Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR from Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmdsea
Whilst I would agree that KF might not be the best choice for FF program I would beg to disagree that UA is a better choice..

I have been a UA (and KF) member for the last 10 years and traditionally UA mileage plus has been my default choice. I have always achieved *Gold with them every year.

However following their merger with Continental the picture is not so rosy..

1) Economy Plus for my 2 or 3 trips to the US annually used to be a big draw. However with their mixed fleet of ex-UA (with economy plus) and ex-CO (without) its too much of a lottery for my liking. Apart form Economy Plus seating they are really a pretty awful airline..

2) They have downgraded Mileage Plus so that elite tiers now earn less mileage bonus. I am Prem Plat and used to get 200% mileage credit but those days are gone..

3) There are zero options for earning UA top up miles in Singapore ie, no credit cards. Frustrating if you are a couple of hundred miles short of an award and have no choice but to take a flight to try and earn some miles..

4) Due to Starnet blocking, redemptions on SQ available to other FF programs within Star Alliance are far more limited than those available to KF members.

You dont mention how many miles you fly in a year. Do you reach Star Gold or higher.?

If you do, then Thai Airways would be my program of choice as status last 2 years and you get a round trip Y-J or J-F upgrade which is potentially quite valuable.. You can get ROP points off the citibank Premiermiles VISA.

If you dont, then i would just stick with KF. The increased award availability and 15% online booking discount is quite a valuable perk. You can earn KF miles from both the Citibank card and also the DBS Altitude card. This can be used to pay PUB bills etc and you might be suprised how many miles you can rack up for everyday transactions.

Finally whatever you do, make sure you accrue enough miles within your existing KF account to redeem for an award. Having got this far there is no point just leaving some orphaned miles to expire.... The cheapest Star Alliance mileage runs (day turn) I have found out of Sg are either TG SIN-BKK-SIN or UA SIN-HKG-SIN but neither are very appealing..
Originally Posted by sporadic
1) They are a pretty awful airline, but their mileage accrual and redemption options rock. Perhaps, to get quick Star Alliance Gold status, 19k miles on Aegean Airlines would work too

3) Miles can be purchased to top off accounts (I'm not sure about SIN-based flyers, but I'm able to buy them since I started out in the US).

4) Don't just limit redemption options to SQ. Went through the First Class Terminal at FRA when flying LH F. Loved the Porsche taking me out to the tarmac to board the plane. Flying TG F through BKK gets an hour's spa massage at the BKK Spa Lounge. Sure, The Private Room at the SKL in SIN would be lovely, though I've never made it in there. But BKK and FRA - there are many lovely experiences to be had too! Plus, award F on the TG/LH A380s are at least available in contrast to the SQ A380 Suites (and for a much lower mileage redemption rate).

The American Express Membership Rewards cards also provide options to transfer to KF, as a side note.
3) Miles can be purchased to top off accounts (I'm not sure about SIN-based flyers, but I'm able to buy them since I started out in the US).

Yes. That option is available to all, not just US based members. Kinda expensive though..

Agree that LH and TG are good redemption choices in F (My favourite is the new F on the 747 where you get a proper seat and a proper bed.. ;-) but these are options that would be open to all carriers within the *A program...
Wow, thanks a bunch for the reply!

I guess I will stick on KF for the moment..

But I found that fares on SQ are quite expensive though, is it possible to have quite an "acceptable" MR on SQ?

One more thing, if I'm only a KF member, does that limit my redemption on SQ alone?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
One more thing, if I'm only a KF member, does that limit my redemption on SQ alone?

No you can use KF miles to redeem an award on any Star Alliance alliance as well as partner airlines (Air India, Virgin Atlantic & Virgin Australia) But its only when you redeem on SQ that you get the 15% discount and better access to SQ flight availability than other *A partners

More info here

http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsc..._RoundTrip.pdf

However as PP pointed out. SQ have high surcharges and fees for redemptions so MP or M&M might be better options if you expect to travel more on partners than SQ..
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:27 am

No you can use KF miles to redeem an award on any Star Alliance alliance as well as partner airlines (Air India, Virgin Atlantic & Virgin Australia) But its only when you redeem on SQ that you get the 15% discount and better access to SQ flight availability than other *A partners

More info here

http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsc..._RoundTrip.pdf

However as PP pointed out. SQ have high surcharges and fees for redemptions so MP or M&M might be better options if you expect to travel more on partners than SQ..
Yeah, UA and US (unsure about other airlines in *A) do not charge any fuel surcharges, unlike SQ. The 15% online discount for booking with miles is still extremely high though. For example, SIN-USA flights on F redemptions cost 225k miles roundtrip, which will drop down to 191k with the 15% discount. Redeeming through UA is only 140000 in comparison. SIN-Europe on SQ is 215k, or 183k after discount. Through UA, it's only 160k (or 140k, if your final destination is the US and Europe is a "stopover destination"). Add in fuel surcharges and redemption on SQ is worse both financially and in terms of mileage expenditure.

Now, if only Points.com could engineer trades for KF miles... I have 2200 orphaned miles on KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.