Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

MR help from Bos - Needed 8,300 Qualifying Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR help from Bos - Needed 8,300 Qualifying Miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: AA XPlat
been doing some more searching:
depart Sat early, return Sun late
BOS-IAD-SAN-SFO-BOS-IAD-SAN-SFO-BOS
$765; 11914 PQM; 6.4 cpm

as this reduces small 2nd trip I'd need; I've cancelled the IST trip (sadly, would have been fun)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by BeckhamsTears
been doing some more searching:
depart Sat early, return Sun late
BOS-IAD-SAN-SFO-BOS-IAD-SAN-SFO-BOS
$765; 11914 PQM; 6.4 cpm
Jeepers, it's hard to keep up with all the fare changes from last night. Another good catch! BOS-SAN seems to be $379 on US, UA and DL now. It was $100 more yesterday, and only on one day.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the continued assistance. And boy do these prices change fast! (I never knew they changed this fast)

I just tried look for the one you mentioned Aero, but the return leg through Seattle was not an option. Best I could see was leaving at 8:20 the next night (which I am fine with since I could sleep and spend one day in ANC), but it was up to $1583.14.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

May I ask (hopefully not too silly of a question) Do you just search on United? Or do you use Kayak or another website when searching for these deals?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by EvilCastle
Thank you for the continued assistance. And boy do these prices change fast! (I never knew they changed this fast)
Welcome! Oh yeah, fares are coming in and going VERY quickly right now. I've seen a couple last not more than 15-20 minutes before the few seats at a certain price got snapped up.

Did you check the SAN routing posted by BeckhamsTears? It's basically a double BOS-SAN with a creative routing.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:13 pm

Do you just search on United? Or do you use Kayak or another website when searching for these deals?
What I do for most searches is first look at google.com/flights. They have a map there where you can enter your starting point, then adjust the dates and length of your trip.

Then after I get a good idea of where to begin searching, I use the calendar function of ITA on the web: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I display fares/routes using the Time Bar format. If you go under the Help menu there, you can turn on a function which allows you to see the total miles and cost per mile when you hover the mouse over a price.

Then I filter flights by carrier on the calendar page, and see what's available. ITA doesn't always play nicely when combining flights within an alliance, though. I've seen one price displayed on the calendar, then another cheaper price on the actual results page when it prices something like a UA segment with a US segment, so don't take the calendar as gospel!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

That is a cool site! I like it a lot better then searching on United or Kayak. So much more user friendly and much more info. I still need to play around with it a lot more to get more comfortable.

I did not checkout Beckhams SAN routing....but not for lack of effort. I could get a flight out to SAN through IAD and then back through SFO...but haven't figured out how he did it as a double BOS-SAN.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

That is a cool site! I like it a lot better then searching on United or Kayak. So much more user friendly and much more info. I still need to play around with it a lot more to get more comfortable.

I did not checkout Beckhams SAN routing....but not for lack of effort. I could get a flight out to SAN through IAD and then back through SFO...but haven't figured out how he did it as a double BOS-SAN.
I take this back. I just did it through the multi city option, but the price is up to $1660. Unless of course I did it wrong
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:51 pm

I could get a flight out to SAN through IAD and then back through SFO...but haven't figured out how he did it as a double BOS-SAN.
Two tickets:

BOS-SAN routed BOS-IAD-SAN outbound departing at 5:24am, then SAN-SFO-BOS returning, arriving BOS at 1:00am

Same itinerary and flights, one on the 15th, the other on the 16th.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Two tickets:

BOS-SAN routed BOS-IAD-SAN outbound departing at 5:24am, then SAN-SFO-BOS returning, arriving BOS at 1:00am

Same itinerary and flights, one on the 15th, the other on the 16th.
Why does my work Holiday party have to be this weekend!!! uggggggg. That's my issue, I was looking at the 29th and 30th. I feel much better now though, I am understanding how these routes work now.

Thank you all for your help! I am going to have to check constantly for deals to pop up in my available time and just hope I see a good deal and grab it right away!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:09 pm

Great! Just keep looking, you'll get the hang of it. Also keep checking the threads here, people come up with a lot of terrific ideas for others you might be able to make work for you.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: AA XPlat

Hi - Not sure if you got it yet - but I looked again just now and it's still there. In Kayak, I did multi-city, and searched for 4 legs: BOS-SAN 15Dec, SAN-BOS 15Dec, BOS-SAN 16Dec, SAN-BOS 16Dec.
Scroll down in the options and look for the one with two SFO layovers. For more miles, layovers rank SFO > EWR > IAD > ORD.

When booked as one 4-leg ticket, it saved ~$30 compared to two RTs.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Great! Just keep looking, you'll get the hang of it. Also keep checking the threads here, people come up with a lot of terrific ideas for others you might be able to make work for you.
Thank you again for your help. Starting out fresh here it was a great welcome and helped me learn a lot! I did see a deal to LAS in February in one thread for $187 and I was thinking of going then. I LOVE this site!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BeckhamsTears
Hi - Not sure if you got it yet - but I looked again just now and it's still there. In Kayak, I did multi-city, and searched for 4 legs: BOS-SAN 15Dec, SAN-BOS 15Dec, BOS-SAN 16Dec, SAN-BOS 16Dec.
Scroll down in the options and look for the one with two SFO layovers. For more miles, layovers rank SFO > EWR > IAD > ORD.

When booked as one 4-leg ticket, it saved ~$30 compared to two RTs.
Thank you Bechkam! I did end up finding it! I was looking at the wrong date at first so that was throwing me off.

If you have trips with international day layovers and need advice on things to do, I am good at that so please let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.