Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mileage run out of MIA 5.1k AA miles needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Long time reader of these mileage runs but never acted on it. I'm currently at about 33,700 miles. I have the Citi executive plat wich should get me the 10k EQM.

I wanted to verify a few things with the group:
Since I'm gold, am I correct to assume that I don't need to fly 6,300 miles but 25% less due to Gold bonus? (5k miles).

If so, I was wondering how you would go with finding out whether it's best to book a coach flight or a biz/first? I saw a promotion page on AA.com that says 2.0 (discounted biz) or 3.0 (full biz/first) miles until December 31. Does that mean that I could fly a 1,680 miles in full biz and get to 6,300 EQM miles total? (And to be specific, does the 25% bonus applies to the triple miles or just to the base miles?) Is it generally more interesting to look for these fares or for coach?

I'd like to get to plat as I'll start flying more next year and that should get me to exec plat.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
This should be in the discussion forum.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aerolulu
Since I'm gold, am I correct to assume that I don't need to fly 6,300 miles but 25% less due to Gold bonus? (5k miles).
NO. This is a really common noob trap. The bonus is RDM only, not EQM. You need to fly every inch of that 50K to become platinum. I don't know about the Citi card you have but I do know some CC's provide EQM so I don't doubt you.

That being said you need a 6,300mi MR.

If so, I was wondering how you would go with finding out whether it's best to book a coach flight or a biz/first? I saw a promotion page on AA.com that says 2.0 (discounted biz) or 3.0 (full biz/first) miles until December 31. Does that mean that I could fly a 1,680 miles in full biz and get to 6,300 EQM miles total?....Is it generally more interesting to look for these fares or for coach?
Yes premium cabin bonus's count towards EQM. But it will cost you a disproportionately more to fly less miles in F or C then it will to knock out 6K in Y.

Example: Sat November 7th MIA-CLT-DFW-SEA-PHX-DFW-MIA $324 6,331mi. That is 5.1cpm.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
NO. This is a really common noob trap. The bonus is RDM only, not EQM.

Yes premium cabin bonus's count towards EQM.
Hi Madone. I get the theory behind what you are saying but... Am I missing something? My AA account info only shows EQM, EQP and Segments. How would someone know and keep track of their RDM vs EQM?

Thx.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Lennys26v2
Hi Madone. I get the theory behind what you are saying but... Am I missing something? My AA account info only shows EQM, EQP and Segments. How would someone know and keep track of their RDM vs EQM?

Thx.
Lennys26v2 It's not a theory because that would imply that it still needs to be proven. I don't mean to be curt.

EQM = Elite Qualifying Miles
EQP = Elite Qualifying Points
EQS = Elite Qualifying Segments
RDM = Redeemable Miles.........your mileage bank

The elite bonus only count towards redeemable miles where premium cabin bonus's count towards EQM. I keep track of everything with a spreadsheet but that would be overkill for most.

When you are trying to make status just keep your eye on EQM, EQP OR EQS and make status based on whichever goal you are closet to.

Mod's it's time to ship this off to the discussion thread.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Hi aerolulu- Thanks for participating in the Mileage Run forum. Please continue to follow this thread in its new, proper home: the Mileage Run Discussion forum.

-18sas
Moderator, Mileage Run forum
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Madone59 thanks for the clarification... I was definitely gonna fall for it... Thanks for the update. I've always thought that Exec Plat did not have to re-fly the full 100,000 miles every year... Guess I got that part wrong...

Thank you for your help! I'll check out the MR you posted and see if I can build from it. Mods, sorry for the wrong forum. My next step was to post a tentative MR and see how it looked. Appreciate the move.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:00 pm

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:06 pm

Madone59 thanks for the clarification... I was definitely gonna fall for it... Thanks for the update. I've always thought that Exec Plat did not have to re-fly the full 100,000 miles every year... Guess I got that part wrong...
No problem. Ya, it's a common one. But if you could keep getting EXP at 50K a year I'd have it done a few months ago

Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
Madone found the best option from miami (up to seattle). Instead of flying through CLT and DFW if you did MIA-LAX-SEA-LAX-MIA it's $318 for 6588 miles on Nov. 7th, Nov 14th, or Dec. 5th. Plus you'd get to fly on alaska for the LAX-SEA-LAX segments, I've heard it's pretty nice.
There are many ways to skin a cat. Nice find! AS is great, I really enjoy their service. I know you guys on the East Coast to have many chances to fly them. Hope you Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.