Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you pay to upgrade a MR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold

Hello all. I have a MR coming up on US. For the domestic segments, upgrades are free, so I will take whatever they give me. For the TATL segments, I would have to pay ($400 I think) to upgrade to envoy. Since this obviously kills the cpm, would any MRs here do it? It would make the overnight flight better, but it is only scheduled for 6:50 and is on a 767. I think it's a bad idea but it sounds so fun...... Thoughts?

Last edited by gwar69; Feb 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:30 am

Everyone's valuation is different so don't expect a cookie-cutter solution.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
can you do the ug w/rdm?.....is it worth ~ $50/hour to sit in front?.....look in the mirror for your answer.....
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: VA Gold
Just measure time vs cost and think to yourself if it's worth it. You're the only one who can judge!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Yes. I won't fly more than an hour in Y. Too old, too fat, too spoiled.

Yes, it destroys the cpm, but it makes me comfortable ... Esp'ly on a TATL flight!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Yes. I won't fly more than an hour in Y. Too old, too fat, too spoiled.

Yes, it destroys the cpm, but it makes me comfortable ... Esp'ly on a TATL flight!
Although I am not quite there yet, I understand these sentiments entirely. As another example now I am in my mid 50s I wont stop at a Motel 6 unless absolutely desperate. I like my creature comforts. Similarly an eastbound TATL - I personally would be very tempted to pay 400 dollars.

Only you know.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
IMO you won't get the most use out of a business class seat for a 6:50 flight. You'll get a better meal service which takes 30 to 45 mins. Maybe you want to watch a movie. That means you'll only get about 4-5 hours of shut-eye for $400.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Right on, I didn't expect a simple answer. The $400 figure is just right such that if it was higher I wouldn't consider it, and if it was less it would be a no-brainer. I'm still (kind of) young and will probably rough it in Y. It's just a little hard to take US Y after my last trip (not a MR obviously) was on LH F.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
I believe that is quite a bargain

I was just offered 99 from las-sfo and sfo-ord 300 on lie flat seats via United.
I used a Regional Certificate but hey if you got the money the comfort is worth it.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
Personally no, as you are taking a mileage run, the sole point of which is to minimize the amount you are paying for miles. If your overall cost amounts to ticket price + $400 upgrade, why don't you just instead book a few trips domestic, and then rely on your free domestic upgrades?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gwar69
Hello all. I have a MR coming up on US. For the domestic segments, upgrades are free, so I will take whatever they give me. For the TATL segments, I would have to pay ($400 I think) to upgrade to envoy. Since this obviously kills the cpm, would any MRs here do it? It would make the overmight flight better, but it is only scheduled for 6:50 and is on a 767. I think it's a bad idea but it sounds so fun...... Thoughts?
You'll be sleeping most of the time regardless of cabin, so I would do it in Y.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by broms
Personally no, as you are taking a mileage run, the sole point of which is to minimize the amount you are paying for miles. If your overall cost amounts to ticket price + $400 upgrade, why don't you just instead book a few trips domestic, and then rely on your free domestic upgrades?
I'm unlikely to get upgrades on longer domestic segments as a Silver. I have 5 domestic segments on this trip, and only PHL-CLT looks iffy for the upgrade. Once I get a higher status, I am more likely to do this. Also, I just got back from a vacation in Ireland/UK, so I figure I can get a pint of Guinness at the airport and it will be fresh.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:14 pm

If it's solely a MR, I wouldn't do it. However, if you value the flight in of itself, then maybe its worth it.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: SQ
If it's a MR there's no reason to pay for an upgrade. Often you're only flying the route for the miles, and it's an undesirable destination.

If you're willing to spend, why not just fly somewhere interesting or warm instead and have a vacation. Certainly spending 500$ to go so Europe would be a better value to me than spending 250$+300$ for an upgrade on a transcon on US.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 1:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Where are you flying from/to? I thought it was $500 to upgrade TATL on US, but it could be less for PHL-DUB, possibly MAN/LHR. Keep in mind that there could be taxes on top of this.

I've been upgraded on US MR's a couple times...knew the Envoy FA, and he talked to the station manager about moving me to a vacant seat.
Another time I paid $500 to upgrade MUC-PHL. I had a bit too much to drink in MUC the night before, and felt barely able to stand, and the flight was fairly full. Then after I got back, I sent an email to CS about some seat issues, tray table, etc...and got a voucher for $250.

Generally going to Europe, I won't bother if on a MR. I'll take some Tylenol PM to knock myself out, and hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.