AA: Segment Runs

Old Dec 30, 15, 11:22 am
Original Poster

AA: Segment Runs

Do a lot of small regional trips, so sadly when I see a CR-9 I get excited haha

currently Plat and did 80 segments through 9 months LY. (new job) Looking to make a run at EXP in 2016. Was wondering if anyone has any good segment runs they do?

I'm out of CVG. Looks like I can do some same day turns to multiple cities for about $140-$150, giving me a per segment cost of about $37. Which total cost to EXP would be $4450. Granted probably 70% of my travel will be for work, so personally I would not be on the hook for all of it.

Any help/thoughts on segment runs....Would obviously be nice to do a couple long MR's, but all of my corporate travel is segments, so want to pick one method of qualifying and stick to it.

Thanks
Old Dec 30, 15, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Check out the MR deals postings. There's a good AA deal for ORD-PEK right now if you're looking for a long run.
Old Dec 30, 15, 11:54 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I used to qualify on segments and found it was more of a game of inches than miles are. Finding a way to add 1 segment a week or 2 a month will take a big dent out of what you need.

When you can take an extra stop, or SCD into an extra stop. From my experience i'd advise the extra segment on the way from a meeting not to it

Good luck.
Old Dec 30, 15, 1:10 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 16 at 11:30 pm
Old Dec 30, 15, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA: Plat HH:Gold
Originally Posted by Geauxtigers View Post
Sat Jan 23 or 30, Feb 6, 13, 20, 27 books as CVG-PHL

Example for Jan 23: CVG-DCA-RDU-PHL-CLT-CVG

$151/ 5 segments/ $30.2 per segment

Strategy is to look for flights to the hubs for you as likely the connections will be priced cheaper than the nonstops

Thanks! thats pretty good for a day trip ^^
Old Dec 30, 15, 1:56 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
If you have a particular trip planned and know origin, destination, and dates, ITA Matrix is pretty good about finding multi-hop routings. You can use "AA AA AA" in the advanced routing codes to look for 3 segment itins on AA.
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HGH Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis PP.
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
If you have a particular trip planned and know origin, destination, and dates, ITA Matrix is pretty good about finding multi-hop routings. You can use "AA AA AA" in the advanced routing codes to look for 3 segment itins on AA.
Really good advice. I didn't think about that. Once you find routes on the Matrix, how do you usually book them?
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SPG/Marriott/HHonors Gold, *A Gold (SAS EuroBonus)
Nice - just found a six segment same day turnaround run out of DCA on 1/23 for $194. $32.34 per segment. DCA-PHL-CLT-TPA-CLT-PHL-DCA.

All relatively short flights so could probably get a free 500 mile upgrade on at least a couple of them with my Gold status.

I just got the Citi Exec card though which gives 10k EQMs so maybe sticking with miles is my best route to requalify for Gold or shoot for Plat this year. Planning a trip to South America this summer that'll be about 12k EQMs R/T so that plus spending 40k on the Citi Exec should get me most of the way back to Gold for next year. Maybe it was just the holiday travel rush, but I was 0/5 on getting upgraded as a Gold for travel on 12/29 and 1/3 this past week.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, and United
I'm out of OMA and have a hard time getting decent prices. I'm an author and booked a signing event in DWR, so I could spend a few extra days and do some segments to LAX, NYC and MIA there are rates below $100 to all of those. I booked NYC @ $75 RT.

If you can get to DWR that's low this winter.
Old Jan 4, 16, 8:53 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Uknowwhattheysayaboutrobert View Post
Really good advice. I didn't think about that. Once you find routes on the Matrix, how do you usually book them?
I would recommend building the routes on Google Flights. You may need to build as a multi city. Once you have chosen your routing, there is a "Purchase at AA.com" button. Click on that, sign in, and you should be set. I just turned LAX>NYC into LAX>DFW>BOS>LGA that way.

Just note that not all routes will price out once you get to AA's site.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: