Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(FARE GONE) AA: New York to Vienna $448

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(FARE GONE) AA: New York to Vienna $448

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by bdohmen
Had one EWR/vie on hold from this morning and just booked. As I live in Philly any harm in not taking the final leg to Newark and just heading home upon arrival into PHL?
As long as you don't check bags you'll be fine. I've done this 3-4 times in the last few years.
Old May 24, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by veeRob
As long as you don't check bags you'll be fine. I've done this 3-4 times in the last few years.
He could check bags if he wanted to. Since PHL is his first airport in the USA he would need to clear customs and claim his baggage before leaving. He just doesn't recheck it in after.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by Chucksterace
He could check bags if he wanted to. Since PHL is his first airport in the USA he would need to clear customs and claim his baggage before leaving. He just doesn't recheck it in after.
Good point, and I just did this. I was flying back from Australia to LAX and bought my ticket as SYD-LAX-YVR as it was cheaper. Threw away the last leg.

I'm not 100% sure that every airport in the US makes you recheck your bag... I was under the impression that some airports sent your bags right through, but I could be wrong.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by veeRob
Good point, and I just did this. I was flying back from Australia to LAX and bought my ticket as SYD-LAX-YVR as it was cheaper. Threw away the last leg.

I'm not 100% sure that every airport in the US makes you recheck your bag... I was under the impression that some airports sent your bags right through, but I could be wrong.
Well when you land in the USA you need to go through customs, and one of the requirements by customs is that you need to have your bag when going through. Maybe there is one or two airports that bypass this but I doubt it.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:33 am

Well when you land in the USA you need to go through customs, and one of the requirements by customs is that you need to have your bag when going through. Maybe there is one or two airports that bypass this but I doubt it.
Wrong!

There are a few.
Be careful of IAD, SNN and AUH.
SNN and AUH has "United States border preclearance": link

I might be wrong but IAD has it for flights to Canada, so when you do a HC to Canada you won't be able to pick up your bags at IAD
Old May 25, 2014, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by fuyao
Wrong!

There are a few.

I might be wrong but IAD has it for flights to Canada, so when you do a HC to Canada you won't be able to pick up your bags at IAD
Well it should be know SNN or AUH won't work since you aren't going through customs in US.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: US Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premium
You can definitely do this in Philly since I've done it----twice. The first time was a couple of years ago and the second time was just in March. You have to clear customs and walk down a hall where you have two options- exit on the left or walk further to the right to re-check bags. It's that easy. I know that you shouldn't do it so I have done it on rare occasions (I fly enough that I would think they won't notice the two instances) but I know there's always the potential of it being an issue.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that it can be done!
Old May 25, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fuyao
Quote:

Wrong!

There are a few.

IAD also can be a problem because some flights connecting passengers are sent to the midfield for immigration / customs which prevents you from the standard collection process
Old May 25, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Got two - MSY-PRG about $600 ai

Thanks, OP, found two to Prague. Didn't have to reposition. Great find.

AA's site was strange - it mentioned some cheap fares but didn't display any flights with those fares. had to go to Expedia to book.

Cost was a bit more out of MSY, but much cheaper (and less potential grief) than repositioning to a cheaper gateway.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL GM
Airfarewatchdog would not shut up about this fare on Twitter. They keep peddling this fare when TFD scooped it first, and now they are asking will AA honor to drum up discussion. Deeply annoyed by them and their stupidity.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Well, when I booked, it immediately went into a "on request" status that I have never seen.....called this morning and the agent said it "fell out of the ticketing queue" but said he put it back in and should ticket in 20-30 minutes.....this afternoon still in the same on request status so called again and another agent said the ticket was fine and price is guaranteed but just in line for the ticketing desk and to wait another 24 hours after my re-submission this morning before calling again......
Old May 25, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Well, when I booked, it immediately went into a "on request" status that I have never seen.....called this morning and the agent said it "fell out of the ticketing queue" but said he put it back in and should ticket in 20-30 minutes.....this afternoon still in the same on request status so called again and another agent said the ticket was fine and price is guaranteed but just in line for the ticketing desk and to wait another 24 hours after my re-submission this morning before calling again......
"On Request" is normal. A reservation that involves flights with partner airlines often can take up to 3 days to ticket.

The problem is, when something goes wrong (like CC being declined), the ticket will stay as "on request." So sometimes a call after 48 hours is a good idea to doublecheck that there are no problems.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Do these fares show up on Matrix ITA?
Old May 25, 2014, 1:42 pm

skipping last leg

If you do this very frequently with the same airline then it can raise falgs otherwise throwing away last leg is not that uncommon.

You have to be bit careful when you are checking bags as bags can travel differently (sometimes when they have been mishandled).

What I do is sweet talk check-in agent into check my bags only up to first stop (including double checking actual sticker t make sure that final destination is not even mentioned)

That way, bags will always arrive at first destination.

Although chances of re-routing decreases significantly once check-in is done, it is always a possibility and during re-routing, you can be put on a different flight that goes directly to your final destination.

In case or EWR/PHL, that is not a big deal but in case of LAX/YVR example that someone mentioned, it could be an inconvenience.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Orion
Do these fares show up on Matrix ITA?
Not that I'm aware of. Seems to have disappeared ~4:30pm EDT on Saturday. The base fares now typically have the YQ/YR in them so even though there is still no YQ/YR being charged the total cost is the higher, "normal" rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.