Wiki Posts
Search

UA MR- PHL-SEA- good deal?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Usairways Silver
UA MR- PHL-SEA- good deal?

Doing a MR hoping I got a good deal (I am new to this MR stuff )

PHL-CLT-TPA-IAH-SEA

SEA-IAH-PHL

Total Miles 6814

Total cost $380.30

(FYI the straight phl-sea with just one connection was only $240.00 RT which I think is an exceptionally good deal? (I believe the deal may also be available PHL-PDX) I had to add in segments outbound bc I will attain premier status... so had to pay the extra money so I can have my status for my next mileage run the next week )
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
At 5.7 cpm, its barely a MR.

The rule of thumb for the best MR's is 3-4 cpm (calculated as fare paid divided by # miles).

Having said that, I do MR's mainly for FF miles on my own dime. Others do trips to places thye need to be and then call it a MR. So it really depends.

Good luck and keep posting!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Klineact
Doing a MR hoping I got a good deal (I am new to this MR stuff )

PHL-CLT-TPA-IAH-SEA

SEA-IAH-PHL

Total Miles 6814

Total cost $380.30

(FYI the straight phl-sea with just one connection was only $240.00 RT which I think is an exceptionally good deal? (I believe the deal may also be available PHL-PDX) I had to add in segments outbound bc I will attain premier status... so had to pay the extra money so I can have my status for my next mileage run the next week )
Depending on your travel dates and length of stay on the MR (same day RT?), you may want to consider leaving out of ZFV (Phila 30th Street Amtrak Station). Fares in November, for example are from $203 (ZFV-EWR-SEA-EWR-ZFV) and $207 (ZFV-EWR-SFO-SEA-EWR-ZFV: 5776 miles (or 3.6 cpm) seemingly a better MR. Same fares for same day an single overnight runs. Many assorted dates in November 2013 (5,6,12, 13 and 19th).
Good luck and remember the ZFV origination for future cheaper fares than out of PHL.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cagcag
Depending on your travel dates and length of stay on the MR (same day RT?), you may want to consider leaving out of ZFV (Phila 30th Street Amtrak Station). Fares in November, for example are from $203 (ZFV-EWR-SEA-EWR-ZFV) and $207 (ZFV-EWR-SFO-SEA-EWR-ZFV: 5776 miles (or 3.6 cpm) seemingly a better MR. Same fares for same day an single overnight runs. Many assorted dates in November 2013 (5,6,12, 13 and 19th).
Good luck and remember the ZFV origination for future cheaper fares than out of PHL.
ok thank you. Its more of a status run I guess I should say as I needed 6400 miles to qualify for premier and this is the only time I have to do it before years end...I was originally going to just do PHL-SFO-SEA-IAH-PHL but was literally coming up 69 miles short of where I needed to be so I added in the CLT segment which also threw me into TPA and that is what tacked on the additional $120 in cost but I figure in the end it was worth it. I will check into the ZFV origination never knew about that! Thanks again
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
ok thank you. Its more of a status run I guess I should say as I needed 6400 miles to qualify for premier and this is the only time I have to do it before years end...I was originally going to just do PHL-SFO-SEA-IAH-PHL but was literally coming up 69 miles short of where I needed to be so I added in the CLT segment which also threw me into TPA and that is what tacked on the additional $120 in cost but I figure in the end it was worth it. I will check into the ZFV origination never knew about that! Thanks again
Do two of the ZFV-SEA runs for slightly more money than your posted idea for MANY more miles
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cagcag
Do two of the ZFV-SEA runs for slightly more money than your posted idea for MANY more miles

Yes I know what you are saying I just wish I had the time over the weekends the next couple months to do that as weekday travel isn't possible due to my work schedule right now but...I will def look into it for MR for next year though! Thanks for your help
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes I know what you are saying I just wish I had the time over the weekends the next couple months to do that as weekday travel isn't possible due to my work schedule right now but...I will def look into it for MR for next year though! Thanks for your help
I would still buy the 69 miles on award accelerator versus paying $120 for the CLT/TPA routing.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

Originally Posted by aacharya
I would still buy the 69 miles on award accelerator versus paying $120 for the CLT/TPA routing.
Last year I was in a similar boat, about 100 miles short. No matter what I did, the lowest amount I was offered to purchase EQM was 1000 miles at the cost of $200. It is because I waited too late in the year. You still have time left. Try booking a refundable fare (or cancel within 24 hours) on the shortest one-way flight you could find (say IAH to AUS), and check to see you could buy the EQM miles at a low cost. If not, there is nothing wrong with paying $120 extra to reach the desired status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.