Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

LAX turnaround: too close for comfort?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX turnaround: too close for comfort?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Question LAX turnaround: too close for comfort?

Looking for a little advice from you LAX veterans on a mileage run I've got planned for later this summer. The itinerary is BKK-ICN-LAX, and back, on OZ. Notwithstanding OZ's OTP, here's the issue:

The turnaround time in LAX is scheduled for 2h10. I've got to disembark, pass thru customs, check in, go thru security, and embark. Should I be able to make it in 2h10?

Note:
- I'm a Canadian and participate in Global Entry
- I'll have no checked baggage, of course
- It's the same aircraft ICN-LAX

Thoughts?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
The key phrase that you listed is "Global Entry". I think with that, this becomes relatively easy.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Piece of cake. From time you exit aircraft to exit customs should not exceed 15 minutes.Be sure to use the GE Customs lane. Not sure how efficient OZ check-in counter will be. Going thru TSA can take a while but not more than 30 minutes.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Can you check in for your return portion in ICN? As other posters have said, should be :15 minutes thru customs (no bags?) and at most :30 through security.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
LAX customs was a madhouse last week, but walked right up to a GE machine so you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
LAX customs was a madhouse last week, but walked right up to a GE machine so you shouldn't have any problems.
My experience as well. The only risk factor is if your original flight is very delayed. Fully understand that since it's the same aircraft, it would be difficult to "miss" - you could run into issues if you don't land in time to check in before the cutoff.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:24 pm

online check-in 24hours before departure? boarding pass on smartphone?

I agree with others here.. TBIT has improved alot recently, you should have no problem getting back on-board the aircraft for your return.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
That should be ample time.

If I was able to do a similar turnaround at JFK, you can do it at LAX
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Have OZ check you in for your return. It is same calendar day and less than 24 hours so you should board in ICN with your return BP further simplifying things.

If you have spare time, make a trek to In-N-Out for a burger. You need less than 1 hour for a great meal and view of the runway.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks for all the advice - it gives me hope.

Today I tried to book the itinerary online, but it didn't work, so I called the OZ Res line. The agent said the quick turnaround in LAX would not work because...

(1) the Check in Counter closes @ 11:30am (so I would only have 1h10 after the flight lands in LAX to check in), (and what if the plane is late), and

(2) though you can check in online, boarding passes must be picked up at the LAX check in counter - they cannot be obtained beforehand.

*sigh*

Ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.