Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: footastic
Sequence of events:

American Airlines (AA) Brazil website misprices revenue tickets in initial calculation on purchase page. Repricing the same reservation by changing billing country resulted in the correct price, even when reverting to Brazil.

Vast majority of tickets appear to have gone unticketed for ~1 week. It appears that tickets were issued manually, not automatically.

AA states repeatedly and to several outlets that they will unconditionally honor all fares.

AA begins cancelling tickets. Subsequently, they send out cancellation emails implying that the "country of residence" was misrepresented. Of course, this is not the case, as AA never actually asks for the "country of residence" but the billing address which includes the country of the billing address.

Since AA repeatedly and publicly stated that they would unconditionally honor the tickets, even when specifically asked about it, many purchasers relied upon AA's representations and made non-refundable plans. DoT regulations require airlines to reimburse purchasers who relied upon mistake fares to make non-refundable plans. It may be worth writing into the US Department of Transportation (DoT) to complain about AA's handling of the situation and ask for compensation even without having non-refundable reservations, because AA went to great lengths to assure purchasers that tickets would be unconditionally honored.

DoT air travel complaint form: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

DoT air travel complaint mailing address:
Aviation Consumer Protection Division, C-75
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Ave, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20590

DoT air travel complain phone line information:
You may call the ACPD 24 hours a day at 202-366-2220 (TTY 202-366-0511) to record your complaint. Calls are returned Monday through Friday, generally between 7:30 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time.

As mentioned by classyflyer and posted by pb9997, if your flight had some kind of legal nexus within Brazil, their consumer protections should apply to your ticket. Here is the contact information for the relevant consumer protection agencies within Brazil. Please be clear in your communication and REMEMBER TO SUBMIT YOUR COMMUNICATIONS IN PORTUGESE.

To translate your communications before submitting them:
http://translate.google.com

www.reclameaqui.com.br
Quote from pb9997: "This site is known to be the most popular, most viewed upon by companies who care about reputation; Though not official, it has proven to be the most respected by consumers and corporations, who may delay answers on their own channels but do take care to have teams focused on answering for this public site. Information written, from both parties, is public."

www.consumidor.gov.br
Quote again from pb9997: "This is the official PROCON site where consumers and companies present their complaints and arguments. It is official, additional care ought to be taken.

I would highly suggest following the order presented; With the first site the company has room to assess impact, prepare an amiable answer and protect their public reputation.

On the second site... well, it's official and what is written by both parties is the basis to act afterwards in a court of law. Ideally the complaint presented should have the Law that explains why a consumer has been impacted and the expected remedy, according [sic] to the Law."

As of 9/8/15 - Individuals who had tickets cancelled in the first round (8/28) have yet to see refunds post to credit cards.

Feel free to update this Wiki with more complete information.
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] AA: GIG/GRU- multiple locations (HKG/LAX/MIA/SFO ETC) ~$200 Y ~$360

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Funny because the DOT has specifically ruled that airlines do not have to honor mistake fares. AA made no official determination (sorry some social media person is not official spokesman for the company) on if they would honor the tickets or not.

When will people realize the airlines live by very different rules thanks to the DOT.
My ticket changing from "Ticket Pending" to "Ticketed" isn't an official determination?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ClassyFlyer
If AA wants to rely on a bad faith (or fraudulent inducement) argument as the basis to void the contract, they certainly can. The correct forum for doing so is in State or Federal court. They would have to file individual actions against each individual they believed acted in this way and attempt to invalidate the individual contracts on those arguments. Obviously, this is hardly tenable, and their public announcements about honoring all the fares would not serve them well.
Actually AA doesnt have to do any of that. They followed the rules the DOT allowed them to do by cancelling the reservation as a mistake fare. They *may* take the next step by calling it fraudulent for those that misrepresented where the billing address if for the credit card. Remember, AA already did all they need to do by cancelling the tickets. Its up to individuals to decide next steps.

Even if they dont go that route by calling it fraudulent and therefore the "mistake fare" rule is moot, it will be up to each individual person, not AA, to prove any damages and ask for compensation (for non-refundable travel expenses incurred). But there is certainly no way that a re-positioning flight would ever be included in that expense incurred. From AA's perspective you are not impacted in any way from traveling from XXX-GIG-XXX just because your nested GIG-DFW-HKG-DFW-GIG flight was cancelled. The key is that since they were built as separate PNRs, AA can and will argue that they are no longer "connecting air travel", since AA does not publish a fare for a routing like NYC-GIG-DFW-HKG.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
AA made no official determination (sorry some social media person is not official spokesman for the company) on if they would honor the tickets or not.
Actually, most verified, corporate Twitter accounts of companies like American are managed by teams of people within the corporate communications department, and they often use such channels as a means of distributing official information (as well as in the case of American even resolving customer issues).

In fact, in 2013, the SEC even said that under certain circumstances, social media could be used as a means to notify of and distribute official shareholder documentation:

http://www.sec.gov/News/PressRelease.../1365171513574

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that "some social media person" just randomly decided to respond off-the-cuff without first having some sort of internal strategy discussion on how to best handle the fares.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
My last comment on this... people really should read:

https://cms.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fi...t_05082015.pdf

The DOT already ruled in favor of an airline for the exact same case as this (having to manipulate the booking process by both using a foreign website and having a billing address there). AA took the steps to say they may honor tickets if they were purchased by residents (citizens or otherwise) of Brazil.

Seems pretty cut and dry. Id be working with AA and the DOT to prove your non-refundable expenses instead of trying to fight to have flights reinstated.

Last edited by imapilotaz; Aug 31, 2015 at 3:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Funny because the DOT has specifically ruled that airlines do not have to honor mistake fares.
The DOT doesn't get to arbitrarily violate its own rules at whim, nor does any other federal agency. Any agency rule or ruling can be appealed, and agency rules and interpretations of them are reversed all the time. There's a highly specific process (called a notice-and-comment period) all federal agencies have to follow to either change existing rules or initiate new ones, one that's been in effect for nearly 70 years now (since the passage of the Administrative Procedure Act). It entails "advance notice" of a new rule or rule change to the general public (as well as whatever industry they regulate); allowing stakeholders to comment on the proposed new or altered rules; taking public comments into account and writing a proposed rule, which has to be published in the Federal Register; a much more extended public-comment period, lasting up to six months; and issuance of a final rule.

All final rules, however, can still be challenged in court. As I said before, courts generally offer broad deference to agency rulemaking. However, if they decide that the agency didn't allow for enough public input during the notice-and-comment period, or that its new rule simply oversteps its jurisdictional bounds, a court can invalidate it.

What happened here is that DOT followed the proper process for codifying 399.88 -- which no one is complaining about -- but then turned around and began "interpreting" it in ways that plainly lead to one of the problems it was designed to *fix*: passengers relying on error fares AFTER an airline has stated publicly that it will honor it, and then reversing themselves with weak justifications (e.g. "improper ticketing"). AA's actions have resulted in significant detrimental reliance on the part of potentially thousands of passengers; by relying on AA's own guidance, these passengers took actions like booking nonrefundable fares of various kinds, ones that they'll basically have to "eat" now that their tickets have been cancelled.

When will people realize the airlines live by very different rules thanks to the DOT.
Not true in the least. Nobody is above the law, and certainly not a government agency (nor, in this instance, an airline relying on said agency's bad advice). I haven't even touched on the possibility of any direct collusion (of an illegal nature) between the airlines and DOT.

Last edited by kirker; Aug 31, 2015 at 3:51 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
The DOT already ruled in favor of an airline for the exact same case as this (having to manipulate the booking process by both using a foreign website and having a billing address there).
No ...., Sherlock. That's entirely besides the point.

Seems pretty cut and dry.
Nothing is "cut and dry" in law, and that goes triply so for agency rulemaking. The DOT is not a legislative body; it's an agency. Period. That's why it issues "rules" and not "laws." Said rules do not carry the same weight as laws -- nor should they -- and they are open to a considerable amount of interpretation by both industry figures as well as the judicial branch.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:02 pm

@Kirker,
actually the fact that a ruling by DOT was issued United on near identical facts is actually very much on point (though you obviously would prefer it not to be the case).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by todd140
@Kirker,
actually the fact that a ruling by DOT was issued United on near identical facts is actually very much on point (though you obviously would prefer it not to be the case).
Except in the United case all bookings were automatically ticketed by the computer system and then cancelled.

In this case AA had all tickets in pending mode, then decided to honor (knowing the facts), and manually ticket them. Then cancel

UA never said they would honor.

Don't know if it would change the outcome, but shows how the devil could be in the details in this case.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's also the timing here - UA canceled very fast. AA didn't even ticket that fast. Time is material.

Beyond all of the legal arguments (interesting reading, to me), has anyone actually been canceled today? Seems like AA might be changing course yet again here.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by josephstern
There's also the timing here - UA canceled very fast. AA didn't even ticket that fast. Time is material.

Beyond all of the legal arguments (interesting reading, to me), has anyone actually been canceled today? Seems like AA might be changing course yet again here.
My 2x itineraries are still showing up as ticketed. I have no idea whether I should book hotels etc given how unpredictable AA has been.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:25 pm

If I booked 2 'reservations', with 2 passengers on each one, is that: 1,2 or 4 separate contracts and separate individual small claims lawsuits?

I believe AA violated their contract of carriage here by providing the 'prior authorization' (via public statements of honoring all bookings) which nullifies their right to cancel tickets which 'circumvent American Airlines' fare rules or policies' [for those which were allegedly booked with a 'misleading' country of residence].

Contract breach damages would be the cost of purchasing an equivalent ticket on another airline....

From contract of carriage:

Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:

Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:32 pm

@kirker

http://imgur.com/a/fd0kT

I specifically asked AA whether they were going to either: a.) honor bookings in some markets only, or b.) honor all bookings, that had occurred in some markets, and they confirmed the latter in full, in writing.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
No because AA will demand you prove your nonrefundable costs. Keep in mind AA doesnt care if you paid $1000 to fly DFW-GIG to pick up the flight. As far as they're concerned, they are separate tickets and you can enjoy Rio as you booked that ticket.

And frankly, who buys nonrefundable hotels without insurance on it? Your AA flight cancels and you're crap out of luck. Its rare that refundable hotels are more than 10% different, and that goes into the insurance/self-insurance debate.
I don't care what AA thinks. It matters what the DOT will consider non-refundable costs associated with this booking. Positioning flights, tours, hotels, visa are all fair game in my mind if they were booked AFTER AA issued the tickets and BEFORE they started canceled.

And I don't know anybody who books insurance for hotels as a matter of policy. I understand why you do that, but don't think that most people do what you do.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by statys
If I booked 2 'reservations', with 2 passengers on each one, is that: 1,2 or 4 separate contracts and separate individual small claims lawsuits?

I believe AA violated their contract of carriage here by providing the 'prior authorization' (via public statements of honoring all bookings) which nullifies their right to cancel tickets which 'circumvent American Airlines' fare rules or policies' [for those which were allegedly booked with a 'misleading' country of residence].

Contract breach damages would be the cost of purchasing an equivalent ticket on another airline....

From contract of carriage:

Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines.

Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, American has the right in its sole discretion to:

Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary
The answer to the question lies in the SCC limit in your state. You cannot plead down your damages in most states, so if your limit is $10K and the damage you claim is $8K per ticket, you file one suit and see how it goes.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: dont matter anymore...
My GRU-HKG trip just re-ticketed. No visible changes that I can see, even the fare rules are the same.

Edit: So I called the EXP desk and they said that all the tickets were being reissued because of some currency conversion malfunction. I didn't want to press any further.

Last edited by flipside; Aug 31, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.