Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

What to do for overnight stay in Boston if too cheap to pay for hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

What can be done if I'm too cheap to pay for a hotel in Boston? I'm doing a mileage run in about a week and will have 10.5 hours between landing and take-off the next day. I get in at 9:55pm and leave at 8:30am. I figure I probably want to be at the airport an hour before and transit to/from the airport will take about 90 minutes to 2 hours (to be on the safe side) both ways, so that leaves me with 7.5 hours I have to kill.

I was thinking of 24-hour cafes, where I can hopefully just sit and read and do some work. Are there places like that? I found a Bova Bakery, but it has no seating, and I'm not sure I can stand for 8 hours straight. There are some 24-hour diners, but maybe it'll look strange if I can't seem to finish my meal after several hours. I suppose I can hop between places. That's fine by me, but I'd like to not run into sketchy areas by accident, so I'm asking the FT community for help I'm not very familiar with Boston, but I have been there three times, so I have a small sense about the size.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
http://www.sleepinginairports.com/
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:31 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
You could sleep in the airport or you could stay at a hostel.

Halothane
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
This is a funny link! I may just try this for the experience.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
http://www.sleepinginairports.com/usa/boston.htm

some reviews for Boston:

Here is some information that we've picked out of from your reviews. Be sure to read the reviews on the next page for the most up-to-date info:

* Terminal A - cold granite floor, stainless steel, glass building, benches with armrests
* Terminal B - cold and noisy, rocking chairs, chapel (locked at night), bucket seats at gates
* Terminal C - rocking chairs, look for the kidsport play area for kids
* Dunkin Donuts open 24/7
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jfkeze
http://www.sleepinginairports.com/usa/boston.htm

some reviews for Boston:

Here is some information that we've picked out of from your reviews. Be sure to read the reviews on the next page for the most up-to-date info:

* Terminal A - cold granite floor, stainless steel, glass building, benches with armrests
* Terminal B - cold and noisy, rocking chairs, chapel (locked at night), bucket seats at gates
* Terminal C - rocking chairs, look for the kidsport play area for kids
* Dunkin Donuts open 24/7
The rocking chairs aren't too bad but bring a set of heavy clothes. The airport probably gets cold as h..l at night. Also, if you are not an AC member may want to buy a day pass for $50. You can at least show up at opening to shower and shave (that AC does have showers) and be presentable for your return flight. Take it from someone that spent at night at ORD (actually was only about five hours), don't plan for much upon getting home as you will be exhausted.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: Various
You can do what I used to do 10+ years ago. Go to the hostel and stay for (now) $40 a night. Hop on the "T" Blue line to Government Station, transfer to the Green Line to Hynes Convention Center station, walk across down Boylston West to 12 Hemenway St. Quite simple and economical!!

You might want to make a reservation if it's a Fri or Sat night.

http://www.bostonhostel.org/contact.shtml

BTW, These days I've upgraded, and last time I booked a room on Priceline for $55...planned carefully, I was able to do it with a hotel that offers a free shuttle.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:36 am

Two things I have done:

1. Sleep in the airport. I've slept in the Dublin Airport on two occasions and it wasn't bad at all.

2. Couchsurf (www.couchsurfing.org), cheapest option out there!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Terminal E is your friend.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Not wanting to pay for a hotel is one thing, but not wanting to sleep is another.

I would assume you want to sleep still? If you can't afford $50 bucks for some shelter somewhere maybe MR isn't a good use of $.

I have slept in several airports and they were all less than refreshing. You are already flying a great distance, at least sleep somewhere. Don't stay up all night drinking coffee in some diner or donut shop.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Boston

(sing along time)

It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.....
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Well, I'm a night owl by nature, and have been going to bed around 5am the past few weeks. I figure staying up with dozing off for a few hours is not really a big problem. Assuming my body can maintain west coast time, 5am is 8am in Boston.

10.5 hours though might be enough to bore me to death, but maybe I'll spring for wifi if I can't find free wifi. The internet always keeps me happy. I was afraid the airport might shut down and they'd push everyone out, but if they'll let me stay, then I'll try to make the most of it.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
24 hour bowling - http://www.bostonbowl.com/

Restaurants and Bakeries open 24 hours - http://www.boston-online.com/boston2...ies/index.html

South Street Diner - http://southstreetdiner.com/
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Well, I'm a night owl by nature, and have been going to bed around 5am the past few weeks. I figure staying up with dozing off for a few hours is not really a big problem. Assuming my body can maintain west coast time, 5am is 8am in Boston.

10.5 hours though might be enough to bore me to death, but maybe I'll spring for wifi if I can't find free wifi. The internet always keeps me happy. I was afraid the airport might shut down and they'd push everyone out, but if they'll let me stay, then I'll try to make the most of it.
wifi is kind of a must for longer layovers... take advantage of Boingo (under $10/month) - it works almost anywhere (including BOS, obviously).
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
What can be done if I'm too cheap to pay for a hotel in Boston? I'm doing a mileage run in about a week and will have 10.5 hours between landing and take-off the next day. I get in at 9:55pm and leave at 8:30am. I figure I probably want to be at the airport an hour before and transit to/from the airport will take about 90 minutes to 2 hours (to be on the safe side) both ways, so that leaves me with 7.5 hours I have to kill.

I was thinking of 24-hour cafes, where I can hopefully just sit and read and do some work. Are there places like that? I found a Bova Bakery, but it has no seating, and I'm not sure I can stand for 8 hours straight. There are some 24-hour diners, but maybe it'll look strange if I can't seem to finish my meal after several hours. I suppose I can hop between places. That's fine by me, but I'd like to not run into sketchy areas by accident, so I'm asking the FT community for help I'm not very familiar with Boston, but I have been there three times, so I have a small sense about the size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.