Wiki Posts
Search

Delta from ATL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
Delta from ATL

Any good mileage runs originating in Atlanta and return?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Your best best is monitor the fares on something like www.farecompare.com. ATL is usually an expensive place to fly out of. You would find better deals out of an airport like Charlotte.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by newfie
Previous poster is right. Atlanta can be tough for MR's. I do see some ATL-Washington State fares often that are reasonable...not a GREAT deal though...but not too bad. What kinda mileage are you talking? Budget? Assuming you are looking for MQM's correct? Willing to overnight? Keep NW and CO on your radar as well...as well as flights from BHM/CLT etc...
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Klarity7
Previous poster is right. Atlanta can be tough for MR's. I do see some ATL-Washington State fares often that are reasonable...not a GREAT deal though...but not too bad. What kinda mileage are you talking? Budget? Assuming you are looking for MQM's correct? Willing to overnight? Keep NW and CO on your radar as well...as well as flights from BHM/CLT etc...
Add BNA, GSP, JAX and SAV to the list. BNA and JAX seem to be excellent starting points for MRs.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by newfie
If you are willing to drive a couple of hours each way, I recommend Birmingham (BHM), Alabama.

As an example, go to www.delta.com and price a round-trip flight from Atlanta to San Diego.

Now, using those same dates, replace Atlanta with Birmingham.

Please report back here with the prices that you have found for the exact same dates — and, in many cases, the exact same flights.

If you need further proof, try this same experiment with El Paso as a destination instead of San Diego.

As an additional benefit, Northwest Airlines flights also fit into this equation if you are seeking Delta SkyMiles and Medallion Qualification Miles.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:22 pm

Great tip about substitute cities. I'm new to this and am learning a ton. I found March flights SEA-JAX via ATL on DL (using ITA) for $179 a/i. Is that a pretty good price for 5000 miles?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kmcg
I found March flights SEA-JAX via ATL on DL (using ITA) for $179 a/i. Is that a pretty good price for 5000 miles?
At 3.58¢ per SkyMile, it is good — perhaps even borderline on great — but certainly not the best. This, of course, is assuming that you are not a Gold or Platinum Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Medallion elite member.

I gauge the value of the price based on elite qualifier miles such as Medallion Qualification Miles, not on regular miles. Gold and Platinum Delta Air Lines SkyMiles Medallion elite members earn double miles on every trip, so I look to halve the cost per Delta Air Lines SkyMile. 3.58¢ per Medallion Qualification Mile would qualify as great to me, but it is still not the best.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:39 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by kmcg
Great tip about substitute cities. I'm new to this and am learning a ton. I found March flights SEA-JAX via ATL on DL (using ITA) for $179 a/i. Is that a pretty good price for 5000 miles?
I just did that MR on NWA this past weekend. Try getting the same dates on NWA. You should end up a better cpm ratio (~5.5k for $152 in my case).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:06 am

Thanks - interesting points. I really need to build miles in Alaska and United, but I actually want to take that trip to the southeast, so it's too bad AS has higher qualifying levels for partner flights. Kind of tempting to jump to another program, but I'll sit on my hands for now! Still, it's fun to explore the options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.