to Economy but no word from Tripsta - I will log and enquiry with them now
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Ryanair Platinum
Originally Posted by altelstar
Same here - I've been "downgraded" to Economy but no word from Tripsta - I will log and enquiry with them now
Keep me posted!

According to my phone call with the tripsta CS agent they can't do a refund because apparently ET has removed the access for OTA's to those edited tickets. I contacted ET CS and they asked me for an email which I did. I got a feeling this might not be an easy refund to get.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, *A Gold
Originally Posted by wwwx
@SvenLuckermans When your fare code changed back to CRTBE were you still in 'Economy' according to the 'manage my booking' tool and was nevertheless able to pick C seats checking-in?

I'm asking because some of us were downgraded with the fare code remaining CRTBE.
it showed as business
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, AZ Freccia Alata, AB Gold
Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:40 am

Keep me posted!

According to my phone call with the tripsta CS agent they can't do a refund because apparently ET has removed the access for OTA's to those edited tickets. I contacted ET CS and they asked me for an email which I did. I got a feeling this might not be an easy refund to get.
Tripsta replies:
"We would like to inform you that the changes you mention were made from the airline. Also note that the airline took the control of the tickets.

For more information you need to contact directly with the airline since we are not anymore authorized from the airline. "

Now I contacted Ethiopian to obtain a refund.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Ryanair Platinum
Tripsta replies:
"We would like to inform you that the changes you mention were made from the airline. Also note that the airline took the control of the tickets.

For more information you need to contact directly with the airline since we are not anymore authorized from the airline. "

Now I contacted Ethiopian to obtain a refund.
I got the same reply and contacted ET Belgium, too.

Which email address did you contact or did you call?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:46 am

I got the same reply and contacted ET Belgium, too.

Which email address did you contact or did you call?
I've emailed their customer relationships ([email protected])

I received an auto-reply saying they will reply within 10 days...

I live in London - if they do not reply, I will go directly to their office in London.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:34 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I live in London - if they do not reply, I will go directly to their office in London.
Already tried this, they will take your information down and pass it to the Ethiopian ticket handlers in Brussels. But once there, nothing will come of it.

Posters on VFT seem to be of the opinion that:
1. Cancelers will receive quick replies. Fight-backs will not elicit any response.
2. Systematically going through OTA bookings (opodo seems first, followed by some others like Urlaubspiraten and Tripsta, and some have not even cancelled yet)
3. OTA bookings that have been travelled before being downgraded have been travelled successfully, with points posting to FF programs (LH M&M for instance).
4. One poor soul was already in CPT when his inbound booked through OTA was converted to Y (scary thought as essentially trapped there with no recourse for EC261 as they are not an EU carrier nor is CPT in the EU). --> have not seen a follow up to this story yet.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mattking2000
4. One poor soul was already in CPT when his inbound booked through OTA was converted to Y (scary thought as essentially trapped there with no recourse for EC261 as they are not an EU carrier nor is CPT in the EU). --> have not seen a follow up to this story yet.
Ouch
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:04 pm

Already tried this, they will take your information down and pass it to the Ethiopian ticket handlers in Brussels. But once there, nothing will come of it.

Posters on VFT seem to be of the opinion that:
1. Cancelers will receive quick replies. Fight-backs will not elicit any response.
2. Systematically going through OTA bookings (opodo seems first, followed by some others like Urlaubspiraten and Tripsta, and some have not even cancelled yet)
3. OTA bookings that have been travelled before being downgraded have been travelled successfully, with points posting to FF programs (LH M&M for instance).
so any suggestions on what to do next?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
4. One poor soul was already in CPT when his inbound booked through OTA was converted to Y (scary thought as essentially trapped there with no recourse for EC261 ..)
Originally Posted by mlqsko
Ouch
Oh come on! Quit the dramatics

Flying in economy-class may not be fun, but it represents the only travel opportunity the vast majority of travellers face: and most of us manage to shrug off any discomfort. Not exactly a tragedy.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Oh come on! Quit the dramatics

Flying in economy-class may not be fun, but it represents the only travel opportunity the vast majority of travellers face: and most of us manage to shrug off any discomfort. Not exactly a tragedy.
Go tell that to my spoiled wife...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Originally Posted by ehud
I'm Late Feb..
No one is flying this late jan, or early feb?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.