Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st milage run if possible

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Question 1st milage run if possible

Ok, folks, MR and FT newbie in the last six months. I have to travel to IND the weekend below and I can leave from any airport in NC. I figure that CLT would be the cheapest. I'm 2P with United and would like to try this whole "millage run" thing.

15-Feb-07 CLT IND
18-Feb-07 IND CLT

I have tried to look up the valid routings on expedia, and I not having much luck. I copied the first few lines below...

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. I'm really not even sure if a milage run would be possible for these dates and airports...

Thanks! ^

To: Indianapolis, IN (IND-Indianapolis Intl.)
(and return)
Fare Basis Code: TA7AN

V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 TA7AN TX 69.00 ---- 7/1 -/ - 508
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-CLT TO-IND CXR-UA TVL-15FEB07 RULE-3102 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-TA7AN SPECIAL FARE DIS-N VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-SIP OW-INSTANT PURCHASE
USD 64.19 0508 E31OCT06 D-INFINITY TA7AN
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 31OCT06/0928 EXPIRES INFINITY
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:54 pm

What is your question? You want advise on what?

I'd advise you to read, read, read on here as I'm not entirely sure you even know what a mileage run is. You didn't even spell it right which may mean you are a bad speller (like I am) or it may mean you are confusing the meaning of the word.

There is a sticky that suggests what information you should post so that people are best able to give advise.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myfrogger
What is your question? You want advise on what?

There is a sticky that suggests what information you should post so that people are best able to give advise.
Thanks, got the list off the sticky...

1. No. of miles/segments that you have at present.
2. How many more miles/segments will it take to reach your goal.

Wont be able to get to the next level.

3. Where are you are based.

Specifically going from North Carolina to IND on dates above.

4. Whether or not there is some place specific that you would really like to go.
5. Dates you are available to travel are must a must - in both directions, please!
6. Also, it would help if you mentioned the budget, please!
Under $300 would be nice.

I am flying to and from IND and have all day to travel on both the beginning and ending days of my trip - which is why I thought it would be appropriate to try a mileage run...

I copied the fare stuff above because I couldn't find the 'routings' on expedia, and I think it may have been the fare I was somehow selecting doesnt have routings but only allows for the routing that was selected? Not sure if you are going to be able to make sense of that...

Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA, AS, HH, Hertz
So basically you're just trying to get the maximum amount of miles for a trip you need to take? It's not exactly concidered a 'mileage run', since you are actually traveling for a reason other than miles, but I find myself doing this a lot too, since I take a lot of long biz trips. I use the Star Alliance Mileage Calculator tool (google it) and itasoftware.com to figure out what are the possible routes and how long they are. Note, segments less than 500 mi give you 500 mi credit, so you'll need to add this to your total. For example, for $177 you can go through ORD and each of the short ORD-IND segments will credit 500 giving you 2,180 miles total.

Last edited by kaosx; Dec 11, 2006 at 12:14 pm
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
For $191, you can book an itinerary on a combination of UA and US codeshares that include 4 segments in each direction (8 total) on the days you plan to fly. To figure out how to do so, read the sticky about "How to Construct and Book a Mileage Run" and learn about searching using ITA software. You can easily specify 4 segments on one carrier in each direction.

Good luck!
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:24 am

I do a lot of segment runs with similar itns.
Try something like CLT-IAD -xxx (where this can be any number of valid cities)-ORD-IND. I usually try to stay on UA metal for the bonuses.
Just remember that in Februrary, cities such as ROC, BUF, may get nasty lake effects snows. Also good idea to have printouts of "alternate" routings just in case of delays/misconnects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.