Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where to buy ITA itineraries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy ITA itineraries?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM || CX - Diamond || Hilton - Silver || SPG - P100
Red face Where to buy ITA itineraries?

OK, so i have been reading and practicing and compiling all the tricks for using ITA, found a couple of cool trips (nothing below .04, so didnt think it was worth posting). Now that I have found these good itineraries where should i purchase them? everyone leans towards using a travel agent - is there a good web based travel agent that will process a specific route for a good price if i send them a trip?

PS. i am turning all of the tricks posted by others into a pdf which i will post, including examples.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Orbitz, expedia, the airline website. AA travel agent is not always necessary.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:08 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
If the itinerary is pretty straightforward (one carrier, simple roundtrip), I definitely try to book on the airline's website.

If it is a more complex/mixed itinerary, I usually use Orbitz.

With Orbitz's Price Assurance, though, I'm considering using it for all of my bookings.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:03 pm

Have you (or anyone else?) actually redeemed on the price assurance? Seems like a gimmick they offer because they know they will rarely pay out.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by xanthuos
If the itinerary is pretty straightforward (one carrier, simple roundtrip), I definitely try to book on the airline's website.

If it is a more complex/mixed itinerary, I usually use Orbitz.

With Orbitz's Price Assurance, though, I'm considering using it for all of my bookings.
Why would Orbitz be better for more complex itineraries?

I've been using AA.com, and if I write down all the flight numbers, I can use the multi-city thing and precisely specify dates/times and select the same flight numbers. Of course, my most complex route is only an 8-segment international trip (which I'm starting tonight!), so perhaps those are easier to specify/book?

I'm thinking of using expedia in the future for TY points, hence my question
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:26 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by nfg05
Have you (or anyone else?) actually redeemed on the price assurance? Seems like a gimmick they offer because they know they will rarely pay out.
There are reports even here on FlyerTalk of successes with the Price Assurance. You don't even need to "redeem" it - it's automatic.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

I've been using AA.com, and if I write down all the flight numbers, I can use the multi-city thing and precisely specify dates/times and select the same flight numbers. Of course, my most complex route is only an 8-segment international trip (which I'm starting tonight!), so perhaps those are easier to specify/book?

Mixed itineraries of several airlines, for one (especially airlines not in the same alliance).
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:27 pm
Suspended

just booked a 12 segment UA itinerary. did via UA phone line. found that is the best way for complex itineraries. the websites all seem to die after anywhere between 6 and 10 segments. have yet to find a good one for a 12 segment run.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

AA.com is typically horrible for mixed alliance bookings (IME), because it often won't pull up some of the lower fare buckets. However, a call to AA and ticketing over the phone usually works. You can give them the exact flight numbers and dates you want, even the inventory you want to book in.

You don't even need an AA flight as part of your itinerary, either. Excellent if you have EXP status (no service fee for ticketing over phone).
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by xanthuos
Mixed itineraries of several airlines, for one (especially airlines not in the same alliance).
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
AA.com is typically horrible for mixed alliance bookings (IME), because it often won't pull up some of the lower fare buckets. However, a call to AA and ticketing over the phone usually works. You can give them the exact flight numbers and dates you want, even the inventory you want to book in.

You don't even need an AA flight as part of your itinerary, either. Excellent if you have EXP status (no service fee for ticketing over phone).
Thanks. I'll give expedia or the EXP desk (after a month or so ) a try then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.