Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
People, please edit/use the wiki so same questions are not always asked.

The current CTA decision on the Yangon deal is only for tickets canceled by SWISS Airlines for the seven merged complaints/companions and tickets canceled by Jet Airways for one complainant and companions
- It's not about other carriers because each carrier submits different tariffs.
- If you are not one of the complainants or their companions above who were mentioned in the respective cases, you need to submit a case yourself for hearing.
- There's currently one person who is on Iberia for CTA decision, one can either wait for results or submit a complaint to CTA.

Result of the current case for LX in brief is:
- CTA found 5(F) in the tariff used to be unclear for canceling tickets on erroneously quoted fares.
- 5(F) is unjust and unreasonable and must be revised or taken down by July 9, 2013 (or SWISS can appeal by then)
- SWISS did not use its tariff correctly to cancel the tickets.
- SWISS must compensate one complainant's First Class ticket and any related expenses by July 18, 2013 provided with evidence.
- SWISS must transport other complainants (and their companions) in the original price charged with same booking class and routing by June 18, 2014.

Result of the current case for 9W in brief is:
- Tariff on file had no clauses for "erroneous fares" and was updated subsequently, which means it is not relevant to this event
- Therefore, 9W is to reinstate the tickets with a 1-year validity for transport between the same points and the same booking class.

CTA official news can be read here for general overview of the case.

Actual CTA case review can be found here for reference should you wish to file a complaint.

If you have a similar case that's with SWISS, you need to file with CTA to get a result through informal process first before it gets to formal process. The entire procedure can take up to 3 months for each and the result may not be same cause it's case-by-base and the reviewer of the case can be different.

To file an informal complaint with CTA, see here. Click through all of the pages to get to the online form for the informal complaint. Or click here.

To file a formal complaint after informal complaint has been closed, see here. Continue on to the next page to see the address or email address for the formal complaint.

The July 17th and 18th responses from LX can be found here:
Other Letters:

Feel free to add dates, flights, etc., in order to plan DOs, etc.

Aug 4: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 5: ICN-SFO (UA892)
Jason8612

Aug 7: SFO-ICN (UA893)
Jason8612

Aug 11: ICN-NRT-ORD (UA78, UA882)
Jason8612

Aug 14: BOS-IAD-NRT-ICN (UA285, UA803, UA79)
Deltspygt

Aug 19: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA352)
Deltspygt

Oct 1: UA433-UA893
JeredF +1

Oct 8: UA892-UA242
JeredF +1

Oct 9: BOS-SFO-ICN (UA433, UA893)
BigJC

Oct 13: ICN-NRT-ORD-BOS (UA78, UA882, UA744)
BigJC

Oct 21: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
Sterndogg +1
flyerdude88 (SFO - ICN portion only)

Oct 23: ICN - SFO UA 892
flyerdude88

Oct 27: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-BOS UA286
Sterndogg +1

Nov 05: BOS-ORD UA521, ORD-NRT UA881
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 11: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-IAD UA727
kokonutz, I012609, BingoSF +1

Nov 26: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-NRT UA837, NRT-ICN UA79
thepla

Nov 27: BOS-ORD-NRT-ICN (UA501, UA881, UA196)
BigJC+1

Nov 29: Planning 2 days in TPE, been to ICN
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-ORD UA698, ORD-BOS UA961
thepla

Dec 1: ICN-NRT-IAD-BOS (UA78, UA804, UA822)
BigJC+1

Dec 15: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
songzm

Dec 25: BOS-IAD UA285, IAD-NRT UA803, NRT-ICN UA79
Dinoscool3 +2

Dec 30: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA444
songzm

Dec 31: ICN-SFO UA892, SFO-BOS UA770
Dinoscool3 +2

Jan 11: BOS-SFO UA1523, Jan 12: SFO-ICN UA893
margarita girl

Jan 12: BOS-SFO UA433, SFO-ICN UA893
Zebranz

14 Jan: BOS-SFO UA433 to SFO-ICN UA893
ORDOGG

19 Jan: ICN-SFO UA892 to SFO-ORD UA698 to ORD-BOS UA961
ORDOGG

Jan 22: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA500
margarita girl

Feb 5: ICN-SFO UA892 SFO-BOS UA242
Zebranz

CMB-DFW EY F

FARE IS GONE

FARE RULES (thanks to SQ421)
FRTLK Fare Rules (RT)
FOWLK Fare Rules (OW)

WHEN ARE YOU FLYING?
Feel free to add any additional cities you're leaving from!
Please slot yourselves in!!!

ex-CMB
Feb

Mar
8 - Darmajaya
12 - Thaidai
22 - Deadinabsentia

Apr
21 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir
26 - tahsir21

May
28 - Upperdeck744
29 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

Jun
12 - lelee

Jul
7 - HansGolden +6
8 - arcticbull + 1
11 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: SIN-CMB, DFW-MCI)
25 - Tycosiao
30 - bonsaisai's friend (positioning flights: MCI-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Aug
17 - DC777Fan
26 - Yi Yang
31 - dcas

Sep

Oct

Nov
8 - harryhv
29 - stephem+4

Dec
6 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. roastpuff , JFKEZE (UL Code-share)
7 - DWFI
10 - jlisi984 + dad (CMB-AUH-DFW)
21 - bonsaisai (positioning flights SIN-CMB, DFW-ORD)

ex-AUH
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr
27 - RICHKLHS

May

Jun
29 - yerffej201

Jul
9 - HansGolden +6
27 - Tycosiao

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
30 - stephem+4 (to JFK)

Dec
7 - JFKEZE, DWFI [EY161 nonstop]
9 - roastpuff and (soon) Mrs. Roastpuff

ex-DFW
Jan

Feb

Mar
14 - Thaidai
15 - zainman +1

Apr
25 - SQ421, penegal, jozdemir

May

Jun

Jul

Aug
22 - arcticbull + 1

Sep
22 - bonsaisai (positioning flights ORD-DFW, CMB-SIN)

Oct

Nov
19 - harryhv->Paris

Dec
19 - Yi Yang, jona970318
24 - DWFI (EY160 nonstop)
26 - HansGolden +6 (CDG), LwoodY2K (AUH)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Clearly you are unaware of the instances a few years back when SQ were denying travel ex-CMB to pax holding otherwise perfectly valid tickets (not mistake fares..) but which had, in their eyes, violated the ticketing rules..
Yes, I was unaware of that.
But I still can't imagine they will deny boarding to soooo many passengers.
The majority seems to have SQ legs and/or SQ issued tickets.
If they do so you should grab a chair, sit down right in front of the SQ counter and watch the show for the next 9 months
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
A few facts

I just want to chime in here and give a few answers, as there to be quite a few people on here who are new to these fares this time around.

1) These fares are being flown every day. In fact, on some flights at the minute there can be half a dozen FTers in the KE F cabin on the same flight as so many tickets from round 1 and 2 were purchased.

2) The staff at RGN are aware of these tickets. They will not be surprised when you present yourself for boarding.

3) You can transit in RGN, provided you're flying AAA-RGN-CCC (please note that AAA-RGN-AAA is NOT a transit and you may well be denied boarding without a visa.
Despite the fact you CAN transit, it doesn't mean you should. RGN is not set up for transit, and it involves human intervention, which is what you want to avoid wherever possible on these fares. Getting a visa is pretty simple and you should get one to avoid all doubt. Visa on arrival is currently only available for business travellers. You can use a visa company (like Myanmar Visa), who will meet you off your inbound flight, but you may have an issue convincing whichever carrier is taking you to RGN to let you on without a proper visa. If you are doing multiple RGN flights in a tight timeframe, however, this option is the best one.
The visa situation is changing daily, so just because this is correct today doesn't mean it will be correct next week.

4) Most of the airlines in round 3 are the same as those in rounds 1 and 2, so almost all will have seen these tickets before. SQ may be the exception, but as I don't think any tickets are on SQ stock, they shouldn't be too bothered about it as they will still be getting paid from whichever airline's stock the ticket is on.

5) You will not be able to change these tickets before you travel. There have been cases where a dumb agent has been convinced to make a change, but generally you're going to be told (correctly) that any changes (including adding stopovers) will trigger a reprice of the fare. Ordinarily this will not change the fare on a fully flex F ticket, as it's already a full price ticket, but with these fares the recalculation will be done at the current fare and not the historical fare (there's a grey area here, but this is why the airlines are doing and you won't change that) so you'll be presented with a fare difference of $10k+.
Once you have flown the first leg of the fare, the rules apply without a reprice. Adding stopover and changing flights should be possible, but, as always with these fares, don't bank on it. People have reported success changing these fares once they have flown out of RGN but people have also reporting coming up against militant agents who simply refuse. One FTer reported being told "you're flying RTW for the cost of a bus ticket, don't call us again" before being hung up on.

6) Airlines are scared of DOT enforcement. The best example of this is from round 1 where KE cancelled all fares which involved travel in their F suites. People made DOT complaints and within a week the OTAs were contacting pax to ask if they'd like the fare reinstating at the original price paid. KE would rather have their F suites half full of FTers for the best part of a year than pay DOT fines.
Based on KE's history with mistake fares and cancelling them even up to a week before travel with nothing more than a "go eff yourself", this is a significant step. Other airlines have taken a similar stance; DL, who also have a less than savoury history with fares like these, didn't cancel a single ticket on their stock even in round one. Such is their fear of the DOT fines.

7) EU compensation laws are largely irrelevant. Even if you were entitled to 600€ if denied boarding, you'd struggle to get yourself home with that money. That said, your odds of being denied boarding once you have flown the first segment are remote, and it hasn't happened (AFAIK) to any of the FTers flying round 1 and 2 fares.

8) Even fares which do not touch the US are being flown. RGN-JNB via various routes were available, and has been flown hundreds of times. This doesn't mean that all non-US fares will be honoured, just that there is a precedent for them being flown.

As someone who has flown one of the round 1 fares, and now has 4 more upcoming trips, I feel that I know enough about this to comment. I've also followed the original thread about round 1 and 2 fares from post #1, so a lot of these questions have been answered there.
Hopefully this will clear up a lot of the questions being asked by those who are new to these fares.

EDIT: These are, mostly, fully flex F fares. They are therefore fully refundable. Any problems with your OTA just ask them to look at the fare code. They CAN, however, charge you their own cancellation fees, which can vary from anywhere between 0 and 200, depending on the OTA. This will be in their T&Cs.

Last edited by Wozza2404; Sep 29, 2012 at 4:47 am
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: AA, United, Delta, Marriott, HH, Hyatt
Just asking if the tickets booked from TL are fully refundable after 24 hours of booking or not ?
Cause TL said its non refundable in the itinerary, but is booked in F bucket.
If incase want to cancel later , will I receive a full refund ?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Edited my post above to answer that Q.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
SQ may be the exception, but as I don't think any tickets are on SQ stock,
Just as a data point: I do have one on SQ 618 stock.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:00 am

4) Most of the airlines in round 3 are the same as those in rounds 1 and 2, so almost all will have seen these tickets before. SQ may be the exception, but as I don't think any tickets are on SQ stock, they shouldn't be too bothered about it as they will still be getting paid from whichever airline's stock the ticket is on.
No, that's the point here. There ARE tickets on SQ stock.
SQ will have to fly me in suites for free and pay CA,MU and LX...
We'll see how that plays out.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That kind of thing generally won't work because of the HIP check that is tied to stopovers rather than to connections (sub-24 hours in such international case) -- usually changing from such a connection to stopover would increase the cost a big chunk and result in an add-collect for the change to be made to the ticket. That said, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Actually, I plan to ditch the leg from ZRH to YUL since I am located in Europe. I think this should not be a problem.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:17 am

Thank you very much Wozza2404 for great explanation for newbies like myself.
I booked two of RGN-KUL-SIN-LHR-YUL with SQ Suite (and caviar) for my fiancee and me.
The tickets are on SQ stock.
We got engaged in SQ F earlier, and I hope she will enjoy this upcoming suite ride.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:21 am

Regardless, I don't see SQ cancelling. If KE honoured the fares with their history, I can't see SQ doing anything different. If they do, it will be in the next 48 hours or so, and I imagine they'd be reinstated within a week or so after DOT intervention.

It's also worth mentioning that I think there a lot more tickets on IB, MH, etc. stock which include travel on SQ than on SQ stock. I reckon SQ may actually benefit.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:42 am

How much are people paying ex-us to position for these ex-rgn flights? Secondly, i think dot intervention is only if a piece of your itinerary touches the usa. I don't think the majority does so they can probably tell you to go screw yourself. Plus I doubt SIN govt cares as SQ is state-owned.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:05 am

Thanks, Wozza! Anyone else in this situation - ticketed by UL through tl.com and have all my confirmation numbers and ticket numbers, but tl still does not even have a pending charge on my card. It is just the $10.99 tl fee.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:06 am

hmmm...

Last edited by waver99; Jul 26, 2013 at 4:50 am Reason: ....
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by nas6034
How much are people paying ex-us to position for these ex-rgn flights?
FF award to SIN, BKK, ...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:08 am

2) The staff at RGN are aware of these tickets. They will not be surprised when you present yourself for boarding.

3) You can transit in RGN, provided you're flying AAA-RGN-CCC (please note that AAA-RGN-AAA is NOT a transit and you may well be denied boarding without a visa.
Despite the fact you CAN transit, it doesn't mean you should. RGN is not set up for transit, and it involves human intervention, which is what you want to avoid wherever possible on these fares.
I don't really get this bit. If the folks there are already well aware then what is wrong with a transit visa on arrival? Also the Myanmar Embassy here in Canberra already told me that on arrival visas are available for transit as well- not just business. Not too sure if that's true though.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Just as a data point: I do have one on SQ 618 stock.
Mine also ticketed on SQ 618 stock. Booked on travelocity.com with the following routing:

RGN-KUL MH J
KUL-SIN MH J
SIN-LHR SQ F
LHR-YUL BA J

No US sector so won't be protected by DOT but at US$533 it was worth a go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.