Wiki Posts
Search

UA: Need 20k mile MR advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
UA: Need 20k mile MR advice

I'm going to need about 18,000-19,000 miles to hit 1mm miles on UA (on top of the travel I already have planned for the rest of this year) and I'd like to hit it this year. Any idea on knocking it out in one trip (from Newark)? I'm looking at EWR-SIN, which would take less than 48 hours and 4 segments start to finish and would be 19,326 miles. Flying via HKG, it would arrive SIN 1:40am, then head back 5:45am, so no hotel needed. All segments need to be on UA (or Copa) to hit MM status.

Any thoughts on alternatives to get approximately 18,000+ UA miles?

If I did this, are there any immigration issues in SIN? Do you have to clear customs, then reenter, or can you just go right to your departure gate? Also assuming no visa issues.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:40 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Clearing customs in SIN is a relatively mundane task, you could exit and then re-enter as long as you can check back into your flight, security is done at the gates
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
From the East Coast SIN is the best bet. There are still plenty of good options to BAH, but you would need to come West first to get enough miles.

Make sure you avoid partner/ *A segments with those low SIN K fares - unless it is UA metal it wont credit 100%. I was looking at SIN MR's last night and a lot through NRT connect to ANA just FYI

Good luck ^
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
From the East Coast SIN is the best bet. There are still plenty of good options to BAH, but you would need to come West first to get enough miles.

Make sure you avoid partner/ *A segments with those low SIN K fares - unless it is UA metal it wont credit 100%. I was looking at SIN MR's last night and a lot through NRT connect to ANA just FYI

Good luck ^
Good advice. It would be easy to get tripped up with a code share. SIN seems the only way from EWR to get that many miles on UA metal with a single connection each way.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: UA MM
If I did this, are there any immigration issues in SIN? Do you have to clear customs, then reenter, or can you just go right to your departure gate? Also assuming no visa issues.[/QUOTE]

You do not have to leave the secure area or clear customs unless you want a SIN stamp in your passport for a souvenir, but then you will not be able to get back in until United check in opens.
United has a check in desk within the secure area as well as the United Club. They are not open 24 hrs, but both will open in plenty of time to check in. There is also a 4 hour increment transit hotel which has a pool and gym.
Once after midnight a group of soldiers with automatic weapons were asking everyone sleeping on chairs or the floor for their itineraries - they don't want people living there. After a long look at a simple print out (not boarding passes), they let me continue sleeping. No visa requirement for U.S..
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
SIN seems the only way from EWR to get that many miles on UA metal with a single connection each way.
Not that it's practical, but there is one more that's more: MEL

Here's a few 4-segment routes in the ballpark, hopefully I did the math right:

20.7k EWR-LAX-MEL rt
20.1k EWR-NRT-SIN rt
19.3k EWR-HKG-SIN rt
19.2k EWR-NRT-BKK rt
18.9k EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG-EWR
18.8k EWR-SFO-CTU rt
17.9k EWR-HKG-SGN rt
17.4k EWR-SFO-PVG rt
19.8k EWR-LAX-SYD rt

I agree the SIN fares are most practical. The Australia ones are definitely not.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
11/4/14 or most Mondays in Oct out of LGA

LGA-MNL via HNL and GUM

Negatives: LGA, 4 UA segments each way, 55 hr trip
Positives: 4.7 cpm, partially RPUable to ease the pain, 21,462PQM

Last edited by tonykline1947; Sep 4, 2014 at 5:04 pm
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Any thoughts on alternatives to get approximately 18,000+ UA miles?
Not EWR but 3x LGA-IAH-SJC ~$305 mid-week same day turns available. CPU mid-con segments without overnight flights. No where near the best price ever but will put you at your goal.

Unless you need the miles for calendar 2014 elite qualifying I think you would be ok achieving 1MM status with flights in Jan/Feb 2015, as there has been traditionally less expensive fares offered during those months.

SunLover
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover
Unless you need the miles for calendar 2014 elite qualifying I think you would be ok achieving 1MM status with flights in Jan/Feb 2015, as there has been traditionally less expensive fares offered during those months.

SunLover
Good thought, but I have an uncertain work schedule Jan-Feb, so I need to go this year.

Booked EWR-HKG-SIN first weekend in November. Before then there's no SIN-HKG-EWR same day. Plus by traveling over the weekend when US time changes, I get 2 hours in HKG on the outbound, instead of 1, which gives me time for a shower in the lounge. $1042+646 taxes*. Four segments, 46 hours start to finish. 19,300 miles.

Sounds like if I clear customs at 1:40am I may not be able to get right back in - return flight at 5:45am. Is that right? Maybe better to stay airside. I have an APEC card. Will that help clear customs quicker or no difference?

(* - this isn't the cheapest fare. I had to book a W fare to use the GPU's.)

Last edited by tarheelnj; Sep 6, 2014 at 10:27 am Reason: additional text
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No need to go through immigration/customs for such a short layover. And also no need to sleep on the floor. Go grab a seat in a massage chair in the lounge you can access as a *G (or if flying C or F the Singapore Airlines lounges) and catch a few hours of sleep. Just make sure you have an alarm or something to wake you up!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tmelanio
If I did this, are there any immigration issues in SIN? Do you have to clear customs, then reenter, or can you just go right to your departure gate? Also assuming no visa issues.
Originally Posted by tmelanio
United has a check in desk within the secure area as well as the United Club. They are not open 24 hrs, but both will open in plenty of time to check in. There is also a 4 hour increment transit hotel which has a pool and gym.
Just got back from an immediate turn in SIN and you do not need to clear immigration/customs upon arrival. You can stay in the terminal and explore, catch a shower at the Ambassador Transit lounge in T3 for $16 SGD or a few hours sleep at the Ambassador Transit hotel for ~$75 SGD (6 hrs). There are "nap rooms" too for ~$40 SGD (3 hrs) that includes shower which is a good middle of the road option.

While you are technically "airside" in that you are in a secure zone behind immigration/customs, you are not in a sterile area until just prior to departure when you go thru security at the gate.

If you do go out thru immigration/customs, you won't be able to get back in until the check-in desks open at 3am. If you have checked bags, you will be forced to go thru immigration/customs in order to retrieve them. No Visa is required for US citizens.

There is no United Club in SIN - only the Singapore Air Kris lounges and the SATS Premier contract lounge for Star Alliance in T3. The SATS lounge will let you in if you are *Gold starting at 3am but the SQ lounges are open 24hours. If you're in J or F, then you can use the SilverKris lounge (which has showers); otherwise *G will let you into the KrisFlyer Gold lounge next door which is not as good but has some food. SATS lounge has awesome free massage chairs and better food options than KrisFlyer Gold.

All the lounges are departure-only and you will need a same-day outbound BP on Star Alliance carrier in order to enter. Print out your return BP in HKG before you arrive as the transfer desk opens at 3am. There are no self-serve kiosks and mobile BPs on your phone won't work.

Most of the shops/restaurants are closed between midnight and 5am but there are still lots of things to do and the terminal is busy at all hours. You won't be the only one doing an immediate turnaround - they are used to it.

Last edited by mrswirl; Sep 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:49 pm

Booked EWR-HKG-SIN first weekend in November. Before then there's no SIN-HKG-EWR same day. Plus by traveling over the weekend when US time changes, I get 2 hours in HKG on the outbound, instead of 1, which gives me time for a shower in the lounge. $1042+646 taxes*. Four segments, 46 hours start to finish. 19,300 miles.

(* - this isn't the cheapest fare. I had to book a W fare to use the GPU's.)
I think you did fine since you are achieving your 1MM status goal within your time and travel constraints. Now you just need to cross fingers and wait for GPU's to clear. And thanks for doubling back and letting us know your decision ^ real world intel and peer data points are IMO the highest purpose for FT.

SunLover
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Booked EWR-HKG-SIN first weekend in November. Before then there's no SIN-HKG-EWR same day. Plus by traveling over the weekend when US time changes, I get 2 hours in HKG on the outbound, instead of 1, which gives me time for a shower in the lounge.
Transiting in HKG is super-easy BTW and the United Club there is one of the best. Nice showers. Put your name in as soon as you walk in as there will probably be a waitlist.

HKG also has the stupid no-liquids rule so don't buy any duty free liquor or you'll have to toss it before boarding.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover
I think you did fine since you are achieving your 1MM status goal within your time and travel constraints. Now you just need to cross fingers and wait for GPU's to clear. And thanks for doubling back and letting us know your decision ^ real world intel and peer data points are IMO the highest purpose for FT.

SunLover
Thanks! 3 out of four on the upgrades. Just waiting for EWR-HKG, which I understand is one of the hardest in the system. I have 6A on the HKG-SIN and return segments. I saw a comment about 6B being blocked. Is this a crew rest seat? If so, 6A seems like a good choice, right?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:39 am

I have 6A on the HKG-SIN and return segments. I saw a comment about 6B being blocked. Is this a crew rest seat? If so, 6A seems like a good choice, right?
I would go 6A based on: forward facing, window seat (undisturbed rest), front of cabin, next to crew rest. Hopefully you receive quick service and/or can catch some shut eye on the relatively short flight.

SunLover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.