Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA Plat Challenge - need 10K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: American

Hi folks,

I've accepted an offer from AA for a Platinum challenge. My catch, need 12K miles by Oct 9. I managed a bit over 2K this past week with a trip I already had on the books but I still need around 10K miles by early October.

I'm new to the idea of milage runs, based near Austin. AUS or GRK are my best departing airports. Would vastly prefer to keep hops in spots where I can use my Admiral's Club on longer stops, though that's a luxury rather than requirement.

Thoughts on best strategies for a newcomer to the idea of milage runs?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by taaustin
Hi folks,

I've accepted an offer from AA for a Platinum challenge. My catch, need 12K miles by Oct 9. I managed a bit over 2K this past week with a trip I already had on the books but I still need around 10K miles by early October.

I'm new to the idea of milage runs, based near Austin. AUS or GRK are my best departing airports. Would vastly prefer to keep hops in spots where I can use my Admiral's Club on longer stops, though that's a luxury rather than requirement.

Thoughts on best strategies for a newcomer to the idea of milage runs?
Are you sure it's EQM's (elite qualifying miles) rather than EQP's (elite qualifying points) that you need? Usually status challenges on AA require that you obtain a set amount of EQP's rather than EQM's. If you're flying on discount coach tickets, this can be difficult to achieve as most discount fares only earn you 0.5 EQPs per mile flown. Also keep in mind that the current promotion for J/F fare EQP bumps (2.0 or 3.0 for certain J/F fares) does not apply towards qualification for a status challenge. Your best bet for a good place to start would probably be to look for a mileage run to JFK in F. That should net you ~4,500 EQP's (that are qualifying). Google flights is your friend when you're trying to MR. Good luck!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by aves17
Are you sure it's EQM's (elite qualifying miles) rather than EQP's (elite qualifying points) that you need? Usually status challenges on AA require that you obtain a set amount of EQP's rather than EQM's. If you're flying on discount coach tickets, this can be difficult to achieve as most discount fares only earn you 0.5 EQPs per mile flown. Also keep in mind that the current promotion for J/F fare EQP bumps (2.0 or 3.0 for certain J/F fares) does not apply towards qualification for a status challenge. Your best bet for a good place to start would probably be to look for a mileage run to JFK in F. That should net you ~4,500 EQP's (that are qualifying). Google flights is your friend when you're trying to MR. Good luck!
Yeah EQP's are definitely a bit more annoying to work around with in terms of booking certain fare classes.

I believe that AA offers Platinum Challenges that are EQM only through targeted offers (they also waive the usual fee of like $240).

Definitely find out which one you need -- if EQP book according to this chart:

Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you need 10k POINTS, my advice is to get it done all at once. I saw some cheap flights to JNB on British Airways (in the $800 range?). Out of Austin that nets you 21070 miles, but more importantly, 10,535 points. Boom - in and out, one weekend, and you can enjoy a nice layover in London on the way.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

It is indeed an AA Platinum Challenge (with fee waived)... the text from my original message states:

"Enjoy complimentary American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status on us through October 9, 2015.

You’ll experience all the benefits of Platinum status, plus we’ll give you twenty 500-mile upgrades just for signing up.

And, if you want to keep your status through February 28, 2017, simply earn 12,000 AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles or points on American, US Airways, and other select airlines* for travel between the date you register and October 9, 2015.
"

for what it's worth, just saw those 20 upgrades show up a day or so ago...

Advice?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It is indeed an AA Platinum Challenge (with fee waived)... the text from my original message states:

"Enjoy complimentary American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status on us through October 9, 2015.

You’ll experience all the benefits of Platinum status, plus we’ll give you twenty 500-mile upgrades just for signing up.

And, if you want to keep your status through February 28, 2017, simply earn 12,000 AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles or points on American, US Airways, and other select airlines* for travel between the date you register and October 9, 2015.
"

Advice?
12k EQM's or EQP's is a very nice offer. I'd focus on EQM's for this as you'll be able to burn some of those stickers for upgrades while paying for discount economy fares. Your best bet is likely going to be an international flight on a weekend turn if you want to knock it out in one run. You'll have a lot of options out of DFW, so I'd be doing a google flights search out of there for the days you can go to see what pops up.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

thanks!

Many thanks for the thoughts here... I'll see what I can come up with and post the progress here
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, AA EP, DL Diamond, UA PLATINUM, Amtrak Select Plus
very informative post

very good/informative post for those getting into mileage running, myself included.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:50 am

If you have a Brazillian visa, round trip to GRU will meet the mileage for less than $1K.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:30 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

"

Advice?
How did you receive this offer? Unsolicited email or did you contact AA?

(Thinking about changing all my MR-fun trips to AA is I can earn their highest tier with a few flights to Africa or the Middle East for cheap!)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K

"

Advice?
My BF got the offer too. I had already flown on them twice this year so I guess they didn't want me! We were already flying on the NY-PAR BA $1700 business ticket in September so we just booked NY-Cabo for $350+ to get the rest of the miles. Using those 20 upgrades to request on the outbound. We never know where we'll be flying so it was worth it since we already had the bulk of the miles booked.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I also just signed up for this offer (was invited) the other day.

I received the 20 stickers within a week.
I had flown about 3k miles in 2015 before this offer.
I decided to knock it out on nearly one go and am headed to SCL (from TPA via MIA) this weekend and have one work trip planned in sept to cover the rest.

I received my first AA upgrade on the lengthy TPA>MIA flight!

was 800 AI booked one week out. Not a MR worthy fare, but I get to visit a new destination and with 0 days off left for the year, it was the most practical way. the 100% RDM bonus was the big motivation for me. ~30K OW miles booked beyond this trip.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by dogloverjb
My BF got the offer too. I had already flown on them twice this year so I guess they didn't want me! We were already flying on the NY-PAR BA $1700 business ticket in September so we just booked NY-Cabo for $350+ to get the rest of the miles. Using those 20 upgrades to request on the outbound. We never know where we'll be flying so it was worth it since we already had the bulk of the miles booked.
Wife got an offer for them to get Gold straight up until 2/2017 without flights or Plat if she hits 12500 points in the next 3 months and Ex-Plat if she hits 25000 points in the next 3 months. You have to choose one of the three, no soft landing to Gold if you fail the challenges nor do you get Plat if you chose Ex-Plat and is short of points (but meets the Plat point count).
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:48 pm

I got an EXP 25k EQP offer, with a 50k bonus if I earn the EQP.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA-ex EXP, PLT, LTG, MVP-Gold, UA-Silver, SPG-LTG, PLT, HH-D, Hyatt-D,
How did you receive the complimentary AA challenge (with fee waived) ? Did you ask for it or was it in your inbox as part of a targeted offer ? If so I do agree do one long haul flight and you are done with it.
I live in Austin and am thinking of applying and paying for the challenge and will probably use Austin or Dallas and do one long haul flight and make sure I get my 10k EQM .. need to make sure it is EQM not EQP.

Best of luck ..to both of us

Andrew F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.