Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
CO: PDX-ZFV (Philly trainstation) 161.56 all-in

Fare is basis LDA3BSN.
Sample itin:

Flight: Continental Airlines flight 485 on a Boeing 737-800 Jet
Depart: Portland, OR (PDX)- Fri, Mar 02 7:30am
Arrive: Newark, NJ (EWR) - Fri, Mar 02 3:38pm
Connecting To

Flight: Continental Airlines flight 9443 operated by AMTRAK TRAIN 137 on a Train
Depart: Newark, NJ (EWR)- Fri, Mar 02 6:42pm
Arrive: Philadelphia Rail, PA (ZFV) - Fri, Mar 02 7:42pm

Return flights

Flight: Continental Airlines flight 9477 operated by AMTRAK TRAIN 194 on a Train
Depart: Philadelphia Rail, PA (ZFV)- Sat, Mar 03 3:18pm
Arrive: Newark, NJ (EWR) - Sat, Mar 03 4:19pm
Connecting To

Flight: Continental Airlines flight 784 on a Boeing 737-800 Jet
Depart: Newark, NJ (EWR)- Sat, Mar 03 5:30pm
Arrive: Portland, OR (PDX) - Sat, Mar 03 8:35pm

Last edited by billiam; Feb 6, 2007 at 5:46 pm Reason: correcting title
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Because people are likely to ask, Yes, you have to take the train ride(s). If you don't, CO will cancel your return. Happy fliying.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: US SP
Are there good ways to find low ZFV fares and to find good routings? A lot of online tools don't seem to handle them well.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by asimu pawa
Are there good ways to find low ZFV fares and to find good routings? A lot of online tools don't seem to handle them well.
virtually anything on CO from PHL that requires an EWR routing will on the train.

I think they have like 3 flights a day.... if that.

Rest are via IAH or CLE.

edit: I also clicked on this thread to say that it required the train ride.. it's fairly comfy and leaves you in Center City, Philly.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Less than $150 to be found

February 23 (Fri) Return Feb 26 is $149 RT including taxes. They are offering this fare on the very full 0730 departure. Marsha (NW silver) is presently stuck in a center seat and I have a window. It has been many years since this ignominius type of thing has happened.

This is a great deal for a CO elite, almost 6k eqm to PHL (almost 3K for us NW elites) with a chance for a transcon 1st class EUA.

Last edited by opushomes; Feb 6, 2007 at 9:12 pm
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by sbm12
Because people are likely to ask, Yes, you have to take the train ride(s).
This will be ideal training for those who need practice doing mileage runs — or, at least, they will be on the right track.

Please do not rail into me for posting this...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:11 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Thanks Canarsie for posting

Not only is this good practice for mileage runs. CO silver for less than $750, but also a good practice for a matress run. Our HHonors gold expires in April. They refuse to give more fast track offers to yours truly (there actually is note in file noting this). Four stays were needed by end of February, but 9 after March 1 due to the rolling stay qualification. This looked like an impossible task with 21 days left for this casual traveler when, CO decided to discount PDX-PHL. 4 Hiltons and Hamptons in 4 nights became easy and my wife gets a tour of eastern PA and western NJ to boot.

No brickbats thrown here.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because people are likely to ask, Yes, you have to take the train ride(s). If you don't, CO will cancel your return. Happy fliying.
I'm flying just one way (pdx-zfv) in March. If I check in for the Amtrak leg at the EWR train station, but don't get on the train, will get the 500 train miles?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Quick questions:
1. Do we get 500 EQMs for each train segment?
2. Any EUAs on Amtrak?!?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
Originally Posted by gforce
Quick questions:
2. Any EUAs on Amtrak?!?
that's the only hope on this MR.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by opushomes
February 23 (Fri) Return Feb 26 is $149 RT including taxes. They are offering this fare on the very full 0730 departure. Marsha (NW silver) is presently stuck in a center seat and I have a window. It has been many years since this ignominius type of thing has happened.

This is a great deal for a CO elite, almost 6k eqm to PHL (almost 3K for us NW elites) with a chance for a transcon 1st class EUA.
Great fare. But I can only find as low as $191.10 on continental.com
Any hints for the lower fare?

Thx!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by esofina
Great fare. But I can only find as low as $191.10 on continental.com
Any hints for the lower fare?

Thx!
I just plugged in my dates, using the flexible search feature. The fare popped up along with other higher ones. Unless one of Larry's lurkers read this thread and pulled it, you should find it if it is there. Remember, these fares are capacity controlled.

I plugged in my dates with the "search one day earlier and later" and got our $191.10 but $171.10 is available on dates nearby
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Originally Posted by gforce
Quick questions:
1. Do we get 500 EQMs for each train segment?
2. Any EUAs on Amtrak?!?

Amtrak is 250 minimum, not 500.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Book the trips as One Way . . . then you don't have to take the train from EWR-ZFV. You MUST get your own luggage in EWR, it doesn't transfer.
SR
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
Amtrak still uses paper tickets, and the train ride crediting usually takes a long time to process. Realistically, there is no way for CO to know that one did not ride the train, especially in a situation like a 1-day or 2-day MR run, unless I'm missing something here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.