Wiki Posts
Search

It was my fault: I was the guy trying to get 25k miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jerry crump
Then I've been getting ripped off for all these years. I've paid to go in buses, movie theatres, concerts, amusement parks, museums, rented movies, cable tv, DSL, long distance calls, payed college tuition etc... Even the all you can eat buffets were going to throw out the extra food at the end of the night and the vegtables at the super market were going to spoil and be thrown out. The clothes I wear were going to go out of season and out of fashion. There was a flood at the car dealership the week after I bought my car so insurance would have paid for it. My builder had to keep his guys busy or they would have found a job somewhere else.

Where does it end?
Everyone tries to cover their fixed costs. It ends when they don't.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Everyone tries to cover their fixed costs. It ends when they don't.
It hasn't ended yet in the airline industry.

As of 2005 Airline industry
Historical profits: $18-billion
Historical losses: $32 billion

Every time we pay $300 for a plane ticket some unlucky investor pitches in another $131.50 and we feel like all we cost the airline is peanuts a coke and $8.00 worth of fuel.

It gives me a chance to repeat investor Warren Buffett's old dig at the industry:
"If I'd been at Kitty Hawk in 1903 when Orville Wright took off, I would have been farsighted enough, and public-spirited enough -- I owed this to future capitalists -- to shoot him down."

Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
Then I've been getting ripped off for all these years. I've paid to go in buses, movie theatres, concerts, amusement parks, museums, rented movies, cable tv, DSL, long distance calls, payed college tuition etc... Even the all you can eat buffets were going to throw out the extra food at the end of the night and the vegtables at the super market were going to spoil and be thrown out. The clothes I wear were going to go out of season and out of fashion. There was a flood at the car dealership the week after I bought my car so insurance would have paid for it. My builder had to keep his guys busy or they would have found a job somewhere else.

Where does it end?
If you paid FULL price for the above mention items, then yes you have been getting ripped off!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold

Where does it end?
Research the "free-rider problem". People get up in arms about overbooking of airline flights, but if I paid $400 for a fare and guy B buys a last minute ticket for $2000, I get bumped. AA gives me a $400 voucher, a hotel room, dinner, and still provides me $400 worth of transportation. They still come out ahead.

Plus overbooking allows the airlines to charge less for everyone.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by guy999
you bought the seat and they let you fly, they shouldn't have treated you any differently.

that's just the way it works. if there wasn't snow and the plane was 30 percent empty they would have been dang happy to have you.
Maybe, maybe not. On my last AA trip, I flew MIA-SJU on a flight where every single seat was full. The last several times I took that same flight, it was half empty or more. As we were preparing to depart, I remarked to a flight attendant that the flight was usually a lot less full the other times I had taken it.

Her response was "and that's the way we [the FAs] like it. Of course, the company likes it this way. They must have been practically giving away seats to fill this plane up."

I didn't really have a good comeback to this, so I just sort of nodded and grunted.

Kind of reinforces the self-loading cargo ethos, no?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by crhptic
Maybe, maybe not. On my last AA trip, I flew MIA-SJU on a flight where every single seat was full. The last several times I took that same flight, it was half empty or more. As we were preparing to depart, I remarked to a flight attendant that the flight was usually a lot less full the other times I had taken it.

Her response was "and that's the way we [the FAs] like it. Of course, the company likes it this way. They must have been practically giving away seats to fill this plane up."

I didn't really have a good comeback to this, so I just sort of nodded and grunted.

Kind of reinforces the self-loading cargo ethos, no?
Most FA's don't have an MBA. I understand why an FA would enjoy working on a half-full plane. AA management would not be in favor unless they were filling seats at $10 fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.