Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WAS to HKG Upgradable $1500

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
This is actually pretty expensive out of the East Coast. JFK-HKG could be $800-$900 on CX even near Christmas. A flight from DCA-JFK should not cost more than a $100 ($75 OW or $150 RT most of the time). So this ticket via ORD (where anything that could go wrong WILL go wrong during winter time) for $1500 is pretty expensive IMO.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by blackmamba
This is actually pretty expensive out of the East Coast. JFK-HKG could be $800-$900 on CX even near Christmas. A flight from DCA-JFK should not cost more than a $100 ($75 OW or $150 RT most of the time). So this ticket via ORD (where anything that could go wrong WILL go wrong during winter time) for $1500 is pretty expensive IMO.
You are comparing apples and oranges. The inexpensive fares you are referring to can not be upgraded to business class with upgrade instruments. The more expensive W fare the OP referenced can be upgraded to business class with upgrade instruments.

The W fare rate of ~$1,500 for EWR-HKG has been readily availabe all year and is nothing unusual. I have been monitoring that route and have seen it for as low as $1,336 on select days.

SunLover
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Very good question. What is the threshold for W fares. I wouldn't mind seeing a compilation of destinations where W fares aren't outrageous. For example, I can name one or two European cities where W isn't that much more than K,L, etc.
Based on my limited experience with these fares,
As a guideline, I would say ~ 7.5cpm or $750ai for 10k miles flown.

I think this is the range that W fares become more interesting, just from a cpm standpoint.

Using NYC-HKG as an example, if you connect in SFO (JFK-SFO-HKG-SFO-JFK ~$1400ai) the cpm would be around 7.5. ** I am certainly not saying that you should fly this route (over the nonstop EWR-HKG for example) just to get the extra ~3k mileage. Again, I am ignoring other considerations when using a GPU (plane,length of flight,seat,upgrade space, etc.). **
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Based on my limited experience with these fares,
As a guideline, I would say ~ 7.5cpm or $750ai for 10k miles flown.

I think this is the range that W fares become more interesting, just from a cpm standpoint.

Using NYC-HKG as an example, if you connect in SFO (JFK-SFO-HKG-SFO-JFK ~$1400ai) the cpm would be around 7.5. ** I am certainly not saying that you should fly this route (over the nonstop EWR-HKG for example) just to get the extra ~3k mileage. Again, I am ignoring other considerations when using a GPU (plane,length of flight,seat,upgrade space, etc.). **
PS C isn't that bad though for domestic.
Also being on a pmUA route is better than pmCO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.