Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Considering a MR on DL, first timer, advice please!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I will be traveling to DC on business the week of Jan. 18th. I can fly CHS-ATL-IAD roundtrip for $380 (leaving Tuesday, returning Saturday), or I can fly CHS-ATL-IAD, then IAD-ATL-SFO-ATL-CHS on the same days for $497. As I've never done a mileage run before, I'd like to know 1) if this is a good deal, 2) if I can improve my earnings (aside from buying up to a Y/B/M fare), and 3) if I'm nuts for even considering blowing my Saturday on two cross-country flights. The direct roundtrip is 2066 miles , while the flight home through SFO is 6344 miles, for a cpm of ~$.08. Would you do it, given the opportunity?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
That's not really a good deal. People look for CPM under .02 or at most under .03.

As far as blowing your weekend? Well that's to be decided - I flew DCA-PHX-SFO-PHX-DCA in 1 day and while my family and friends thought I was nuts, that's just normal here :-)

Edit:

If your willing to fly into BWI:

CHS-ATL-BUF-JFK-BWI-JFK-BUF-ATL-CHS which gives ~2900 miles (4400 if you get 500 min segments) for $340

or CHS-ATL-MKE-MSP-BWI-JFK-BUF-ATL-CHS which gives ~4800 miles for $340 (again with 500 min segments)

Both would be brutal at ~10 hours each way.

Last edited by GoodOmens; Jan 4, 2010 at 9:56 pm
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Okay, let me sweeten the pot (I think I'm just begging for acceptance here!):

The differential from what I'm already having to fly would be 4278 more miles, for an additional $117, or $.027 per mile, and a full day in the air. Would you bite then?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
By your measurement I am nuts too. I am doing 5100bis miles SDF-MKE the same week.

I did notice you are not chancing the outbound more than necessary, smart move. I too play the "for $x more I can route this way" game. If you have nothing else to do I say go for it. My concern would be how to expense it? I have never mixed my tangent routings with business flights.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
looks good to me....go for it....good luck...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

It's booked. I actually got a lower price tonight - $460 for the trip, CHS-ATL-IAD-ATL-SFO-ATL-CHS. This is $80 over the more straightforward CHS-ATL-IAD and back, for 4,278 more miles, or $.019 per mile over what I'm already required to fly.

Wish me luck; it's going to be one long Saturday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.