Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

LAX-PAP - Use AA Amex Credit or Delta Miles? Or just book w/cash?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum

Hey guys, quick question.

Need to get to PAP/Haiti at the end of the month.

Leaving Oct 30 and returning Nov 3/4.

I've got 275 in airline credit from AMEX for AA using the reimbursement program. Flights on AA are running around the $600-650 mark for the dates above on AA but I get a 12 hour layover in Miami and see the parents on the way there and way back.

Alternative is 35k delta miles + 100 fuel/tax. Flight is LAX/JFK/PAP but there is a 12-hour layover in NYC. (10pm to 10am). Flights on Delta are also running at $650ish.

Spirit has flights for 450ish RT.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Spirit has many cases where 1+1=4. This is one case.

I'm showing LAX FLL is $141 paid online, so $124 paid at the airport. FLL PAP $67 online or $50 at the airport. PAP FLL $130 online or $113 airport, and FLL PAP $113 online or $96 at the airport. The full round trip paid at the airport totals $383. Plus, if you have family in FLL, you can adjust your stay as you're working with separate one-ways. All of this assumes no luggage, which I'm guessing you're aware of.

I've received email documentation from Spirit Customer Service that if you break the fare on a same day connection, baggage fees apply only once; pay online, and have the agent adjust the destination at the counter.

As this is the MR forum, you may opt for a mileage-earning LAX FLL/MIA instead of the Spirit $220 LAX FLL LAX, but the Spirit FLL PAP FLL seems the better way to go.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold) / SPG Gold / Intercontinental Ambassador / AMEX Platinum
Thank buddy. Not sure exactly how to get away with paying at the airport, but will give the Spirit route a go.

I booked a normal ticket for 650 through priceline but gonna cancel it.

Will try to make moves based on your post.

thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.