Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need 36k on AA to renew PLT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum

Hi folks, I need 36k to requalify for PLT. It has to be on OW.

I have no more up coming trips. I have my own biz so time is not a factor. I just can't be away for too long but I can leave on any day of the week.

I will be leaving from jfk/lga. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
Being that far away, you might be better off waiting for the (almost) inevitable buyback offer in January. You can search for it, but I think that for platinum with less than 40k EQMs, it's around $700 (give or take)?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by wireless_999
Hi folks, I need 36k to requalify for PLT. It has to be on OW.

I have no more up coming trips. I have my own biz so time is not a factor. I just can't be away for too long but I can leave on any day of the week.

I will be leaving from jfk/lga. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
You have until Dec. 31 to requalify, correct? Seems like plenty of time. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Yes

you are correct but I was searching for any suggestions anyone might have. I rather get it done with now vs. waiting towards the end of the year. Thanks.

The buyback won't be an option for me as I just re-purchased it for this year. I just love having the perks of PLT so want to requalify.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Gld; DL Plat; UA Gld;Bonvoy Titanium4Life; Hyatt Silver;

I just saw an e-mail from CX offering JFK-HKG for $880 ai. At 16,112 miles that's about .05cpm, and if you can handle it, same day turns are available. It's in Q, but I don't know if that gets you your AA EQM. Good luck, buying it might be both cheaper and easier than two of those 32 hour adventures, but it's not nearly as good a story!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Got that as well

Unfortunately I am not willing to do JFK-HKG in Y. I do it twice a year in F. I have done it in Y before and just can't handle it.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
There is a blogger who does these long-winded MRs. I think he searches on ITA and looks at long trips that maximizes the miles at the same ticket price. Out of JFK, I would try to do a few transcon flights, connecting first through another east coast city (e.g. BOS, RDU or MIA) and then connecting at ORD or DFW and then adding a SFO-LAX at the end for extra miles. You probably need to do at least 4-5 of these RT MR to get your 36K EQM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
max budget?

i would wait til sept/oct & hope for a 2x eqm promo & perhaps lower fares....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Time traveller
There is a blogger who does these long-winded MRs. I think he searches on ITA and looks at long trips that maximizes the miles at the same ticket price. Out of JFK, I would try to do a few transcon flights, connecting first through another east coast city (e.g. BOS, RDU or MIA) and then connecting at ORD or DFW and then adding a SFO-LAX at the end for extra miles. You probably need to do at least 4-5 of these RT MR to get your 36K EQM.
If the OP does not want to do long hauls in Y then its seven transcons adding a city in such as SFO or BOS. Or the OP could do four LGA/DFW/ANC. Either way the OP is going to be spending some big bucks for just PLT.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Originally Posted by wireless_999
Unfortunately I am not willing to do JFK-HKG in Y. I do it twice a year in F. I have done it in Y before and just can't handle it.
JFK - HKG X2 in F will give you approximately 48,336 points. (caluculated using actual mileage plus 1.5 points per mile flown if booked in A or F). You claim you need 36K miles, which means you've earned 14K EQMs thus far in 2012. Something isn't adding up.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I do it twice a year in F

using AA miles.

Originally Posted by startpacking
JFK - HKG X2 in F will give you approximately 48,336 points. (caluculated using actual mileage plus 1.5 points per mile flown if booked in A or F). You claim you need 36K miles, which means you've earned 14K EQMs thus far in 2012. Something isn't adding up.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I appreciate it.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:22 pm

You might want to do a cost-benefit analysis here. For 14k miles of real flying, you could probably buy most of the perks that PLT gets you for less than 36k of mileage runs would cost. That being said, I wouldn't discourage you as long as you enjoy the pursuit!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mathlete
Being that far away, you might be better off waiting for the (almost) inevitable buyback offer in January. You can search for it, but I think that for platinum with less than 40k EQMs, it's around $700 (give or take)?
I wouldn't wait for and hope for a buy-back. I'd look for flights to ensure I get there instead of waiting/wondering if a buy-back will be offered. What if AA doesn't offer a buy-back this year? Or if they do but the reuirements are above the OPs EQM/EQP. The only way to be sure is to hit the requirements of the program.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
I wouldn't wait for and hope for a buy-back. I'd look for flights to ensure I get there instead of waiting/wondering if a buy-back will be offered. What if AA doesn't offer a buy-back this year? Or if they do but the reuirements are above the OPs EQM/EQP. The only way to be sure is to hit the requirements of the program.
Well, for the OP buyback is not an option. But from your perspective I'd feel like in the rare chance a buyback is not offered as it has for many years now, I'd rather fly 36k miles in early 2013 to put me within spitting distance of PLT for two years than do it now for just one year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.