Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
People, please edit/use the wiki so same questions are not always asked.

The current CTA decision on the Yangon deal is only for tickets canceled by SWISS Airlines for the seven merged complaints/companions and tickets canceled by Jet Airways for one complainant and companions
- It's not about other carriers because each carrier submits different tariffs.
- If you are not one of the complainants or their companions above who were mentioned in the respective cases, you need to submit a case yourself for hearing.
- There's currently one person who is on Iberia for CTA decision, one can either wait for results or submit a complaint to CTA.

Result of the current case for LX in brief is:
- CTA found 5(F) in the tariff used to be unclear for canceling tickets on erroneously quoted fares.
- 5(F) is unjust and unreasonable and must be revised or taken down by July 9, 2013 (or SWISS can appeal by then)
- SWISS did not use its tariff correctly to cancel the tickets.
- SWISS must compensate one complainant's First Class ticket and any related expenses by July 18, 2013 provided with evidence.
- SWISS must transport other complainants (and their companions) in the original price charged with same booking class and routing by June 18, 2014.

Result of the current case for 9W in brief is:
- Tariff on file had no clauses for "erroneous fares" and was updated subsequently, which means it is not relevant to this event
- Therefore, 9W is to reinstate the tickets with a 1-year validity for transport between the same points and the same booking class.

CTA official news can be read here for general overview of the case.

Actual CTA case review can be found here for reference should you wish to file a complaint.

If you have a similar case that's with SWISS, you need to file with CTA to get a result through informal process first before it gets to formal process. The entire procedure can take up to 3 months for each and the result may not be same cause it's case-by-base and the reviewer of the case can be different.

To file an informal complaint with CTA, see here. Click through all of the pages to get to the online form for the informal complaint. Or click here.

To file a formal complaint after informal complaint has been closed, see here. Continue on to the next page to see the address or email address for the formal complaint.

The July 17th and 18th responses from LX can be found here:
Other Letters:

Feel free to add dates, flights, etc., in order to plan DOs, etc.

Aug 4: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 5: ICN-SFO (UA892)
Jason8612

Aug 7: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 11: ICN-NRT-ORD (UA78, UA882)
Jason8612

Aug 14: BOS-IAD-NRT-ICN (UA285, UA803, UA79)
Deltspygt

Aug 19: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA352)
Deltspygt

Oct 1: UA433-UA893
JeredF +1

Oct 8: UA892-UA242
JeredF +1

Oct 9: BOS-SFO-ICN (UA433, UA893)
BigJC

Oct 13: ICN-NRT-ORD-BOS (UA78, UA882, UA744)
BigJC

Oct 21: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
Sterndogg +1
flyerdude88 (SFO - ICN portion only)

Oct 23: ICN - SFO UA 892
flyerdude88

Oct 27: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-BOS UA286
Sterndogg +1

Nov 05: BOS-ORD UA521, ORD-NRT UA881
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 11: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-IAD UA727
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 26: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-NRT UA837, NRT-ICN UA79
thepla

Nov 27: BOS-ORD-NRT-ICN (UA501, UA881, UA196)
BigJC+1

Nov 29: Planning 2 days in TPE, been to ICN
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-ORD UA698, ORD-BOS UA961
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA822)
BigJC+1

Dec 15: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
songzm

Dec 25: BOS-IAD UA285, IAD-NRT UA803, NRT-ICN UA79
Dinoscool3 +2

Dec 30: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA444
songzm

Dec 31: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA770
Dinoscool3 +2

Jan 11: BOS-SFO UA1523, Jan 12: SFO-ICN UA893
margarita girl

Jan 12: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
Zebranz

14 Jan: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
ORDOGG

19 Jan: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-ORD UA698 to ORD-BOS UA961
ORDOGG

Jan 22: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA500
margarita girl

Feb 5: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA242
Zebranz

CMB-DFW EY F

FARE IS GONE

FARE RULES (thanks to SQ421)
FRTLK Fare Rules (RT)
FOWLK Fare Rules (OW)

WHEN ARE YOU FLYING?
Feel free to add any additional cities you're leaving from!
Please slot yourselves in!!!

ex-CMB
Feb

Mar
8 - Darmajaya
12 - Thaidai
22 - Deadinabsentia

Apr
21 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir
26 - tahsir21

May
28 - Upperdeck744
29 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

Jun
12 - lelee

Jul
7 - HansGolden +6
8 - arcticbull + 1
11 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: SIN-CMB, DFW-MCI)
25 - Tycosiao
30 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: MCI-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Aug
17 - DC777Fan
26 - Yi Yang
31 - dcas

Sep

Oct

Nov
8 - harryhv
29 - stephem+4

Dec
6 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. roastpuff , JFKEZE (UL Code-share)
7 - DWFI
10 - jlisi984 + dad (CMB-AUH-DFW)
21 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

ex-AUH
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr
27 - RICHKLHS

May

Jun
29 - yerffej201

Jul
9 - HansGolden +6
27 - Tycosiao

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
30 - stephem+4 (to JFK)

Dec
7 - JFKEZE, DWFI [EY161 nonstop]
9 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. Roastpuff

ex-DFW
Jan

Feb

Mar
14 - Thaidai
15 - zainman +1

Apr
25 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir

May

Jun

Jul

Aug
22 - arcticbull + 1

Sep
22 - bonsaisai (positioning flights ORD-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Oct

Nov
19 - harryhv->Paris

Dec
19 - Yi Yang, jona970318
24 - DWFI (EY160 nonstop)
26 - HansGolden +6 (CDG), LwoodY2K (AUH)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
With MR's you book now and think later.
What I meant to say is you don't book mistake fares with the intent to refund.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
My LX (non-US) ticket is still active. I don't really expect it to stay active, but it is as of right now.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck
My LX (non-US) ticket is still active. I don't really expect it to stay active, but it is as of right now.
Same here. Wait a week and see.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by yerffej201
What I meant to say is you don't book mistake fares with the intent to refund.
I might go on both of mine and I might not. I know mine are refundable so I have 8 month to decide if I'm going or not (if they are not cancelled by the OTA before). Were you referring to people with zero intent?

Obviously the best rule is to not spend more than your willing to lose but if its refundable, why not book far out in advance and cancel if it doesn't work out? I'm sure all parties involved will be very aware of the situation long before i ever decide what I'm going to do
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Not necessarily but changing the ticket would result in a fare recalculation and that would be ugly.
Originally Posted by holtju2
Fully flexible means that there likely no fees for cancelling the ticket. Fully flexible doesn't mean that there wouldn't be HIP checks if you are tying to switch transits to stopovers.

You really shouldn't be booking tickets such as these if you are lacking the most basic knowledge of these issues. And these have been discussed ad nauseam.
I believe there are reports from Round 1 of people doing date changes to remainder of ticket in BKK after flying first leg.

In fact, I believe that is the rule for fully flex ticket: fares are never re-calced after first leg is flown.

Excellent summary:
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I just want to chime in here and give a few answers, as there to be quite a few people on here who are new to these fares this time around.

1) These fares are being flown every day. In fact, on some flights at the minute there can be half a dozen FTers in the KE F cabin on the same flight as so many tickets from round 1 and 2 were purchased.

2) The staff at RGN are aware of these tickets. They will not be surprised when you present yourself for boarding.

3) You can transit in RGN, provided you're flying AAA-RGN-CCC (please note that AAA-RGN-AAA is NOT a transit and you may well be denied boarding without a visa.
Despite the fact you CAN transit, it doesn't mean you should. RGN is not set up for transit, and it involves human intervention, which is what you want to avoid wherever possible on these fares. Getting a visa is pretty simple and you should get one to avoid all doubt. Visa on arrival is currently only available for business travellers. You can use a visa company (like Myanmar Visa), who will meet you off your inbound flight, but you may have an issue convincing whichever carrier is taking you to RGN to let you on without a proper visa. If you are doing multiple RGN flights in a tight timeframe, however, this option is the best one.
The visa situation is changing daily, so just because this is correct today doesn't mean it will be correct next week.

4) Most of the airlines in round 3 are the same as those in rounds 1 and 2, so almost all will have seen these tickets before. SQ may be the exception, but as I don't think any tickets are on SQ stock, they shouldn't be too bothered about it as they will still be getting paid from whichever airline's stock the ticket is on.

5) You will not be able to change these tickets before you travel. There have been cases where a dumb agent has been convinced to make a change, but generally you're going to be told (correctly) that any changes (including adding stopovers) will trigger a reprice of the fare. Ordinarily this will not change the fare on a fully flex F ticket, as it's already a full price ticket, but with these fares the recalculation will be done at the current fare and not the historical fare (there's a grey area here, but this is why the airlines are doing and you won't change that) so you'll be presented with a fare difference of $10k+.
Once you have flown the first leg of the fare, the rules apply without a reprice. Adding stopover and changing flights should be possible, but, as always with these fares, don't bank on it. People have reported success changing these fares once they have flown out of RGN but people have also reporting coming up against militant agents who simply refuse. One FTer reported being told "you're flying RTW for the cost of a bus ticket, don't call us again" before being hung up on.

6) Airlines are scared of DOT enforcement. The best example of this is from round 1 where KE cancelled all fares which involved travel in their F suites. People made DOT complaints and within a week the OTAs were contacting pax to ask if they'd like the fare reinstating at the original price paid. KE would rather have their F suites half full of FTers for the best part of a year than pay DOT fines.
Based on KE's history with mistake fares and cancelling them even up to a week before travel with nothing more than a "go eff yourself", this is a significant step. Other airlines have taken a similar stance; DL, who also have a less than savoury history with fares like these, didn't cancel a single ticket on their stock even in round one. Such is their fear of the DOT fines.

7) EU compensation laws are largely irrelevant. Even if you were entitled to 600€ if denied boarding, you'd struggle to get yourself home with that money. That said, your odds of being denied boarding once you have flown the first segment are remote, and it hasn't happened (AFAIK) to any of the FTers flying round 1 and 2 fares.

8) Even fares which do not touch the US are being flown. RGN-JNB via various routes were available, and has been flown hundreds of times. This doesn't mean that all non-US fares will be honoured, just that there is a precedent for them being flown.

As someone who has flown one of the round 1 fares, and now has 4 more upcoming trips, I feel that I know enough about this to comment. I've also followed the original thread about round 1 and 2 fares from post #1, so a lot of these questions have been answered there.
Hopefully this will clear up a lot of the questions being asked by those who are new to these fares.

EDIT: These are, mostly, fully flex F fares. They are therefore fully refundable. Any problems with your OTA just ask them to look at the fare code. They CAN, however, charge you their own cancellation fees, which can vary from anywhere between £0 and £200, depending on the OTA. This will be in their T&Cs.
--

Originally Posted by Spiff
FF award to SIN, BKK, ...
Why not all the way to RGN? StarAlliance has four (almost 5 with EVA) airlines into RGN, SkyTeam has four, and OneWorld will have one (MH) in Q1 2013.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My tickets were issued by TL on SQ stock. The only pending charges I have on my credit card are from TL. SQ has yet to charge. Given that the tickets were issued more than 24 hours ago, I view this as a bad sign.
That's not a bad sign. If you were issued ticket numbers, you're golden. Often with tickets, there will be an initial authorization which will show on your CC if you have a bank with real-time info (like Chase), but then the charge might totally disappear for a few days before it re-appears as a charge (rather than simply an authorization). That is SOP with regular tickets and I wouldn't worry if that's the pattern on this one.

Originally Posted by Spiff
When it comes to Air Asia, do yourself a favor: fly someone else.
Obviously opinion-based, but IME they are quite a pleasant experience for an LCC--really on par with a US domestic Y class as a kettle.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What I don't get in my head is how people can consider flying in Y all the way to RGN just to fly F back to YUL. But I guess to each his own.
I'm flying to Tokyo on the UA 787 DEN-NRT inaugural (which I have a GPU waitlisted for, but not much hope of clearing) in B-class for ~$600 RT. I'm abandoning the return: basically losing $300, but not worth the time gone from home to fly back to US and then back to Asia. I'll take a biz award from NRT to RGN (it's actually a bit more complicated than that).

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Sure, for most people it made absolutely no sense to buy these tickets, yet some bought multiples.
Actually, having multiples makes it make much more sense because you only have to position once. I'm positioning as described above, then I'm doing an RT RGN-YUL with the return (YUL-RGN) for some months after the outbound. That links up with a OW RGN-YUL. Thus, for $2.6k, I have 1.5 RTs in F, 0.5 RT on UA 787 in Y waitlisted for C, 68k EQMs toward 1k requal, two trips to Asia, 151,550 RDM, and I spent basically 30k on NRT-RGN in biz. Counting my B-class RT in which I'm ditching the return (which drags down the CPM), I'm doing 1.7 CPM per RDM and 3.8 CPM per PQM. MRing in F is pretty rational at those CPMs, even though I'm on the expensive end. For those that didn't pay a premium (~$700/EW) and paid more like $200-300 e/w, the math is even better.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: aa
LX First

I have a F ticket on Lx stock and operated by Lx and I expect LX will honor it. Keeping these types of tickets will not cost them much as F is rarely filled with revenue passengers anyway. Not keeping it might mean a bad publicity for the company especially after 2 similar errors this year. I keep my hope high!

Originally Posted by colpuck
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:03 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Why not all the way to RGN? StarAlliance has four (almost 5 with EVA) airlines into RGN, SkyTeam has four, and OneWorld will have one (MH) in Q1 2013.
If you can find availability, great. Otherwise, other cities are convenient jumping-off points.

Obviously opinion-based, but IME they are quite a pleasant experience for an LCC--really on par with a US domestic Y class as a kettle.
As is your assessment. Air Asia is a very poor airline in my experience. And at KUL they are out in the boonies at the "LCC terminal", at Bangkok they're at DMK. Plus, no FF miles and a crummy online check-in experience if one buys a last-minute ticket. I think they stink.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I might go on both of mine and I might not. I know mine are refundable so I have 8 month to decide if I'm going or not (if they are not cancelled by the OTA before). Were you referring to people with zero intent?

Obviously the best rule is to not spend more than your willing to lose but if its refundable, why not book far out in advance and cancel if it doesn't work out? I'm sure all parties involved will be very aware of the situation long before i ever decide what I'm going to do
Yes that's what I mean.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lubo_lou
I have a F ticket on Lx stock and operated by Lx and I expect LX will honor it. Keeping these types of tickets will not cost them much as F is rarely filled with revenue passengers anyway. Not keeping it might mean a bad publicity for the company especially after 2 similar errors this year. I keep my hope high!
They still get paid more from mileage redemptions though.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:06 pm

There were two other errors?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by markus_see
RGN-KUL 1215-1630 MH
KUL-SIN 1930-2025 MH
SIN-FRA 2355-0625+1 SQ
FRA-ZRH 0950-1025 LX
ZRH-YUL 1250-1515 LX

All I need is they issue boarding pass to me until FRA.
Second passport waiting for me in EU?? Hmmmm..... this is tricky. Do u think they will fall for that? Risky for me.

My ticket is issued by SQ.

I was hoping, maybe while transit in SIN (provided if MH issue me boarding passes from RGN-KUL-SIN) I make date change for FRA-ZRH-YUL leg with SQ since its "their ticket". I dont mind if they forfeit that LX sector too.

Please advise. Thanks!
Wow interesting... I have the same itinerary but without the FRA-ZRH. Didn't know that worked (and did not try - stupid me). Stuck with a LX issued ticket right now but honestly I would prefer SQ stock.

I would say forget about the date change, SQ is diligent and will catch the HIP. That was one of the reasons why the open jaw ZRH-YUL seemed to be nice, maybe they don't catch it and I can do the change.

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Sep 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
...If you were issued ticket numbers, you're golden. Often with tickets, there will be an initial authorization which will show on your CC if you have a bank with real-time info (like Chase), but then the charge might totally disappear for a few days before it re-appears as a charge (rather than simply an authorization). That is SOP with regular tickets and I wouldn't worry if that's the pattern on this one

Did you not read what I wrote: I got one out of five tickets cancelled! The ticket doesn't mean you are safe!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Did you not read what I wrote: I got one out of five tickets cancelled! The ticket doesn't mean you are safe!
Did you let the DOT know?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Did you let the DOT know?
Not yet but I will, believe me, I will.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
While generally true, I invite you to check availability through the next 12 months following this "sale". I think you might find F is a lot fuller than usual on LX/LH/SQ and, to a lesser degree, NH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.